>

Blackstar...

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Dogs of Doom, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

Vai & Yngwie

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Funny, I've been listening to lots of YJM the last few days, and am still amazed at how incredible he is. Especially in the Alcatrazz era, he was incredible. I can't begin to imagine how earth-shattering this might have been back in the day, probably as mind-blowing as it was when EVH first entered the scene.
    I mean, it shouldn't be legal to be this good:

That whole live show is unbelievable, the playing and tone are otherworldly and he makes it look so easy, that's borderline disgusting...

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

oh yeah, it started a revolution. There was a big neo-classical guitar shred movement. Mike Varney put Metal Blade Records to the task.

A lot of guitar players got to lay it all out, during the '80s.

While MTV & radio were concentrating on Poison, Ratt & Dokken, there was no shortage of guitar shred going on in the semi-underground record labels....

Think if Jason Becker & Marty Friedman, as well as Tony McAlpine. There was a lot more though. Vai was doing it, but, coming from Zappa, he had a "different" twist on shred. He ended up going more straight in his compositions, but, he was "out there" for a bit.

When he played for DLR, w/ Billy Sheehan, they both really gelled well, w/o overdoing it.

In this, Vai adds some real genius stuff. Of course, this being Yngwie's piece, anything he plays seems normal.

Yngwie's problem (to me anyway), was that after the 2nd album, he got formulaic. Everything sounded the same. Mostly sweeps & pedal points. You knew where it was going to go, before hearing it at 1st listen.

I like the stuff w/ JSS singing. Rising Force, etc...

tallcoolone and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Active Member

My favorite of Yngwie's. I'll never shred like him but damn I get chills watching Yngwie from back in the day just tear it up.

5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I'd extend it to his first 4 albums (up to Odyssey, the one with Joe Lynn Turner), but yeah, I definitely can understand the feeling. I feel like what he needed is being channeled into a band's music, which was the case in Alcatrazz and in some capacity in his first albums, then went away later on. Which also is the case IMHO with Vai, as my favorite album of his is Eat 'Em And Smile.
    Talking about Vai, yeah, the "out there" Zappa-ish factor is definitely obvious on Flex-able. And I have a few of his albums, but tbh, I prefer the bluesier playing YJM has, Vai is cool but for some reason I tend to tune out after a while.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  6. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

YMJ also has one of the best vibratos ever!

7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Active Member

Up there with Sykes!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.