Black Friday - No one budges on Marshall gear

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by PowerTube44, Nov 26, 2021.

1. playloud

playloud Well-Known Member

If anyone in this thread is actually hoping to buy something at a discount today - this is what you do. GC/MF have had that ridiculous exclusions list since time immemorial, but if you call them, they tend to match it. And if the first person you call doesn't, trying call again...

I've got a lot of gear this way over the years.

Kim Lucky Day likes this.
  2. speyfly

speyfly Well-Known Member

Maybe "Cyber Monday" will be better.

I have to say having a good contact makes all the difference in the world to get deals. I know that SW gets a lot of negative press on the net but I usually get good to great deals. My rep has taken good care of me (15 years now) and if he can't get me a great deal he'll tell me and then I'll decide if I really want it. There are times that I've paid the advertised price but it's rare but he'll usually throw in over-night shipping.

Just sayin a good relationship and how you ask for the deal can pay huge dividends.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

There are laws in the US, and most Western Countries I believe, regarding Price Fixing or Collusion,… that's not what’s going on here.

jeffb and Jethro Rocker like this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

It's like 40 bucks and it works just fine.

5. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It's like 40 bucks and sucks larger than average ball sacks. I had the converter and It was just a plain pain in the ass suck. I sold the amp within a week.

6. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Yes

Thing is, all these alleged discounts being advertised this time of year can be had all year long if you just ask or do some minor haggling. I haven't paid full asking price for anything since about 1995.

The Black Friday/Cyber Monday stuff became meaningless about 5 years ago. Prior to that there were some genuine deals to be had, but now it's all homogenized with smoke & mirrors and "Black Friday all November/December long" spin.

Bill T and Adieu like this.
  7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

MAP pricing was created to prevent the big online retailers from underselling the brick and mortar dealers. When the online stuff started taking off you could get better prices from them than in a shop and this was killing the shops. So the dealers bitched long enough that the manufacturers initiated map. Now if a shop has the item, you will see the same price online.

8. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

:agreed:

9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Remind me not to go to Belgium.

DaDoc likes this.
  10. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

When Guitar Center had their Guitar-a-thon sale back in October, the local GC had $200 off a new SV20 head and at least that much off of some new Fender tube amps. I was surprised as those are two brands you never see discounted in big box stores or valid for coupons. But as mentioned, it never hurts to ask…

11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It’s not the store when it comes to Marshall stuff. (Mesa too, as well as some other brand.) If a store goes to low on the price they get scolded by Marshall and they will pull the brand if it continues. They can only go down on open boxes, demos and some returns. Even their speaker cabs fall under this. Always ask if they have an open box, and why the box was opened. I got my ESP this way, I think it was $1600-$1700 at the time and I paid $1000. Absolutely brand new, not a mark on it. My Schecter Strat was $2800 but I found a demo and paid $1900.

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  12. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't see any %off coupons for Gibson. Everything else cheap Strats, Jacksons, picks, tuning fork, string lube. Everything I really want. Guess nobody will be getting my cash this holiday season. I got your bonus! :wtf: Bullshit. Even used gear on Reverb, Ebay as well. I am not falling for the 0% BS either. Everybody should be boycotting buying gear because of the prices. Why would you pay that much more for something.

13. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Was wondering when the hell you were gonna show up and bitch about prices...................:D

mad5066, scozz, Kim Lucky Day and 4 others like this.
  14. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

What is going on here?

15. Msharky67

haha!!! I had my doubts about any sales. I am not making any big purchases this year. I will wait until my time is due. I won't be taken by greed!

scozz and anitoli like this.
  16. Msharky67

$200 off the $1599 price tag. $300 more than it should be to begin with. I wouldn't pay no more than $950 tops. Its a PC board not hand wired. Unless there's $1800 worth of gold in it I'm not buying it.

DaDoc likes this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Marshall doesn't price thinhs based upon what you personally can afford or are willing to pay. Someone else will buy them at 200 off.
    So don't buy one.
    What did you pay for your SC20 and 2525? 950 tops?

scozz, LCW, tidbit and 3 others like this.
  18. Marcomel79

Marcomel79 Well-Known Member

You should write Marshall and let them know what you think

LCW likes this.
  19. Msharky67

I paid $850 for my SC20h and full price for the 2525h after selling my 2204!

20. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

I see no way out of the "buy now or never" rut that has been going on since the used market was all bought up during lockdown. There are just so many factors influencing these cost rises from inflation to covid that I don't think over the next few years these items are going to get any cheaper, but the opposite, more expensive. So basically if you want a Marshall amp, you should have bought it yesterday. That's been my thinking since Covid/Brexit and I don't think it's changing anytime soon.

The money we paid for gear before all that was bad enough. Now it is just plain nuts.

If you buy one amp head and spend these sorts of lavish amounts of money on one, then that's okay for a treat. GAS doesn't work that way though. I have never tried to put the costs of my amp farm together in my head or my pedal collection. Why? I would probably be horrified at the amount. Likely five to ten times more than I ever planned on spending and half the items I probably didn't need.

As pointed out by other users, many of these amps are not custom hand-wired and that's true. If you really want that next-level item, then buy custom or pay someone who knows modding to mod your gear (I never mod my gear except to true bypass a pedal, but that's just me). However, I suspect that people who know a lot about amps and how they are wired could probably just go build their own Plexi or JCMs with a kit and save all that money. That's what I would be doing if I had the time, knowledge and love of amps.

I think there are many people in my position who probably wished they got a profiler/modeler much earlier. Those rig chains have been very influential in my purchase choices since and helped put a bit of control over my own GAS. Right now the only Marshall I am missing from the latest lineup is a Silver Jubilee. I still debating that one.