Bluesbreaker is a Tube blower Help!!!

Kdubb

Reaction score
My bluesbreaker keeps blowing tubes any suggestions for repair, please took me 30 years to get this amp and a Les Paul, totally heart broken…

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
My bluesbreaker keeps blowing tubes any suggestions for repair, please took me 30 years to get this amp and a Les Paul, totally heart broken…

:welcome:

Sorry to hear this.

I've no idea how to help but if you would like to move this to The Workbench sub forum you will probably have much better luck solving the problem.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers!

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
That’s sad.
Would you like some help with it?
If so, a lot more detail would be beneficial.
eg why do you think the valves are blown?
How old is the amp, is it under warranty, when was it last serviced, is it a new purchase, has it ever worked ok for you, what exact valves brand and type, are you checking the bias eg what idle anode or cathode current are you setting them to?

neikeel

Reaction score
I agree with Pete, more info, preferably pictures if it is an old one and I am sure we can help.

El Gringo

Reaction score
It’s blowing main tubes and fuse it works a couple of times then back to blowing tubes
Don't mess around with this and as others have said to get this diagnosed by a good amp tech . Way back when I did not know any better in the 80's I had a Silverface Twin that kept blowing fuses and I kept replacing them and even went and purchased more of them from a local retailer (those days are gone ) . Until the one day I am playing and noticed smoke coming out of the back of the open back combo and seen blue and orange flame coming out from the transformer and the smell was that nasty electrical smell of the transformer burning up . I got if fixed with a replacement Transformer and the amp never sounded as good or the same again . Don't mess around and make the same mistake that I did . When amps do this there is a reason and save your self the aggravation and take it to a good amp tech and have it fixed correctly please !

Last edited:

Browneyesound

Reaction score
If you have 470ohm screen grid resistors, go up to 1.5k ohms, or feed the 470ohm resistors with a common 1k ohm from the B+ like the originals. Chinese KT66’s (assuming that’s what you are running) don’t take kindly to high screen grid current.

Any details on the amp? Reissue? Original vintage? Clone?

Kdubb

Reaction score
If you have 470ohm screen grid resistors, go up to 1.5k ohms, or feed the 470ohm resistors with a common 1k ohm from the B+ like the originals. Chinese KT66’s (assuming that’s what you are running) don’t take kindly to high screen grid current.

Any details on the amp? Reissue? Original vintage? Clone?
It’s a reissue 2013