Black Label Telefunken Real World Tube Review

RussBert

Reaction score
The Black Diamond Telefunken is the same as JJ?
Except cryrogenically treated, burned in, lab matched tested? (and triple the price)

That's what I gathered, anyway. Maybe I missed something.

Correct on all points

There was a time when it was called snake oil, or my favorite, putting lipstick on a pig

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Has anybody done a side by side comparison of the Telefunken with a stock JJ EL34? I'd be very curious before I plunk down the cash for a set of Telef which Im thinking about doing.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

OK, its been awhile since I actually read the reviews. Heres what tubedepot told me today about them:

"Telefunken Black Diamonds, they actually start off as JJ's. We cryogenically freeze them here and then send them off to Telefunken (in South Windsor, CT) who then put the tubes through a meticulous selection process, extended burn in, et cetera. So essentially, the Telefunken Black Diamonds are high performing JJ's."

I like JJ's but I'm not sure if I'm inclined to buy high dollar JJ's, special treatment or not.

EDIT: I just reread all the reviews (including mine) and I'm interested again, on again off again, I cant make up my mind! A couple people mentioned TAD as their favorite CP tube, that's got me interested now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great work, very helpful review.

Interesting as well that CP tubes survived all that traveling in the mail system.

While reading this thread and noticed this statement, I just wanted to know if it is essentially true that the longer tubes stay in transit, there is a good chance they will become damaged.

I just had this happen to me and refusing the shipment was based on partially the fact that the tubes were lost in the mail going from state to state for days.

Latest posts