Blackmore's Big Reveal About Marshall

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Deep Purple fan, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

There is an article in Guitar World titled " Ritchie Blackmore: Talking Tone, Gear, Deep Purple Years and Rocking Rainbow revival dated Aril 2018.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists...ep-purple-years-and-a-rocking-rainbow-revival

Interesting stuff raised by Ritchie especially about Marshall. Most of this stuff is not new at all and repeated many times and probably somewhat true. But, Ritchie is a notorious fibber, prankster and bullshit artist in interviews and has been for years. So take it for what it is worth. But, he claims before Marshall perfected his customized Marshall Major rig that they could not create his tone he loved from his (what he thought was under powered) Vox AC30. He claims that Marshall put Vox electronics in a Marshall combo and swore him to secrecy until they figured it out and added the extra gain stage he wanted in the Major. I knew he liked Vox and often recorded with Vox but I never heard the claim that he had a Marshall with Vox electronics before.

A notorious odd duck, Ritchie is the only artist Ive seen that never throws a bone to his signature gear. His Custom Shop strat is $5K and he never plays one and never promotes it. Same with his Engl. He still plays Engl but not his amp. So who knows if this is true.

2. xeizo

xeizo Member

Interesting thoughts, if not necessarily true. However Marshall did eventually figure it out as we all know

edit. BTW from what I've heard before so is the Marshall-design derived from the Fender Bassman. This thing with VOX plagiarism was totally new for me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Deep Purple fan likes this.
  3. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    I just posted a thread about the song Greensleeves, which Richie mentions in this article.

4. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I forgot, some interesting (big shout out ) for Yngwie (hi praise for sure), getting drunk with Bonham at his hooch behind the Rainbow Bar and how he got his first strat from Clapton's road crew.....with a bowed neck.

5. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

If you really break down the circuits, the AC 30 is not all that different from a Marshall 4 holer 1987/1959. Obviously, the power, but the power amp sections are pretty close with the long tail phase inverter. The preamp sections are close as well.

The Major as I remember has the tone stack in between V2A & V2B while the 1987/1959 has the tone stack after V2B and the cathode follower which the major does not use.

The AC 30 has a cathode follower with the tone stack following that.

I sure would like to see what Marshall did to his Major and how it was set up with an extra gain stage, if that is true. That would mean, it could be the first time a Marshall was set up or modified to be anywhere near a 2203/4 or even a hot rodded circuit leaning towards something like the SIR 36 type with the added gain stage.

I have always wondered what Blackmore used in the studio to record tracks, primarily around the period of Machine Head. That album has some of the all time greatest tones coming out of a Strat single coil pickups. Just listen to his guitar tone on the studio version of Lazy. I find it hard to believe that is coming from a 200W Major in the studio. Unless they were able to record high sound pressure levels without any issues and Richie blowing all the engineers out of the room. Plus the isolation/sound bleedover between band members on the initial tracking. Love his tones on Maybe I'm a Leo too.

It does sound like Richie is rolling his guitar volume down is most of the song, but he is still getting good bite and sustain on the cleaner passages. The overdubs sound good and sizzly like he is using his bridge PUP with some type of boost. Maybe a Treble Booster that was popular back then?

Anyway, I sure would like to know his studio rig in the Deep Purple years, even the Rainbow albums which are some of my all time faves . . . .

6. RickyLee

Just read that article. Richie does mention using a Treble Booster, though using it live. Could be a chance he used it in the studio I would say.

7. RickyLee

If you really think about it, and break it all down, this production and what they did here is f'ing amazing to say the least . . . . .

8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Vox at 17:35 looks like

9. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

10. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

ive always found the dude to be an asshole personally.
    he is his greatest fan for sure.

11. ricksconnected

don't see it.

12. RickyLee

What can you say about Ian Gillan. What a voice. Never heard that dude have a pitch problem singing live. And he usually goes for every high note duplicating what he has done on the studio recorded versions of their songs.

Does anyone else watching that clip have a problem with latency? The video lagging behind the sound by quite a bit. Drives me freakin nuts. And that happens a lot to most stuff I watch on youtube.

Any fix for that?

13. ricksconnected

Ian Gillan rocks. Born Again is my fav BlackSabbath album.

14. RickyLee

Good album.

I think that might be a different singer though, Ray Gillan?

15. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Every member of Purple MkII was a perfect fit, they bottled lightning with their jams :cool:

Deep Purple fan and RickyLee like this.
  16. ricksconnected

your thinking of Ray GillEN not IAN GillAN. both sang for BS.

17. RickyLee

I need to go back and hear that album. I know it is in my vinyl collection buried in storage. Will have to look for that one on CD . . . .

ricksconnected likes this.
  18. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

19. donkost

donkost Active Member

Count me as another person who loves his Machine Head tone. I'm 54 and I bought that album just a few years after release. Began playing in '76 and was blown away by it. I'm almost certain that was still VOX on that album. They recorded it in an old hotel in Switzerland, I believe using rooms, hallways, whatever, and a mobile recording unit. It might be among the best Strat rock tones ever recorded. Lazy, wow, such command over clean, sustain, grind, etc. Nothing fuzzy or with any chainsaw gain types of sounds. Plus I think it sounds like the guitar wasn't miked direct at the speaker cone- there is a lot of room ambiance in the sound. Guys back then, Page included, were masters at getting particular sounds without the need for a lot of post production. Now the thinking might be more like let's track this digitally and then we can do a thousand things to it after the fact.

Yes strange guy Blackmore. Awesome musician but never quite as well known as some of his peers- probably his own doing, who knows. He knew the overall band sound he was going for and wasn't afraid at trying different band members or starting new bands. Musicians he worked with and dumped might think he's a jerk but I have heard he is typically gracious toward his fans. Still gets a lot of Purple and Rainbow fans at the Blackmore's Night shows. He does play a Strat that is somewhat similar to his Fender signature model, the one that is around $1100. I have one of those and love the feel of the graduated scalloped neck.

RickyLee and Deep Purple fan like this.
  20. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

according to that article that vox thing was at the beginning (1970) as they eventually got it right for Ritchie with the major.

RickyLee likes this.