Bittersweet Friday

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by saxon68, Dec 10, 2020.

1. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

So last Friday was a very bittersweet day.
    Buddy of mine who plays bass and was very active in the scene with benefit shows passed away at age 50, cancer.

The Friday before I’d had a surgery for melanoma excision , and 2 other moles that were “atypical” were excised as well, plus removal of 2 satellite lymph nodes and one other in the same region, these were lit up by the nuclear med test.

anyhow, last Friday after a crappy day, at 7:30 PM my surgical oncologist calls and I fear the worst because we’ve got a follow up scheduled for the next week (today actually).

as it turns out, the margins on all the excisions are cancer free (inner part had melanoma on the one) and the lymph nodes are all clear.

I’m cancer free! Have to get follow ups every 3 months then every 6 for a couple years, it’s considered A1 remission they say.

definitely making some life changes and getting back in shape as soon as this huge wound on my back heals.

Nurses at the hospital all asked how we caught it so early, told them my wife checks all my moles every couple months and takes pictures to compare.

Get your moles checked!!!!!

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Make everyday count . Thanks for sharing this

tce63 likes this.
  3. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Having gone through the Melanoma removals myself, I know how fun that phone call is. My doctor also called very late on a friday.

Really glad to hear its all clear.

Mines been gone for 5 years, and I currently have 6 monthly checkups, used to be 3 months.

I look at the photo of mine and still dont think it looks suspect, the fact my GP found it and had it removed so quick is something I am very very thankful for.

Remember kids, cover up and wear sunscreen. At the start of every summer I post photos of my freshly cut up head and neck to remind people that the sun isn't cool.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

My father died from melanoma on his ear at age 64, I’m 52 now so wife keeps a watchful eye.

5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I have been trying suicide by covid-19 for eight months now and no damn luck!
    And it is now Friday again.