junk notes

Reaction score
Sir Billy Joel?
elton-john.jpg

not a versus thing.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
man, wow.
never thought to put these two toe to toe. only cross could have come up with this. :applause:

i like them both and cant pick one. they are like over lapping rings in the olympics flag.
my EJ fav is candle in the wind. writen perfectly and its from the heart about one of his dearest friends
Princess Diana of whom i too had much respect for. she was a well dressed, well mannered,
much loved. well respected, very classy rebel. and one of the greatest humanitarian's in our life time.
but if you cant feel the love and the sorrow in that song your just not alive.

Billy has had some seriously good songs over his life time. my fav is we didnt start the fire.
nope not his best but its the song he says the most in imo. its a very powerful song.
but Allen Town is a close second.

both of these guys are of the highest examples of real musicians in my book.
im just thankful i got to grow up listening to them both. they both have given us a lot.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I rate them pretty equally. It isn't because they both play piano--for some reason I have always thought of them in the same light, as obviously many of you have.

Both have produced some wonderful, majestic music. Both have produced some real crap. I'll give the edge to Billy Joel because he had the sense to stop making records once he ran out of good music. Elton kept on making records long after he had done his best.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
They are both so neck and neck to me they're inseparable. I'm not a huge fan of either, but certainly enjoy a good number of songs by both of them. Levon and Captain Jack are my two favorites. I went to see Billy Joel at the end of his prime - maybe 1985 or so. I also could have gone to see Elton Johns first farewell tour around the same time, but I passed. So I guess it's Billy Joel if I had to choose, because I once made that very choice.

In retrospect, I wish I had seen Elton. I'm sure it was a fine show, because Billy Joel was excellent. At the time, I probably refused the ticket because he was really way past his prime and didn't want to hear any of the crappy newer songs.
My wife's best friend went to the co-tour John & Joel did together. She said Billy was a complete showman and that Elton was boring as watching ice melt.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
man, wow.
never thought to put these two toe to toe. only cross could have come up with this. :applause:

i like them both and cant pick one. they are like over lapping rings in the olympics flag.
my EJ fav is candle in the wind. writen perfectly and its from the heart about one of his dearest friends
Princess Diana of whom i too had much respect for. she was a well dressed, well mannered,
much loved. well respected, very classy rebel. and one of the greatest humanitarian's in our life time.
but if you cant feel the love and the sorrow in that song your just not alive.

Billy has had some seriously good songs over his life time. my fav is we didnt start the fire.
nope not his best but its the song he says the most in imo. its a very powerful song.
but Allen Town is a close second.

both of these guys are of the highest examples of real musicians in my book.
im just thankful i got to grow up listening to them both. they both have given us a lot.
Candle In the Wind was originally about Marilyn Monroe. He just rehashed it for his "good friend" Dianna.

It smacked of being rushed to cash in on a tragedy, IMO.

Marilyn's birth name was Norma Jeane Mortenson. The song was written in 1973 long before Dianna was killed.

For your enjoyment.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Candle In the Wind was originally about Marilyn Monroe. He just rehashed it for his "good friend" Dianna.

It smacked of being rushed to cash in on a tragedy, IMO.

Marilyn's birth name was Norma Jeane Mortenson. The song was written in 1973 long before Dianna was killed.

For your enjoyment.

did not know that. damn.

JohnH

Reaction score
I voted EJ, hes great and Ive seen him live 3 times over the decades. But I really don't need to hear him as often as he keeps popping up rolling out his old songs from 30 to 50 years ago at every big occasion.

Redders

Reaction score
Easy choice for me, Elton all day. But I love Billy Joel as well. Just had "The Stranger" spinning on the turn table about an hour ago actually

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
whenever I hear "My Life", I think of an unhinged little brat.

"Leave me alone, it's my life!!!"

That's what he based the whole song around, sounds like a whiney little bitch to me... :shrug:

I'm not a fan of either, but, I can tolerate Elton more...

I think a really cool aspect about music is that two different people can hear the same song, yet have two completely different takes on it. Even if the artist writes it a certain way, it could be interpreted by a fan another way. What matters, is if it connects. I don’t think of my bratty self in that song, but rather a couple of periods of annoying adulthood.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think a really cool aspect about music is that two different people can hear the same song, yet have two completely different takes on it. Even if the artist writes it a certain way, it could be interpreted by a fan another way. What matters, is if it connects. I don’t think of my bratty self in that song, but rather a couple of periods of annoying adulthood.

Oh, but sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's okay, you wake up with yourself

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Billy Joel is my choice:

Summer Highland Falls
Scenes…Italian Restaurant
New York State of Mind
You’re My Home
Leningrad
Stiletto

He’s outstanding!!!
Billy is the better pianist and lets not forget that HE wrote all his lyrics-Elton did not.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Billy Joel is my choice:

Summer Highland Falls
Scenes…Italian Restaurant
New York State of Mind
You’re My Home
Leningrad
Stiletto

He’s outstanding!!!
Billy is the better pianist and lets not forget that HE wrote all his lyrics-Elton did not.

Oh yeah? I didn’t know EJ didn’t write his own lyrics … not sure how to feel about that!

purpleplexi

Reaction score
EJ is one of if not the UK's best white soul singer. BJ though has written some truly great and I mean great pop tunes. And some even greater ones on his albums. My fave is 'storm front' - some very very good songs on that album.
EJ can't write his address without help.

Redguitar

Reaction score
I discovered EJ in the mid 70s. I even have an original 45 of "A" side...Philadelphia Freedom, and "B" side...I Saw Her Standing There"...a duet of him and John Lennon, from his (JL) last live recording. He is one of a few artists that are deserving of the title "Sir" for a musician/cultural contributor. I base that on what I've heard of his classics, but really not knowing any modern songs by him.

BJ wrote some major hits and has talent. I do tell folks at work though, that if I never hear a BJ song again, I will be fine. I'm not that lucky with female mngmnt selected, piped in "music selists", playing all day throughout the shop. More than enough BJ, but not of the right kind.

I read a ways back that when EJ & BJ were gigging together in vegas, that EJ insinuated that BJ was a "glug, glug, glug guy". I kind of am too, but not enough glug to hear any BJ ever again.

They both rock though!