Bluesbreaker vs VM 2266C

SmokestackElRopo

Reaction score
N 2011 I purchased a VM 2266C @ Sweetwater. I was gonna get a Bluesbreaker, I can find no comparisons. Didn't need tremolo. Is there that much difference?

SmokestackElRopo

Reaction score
I know about the Bluesbreaker but never heard one in person. Can't find a direct comparison. I know how my 2266C sounds, G12c sound a little different than G12M.

Last edited:

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
I do not have any personal experience. However, this from Steve Dawson, the designer of the VM.

"The Vintage Modern is basically a JTM45 with some hot rodding. For a JTM 45 tone select the low dynamic range, master volume on full, mid boost out, Detail at 2 -4 o'clock. Body at 1 - 3 o'clock and then dime the tones. This should be very close. I developed the Vintage Modern from the Super100JH I did before it. A hot rodded JTM45 period amp is quite rare so it seemed like a good idea to make it available to the public."

JohnH

Reaction score
I do not have any personal experience. However, this from Steve Dawson, the designer of the VM.

"The Vintage Modern is basically a JTM45 with some hot rodding. For a JTM 45 tone select the low dynamic range, master volume on full, mid boost out, Detail at 2 -4 o'clock. Body at 1 - 3 o'clock and then dime the tones. This should be very close. I developed the Vintage Modern from the Super100JH I did before it. A hot rodded JTM45 period amp is quite rare so it seemed like a good idea to make it available to the public."

I've had my VM combo for a few years, but never tried a JTM45 or Bluesbreaker. I've also seen that quote from Steve D a few times, but I've never made a careful test of exactly those settings until today. I used my HSS Strat, with amp attenuated.

It was pretty bright like that! But sounded really nice with a bit of tone turned down on the Strat. A neck single (TX Special) was edgy and just slightly compressing. The humbucker was smoothly crunching and breaking up, dialable back to clean with a bit less guitar volume.

I guess thats what it was all about!

dro

Reaction score
bought my Bluesbreaker as a more mobile version of the JTM45.

The best comparison I ever found.

Only problem was. I didn't count on the weight. Was still too heavy for an aging man to lift into the back of the truck.

Rehearsed it for a-while. hauled to one gig.

Sounded great, Went back to rehearsal and developed a short at the input jack.

Took back, traded for an acoustic.

Otherwise I'd probably still have it.

David Rivers

Reaction score
N 2011 I purchased a VM 2266C @ Sweetwater. I was gonna get a Bluesbreaker, I can find no comparisons. Didn't need tremolo. Is there that much difference?
they are two totally different circuits ..bluesbreaker is primarily a marshall jtm 45 4 inputs and u can jump the channels blending 2 together ..this is what clapton and many others use, past and present. A vintage modern is a much new circuit single channel amp with a master volume which is good if you want that really overdriven sound at a lower volume..i'm not sure where the VM 2266c is manufactured?? me personally i only prefer the ones made in England..typically the pcb inside are thicker and not imported if that makes a difference to you..best luck..

p.s a non master volume amp like the bluesbreaker, you can always use a nice overdrive/distortin pedal..and get killer sound..thats what i do

ken361

Reaction score
they are two totally different circuits ..bluesbreaker is primarily a marshall jtm 45 4 inputs and u can jump the channels blending 2 together ..this is what clapton and many others use, past and present. A vintage modern is a much new circuit single channel amp with a master volume which is good if you want that really overdriven sound at a lower volume..i'm not sure where the VM 2266c is manufactured?? me personally i only prefer the ones made in England..typically the pcb inside are thicker and not imported if that makes a difference to you..best luck..

p.s a non master volume amp like the bluesbreaker, you can always use a nice overdrive/distortin pedal..and get killer sound..thats what i do
its England made probably there best since the 800 most agree

JohnH

Reaction score

On the VM circuit, the guy who actually designed it says different.This from Steve Dawson, the designer of the VM.

"The Vintage Modern is basically a JTM45 with some hot rodding...."

He added an extra switchable gain stage, added the Master Volume, added an fx loop and configured the input circuitry to blend hi and lo with pots from a single input instead of 4. Also an SS rectifier. But, if you set it at max and switch out the extra stage, the idea is it's very JTM45.

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
On the VM circuit, the guy who actually designed it says different.This from Steve Dawson, the designer of the VM.

He added an extra switchable gain stage, added the Master Volume, added an fx loop and configured the input circuitry to blend hi and lo with pots from a single input instead of 4. Also an SS rectifier. But, if you set it at max and switch out the extra stage, the idea is it's very JTM45.

The SS rectifier would indicate that the base is the JTM45/100 rather than the series 1 JTM45.

SmokestackElRopo

Reaction score
Wow. Still yet tho, has nobody A/Bed these two? I can see some of the differences, but I can't hear em side X side. Vm 2266c is a smaller overall amp G12C speakers. Not intrested in tremolo. or pedal recommendations. Jus straight up. I got the VM to go With the JTM. I guees what Steve D said is about as good as it gets for me!
Thanx JohnH. And thanx to all who replied.

David Rivers

Reaction score

thats what i thought..it sounds like a great amp...i remember a long time ago an early jtm45 head i had..i change to output rectifier to a solid state rectifier, it seemed to give it a lil more uummff ..stay rockin

SmokestackElRopo

Reaction score
Yes, I have a JTM45 and a VM. The JTM has its own voice. Played thru a JCM 900 1936 w/2 redfangs, it will not sound like a Bluesbreaker. VM, the Hi dyn range is where it lives to bring in a bit more attitude when brought in thru the Voodoo Labs amp selector. I'm satisfied. I have not fired up the JCM 2000 DSL100 in 10 years.

vtrain

Reaction score
I had a 2266 head and sold it earlier this year and picked up a 2245 THW (Bluesbreaker head). The 2266 LDR is very sweet, but its gain ends at about 4 or 5 on the 2245 volume dial. I’m not saying the 2245 is a high gain amp (ha!) but it has way more on tap than the 2266 LDR. Switching to HDR doesn’t really fill in that gap as the amp’s character changes significantly. My vote is for the Bluesbreaker but YMMV.

Latest posts