Blackmore...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dogs of Doom, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Trelwheen, Frodebro, ken361 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Great read there DOD thanks for sharing it.
    Cheers

3. Dogs of Doom

I just wonder , like here, he says:

wha? 400 watts? what was he playing?

Jimmy Page used to always say that he had amp's built more powerful all the time.

I wonder what the truth is about all of this. Maybe Blackmore is taking about the Major, which is 200 watts. They made a 250 watt version, later, but IIRC, it was a Super.

Jimmy said he had his Lead modified to push 200 watts. Some question if he had a Major, but, it seems he just ran KT-88s (x's 4), or???

Is there more to these stories, that will ever get out, or is it just BS talk, hyping up their already legendary contributions to the Father of Loud?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

One of my friends used to own a Major that was once one of Blackmore's amps. Now his brother owns it. It had at one time had a loop installed in it for a tape echo of some sort. (I don't know all the details.)

5. 79 2203

79 2203 Well-Known Member

Well I don't think his tone was fat like a LP/SG fat, but most of that beef is from VOLUME and to a lesser degree big iron. Something to be said for the Strats of the era because my 73 Strat sounds fatter than the CS Masterbuilt, Teambuilt, and production guitars I've owned when plugged into a 2203 with abit of volume.

In any case, I don't think there's any secret sauce going on. When I listen to my fave Blackmore era(70- 73), especially Made In Japan, all I hear is a skilled player with a stock Strat into a LOUD fullstack. It's not even that dirty really.

By the Rainbow era, when he'd started modding the amps, using the tape player preamp, and using early noiseless pickups, his tone went downhill IMO.

6. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I really like the Made in Japan era Blackmore tone. A cranked amp with RB at his best with a fat keyboard tone underneath filling space but never really competing. The sustain, vibrato and violin tones are superb.

7. 79 2203

79 2203 Well-Known Member

Yeah that was the magic combo for me. That guitar/keyboard sounded massive. Much heavier than bands with lots of gain.

8. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

There's some b/w footage somewhere of him playing I think strange kind of woman. His tone on that is super fat - you'd barely think it was a strat. I often wondered how he did that. Also his chops are awesome. In fact when I think about Purple at their best they're as good a band as you'll find anywhere.

9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Blackmore's AIWA TP-1011 tape recorder

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Deep Purple used to be one of my fav bands back in the day,...Richie Blackmore though, not so much.

Oh I admired his talent, that’s for sure, but the man came off as arrogant and buffoonish in most all the interviews I read of him.

I read a decent portion of this article and there are multiple contradictions.

11. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Great Share! :dude:

Sounds like he is reamping within the amp and the use of the recorder....no....

He had his recorder, Page and EVH had there Echoplexs.

His string gauge is cool. 010, .011, .014, .026, .036 and .042.
    He really eliminates the bass tone.

Do you change the nut?

No, because that’s only good for sustaining a note open. Once you hit a note on the first fret you depend on the first fret and not the nut.

Never thought of it this way.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. ShredMojo

ShredMojo Member

Always wanted to try an Engl Blackmore.

13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

While that is true, there are other reasons to have a quality nut material, and have it cut properly. Tuning and intonation are two of them.

14. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I’m sure the guitars are custom built . The power rating on the amps is off the charts . Wrote the book on power cords

15. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I don’t doubt the beefed up Marshall stories. Back then they needed the volume and didn’t really Mike the guitar amps. They didn’t have the sound systems of today. I heard as a kid he would go to the Marshall factory and have his amps worked on and would play at full volume. The employees hated it. Lol. I grew up in Long Island ad Blackmore had a home out there. My uncles friend played drums for rainbow starting with I believe the “straight between the eyes “album and a few more. Bobble Rondinelli.

16. Dogs of Doom

I wonder when the loop mod was from?

People weren't adding loops, etc., until late '70s - early '80s. Not to say that guys like Ritchie, Page, Gilmore, Townsend, etc., etc. weren't ahead of the game, because they had access, but, you never hear of those things until later on. Most mere mortals weren't mod'ing their amp's until mid-'80s...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  17. Melodyman

Melodyman Active Member

Back in 75 I was in a top 40 band that traveled to Oxnard to do a gig at a club stuck on the side of a bowling alley. After awhile this fellow came up to the stage and introduced himself as Ritchie Blackmores roadie. He wanted to tell me it was his birthday and pointed to a booth where this fellow and a chick were sitting. "He was wondering if it would be alright to come up and jam some tunes with you guys.." At the time I was using a Les Paul and a Marshall 1974 50w thru a 4x12 cab. I told him of course we would love that. I asked if he wanted to use my LP and he said 'No, we brought his white Strat along and he would play that." He jumped on the stage and plugged in to the normal channel (2) of my rig. First thing he did was turn the Presence knob all the way off. I asked him why he did that and he said 'never use any presence with a strat".. Turned the Midrange down about halfway and the bass up with the treble around half I think .. Volume on 10 of course.... Anyway, without any floor pedals back then, he got that thing to really sing. It was loud but sweet. Not piercing or cloudy sounding. Quite the unexpected encounter but we all did some tunes, took a break and consumed mass quantities together for his Bday.. WE all asked ourselves why this star guitarist would be coming to a club at a bowling alley in Oxnard California for his birthday celebration.. Turns out he lived there back then so this was his local hangout.. and thats my Richie Blackmore story!

18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

That's what I do play full blast so I know how it sounds! :)

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Yeah but only at your girl friends place!! :agreed::cheers:
    BP

20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

or mine:)

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.