Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Elton John

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about this question so many times over the years. How do you even choose? I probably won’t even cast a vote in this poll until it looks like it’s run it’s course, and even then, I’ll probably just vote for the one who’s trailing. A nearly impossible choice for me. The one song that might push it over the edge for me is My Life by Billy Joel (sometimes a song just hits you in the feels).

Let’s kick this off with a couple classics from both.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Neither is hard rock, but BJ has at least picked up a guitar and used it in his recordings and even on video. (A Matter of Trust)

Elton has, however, been responsible for some really rocking classics. (Crocodile Rock, and Saturday Night, to name two.)

Neither is in my top ten list, far from it, but I'd say I've enjoyed more of Elton's music. No doubt about it.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Billy is the local boy around here, next town over. Has a awesome house on the water on Centre Island, He was popped for DWI a few times and they let him go. Has a cool motorcycle Museum in town, everybody likes him around here. But Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was my 1st album bot as a kid and I still listen to it...going with Elton

That guitar sound blew my mind as a kid, trying to figure out what made that sound... My Mother took the album, read the lyrics to this song and declared it "obscene"

loved the bass line...

Coolest intro..

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Although...first time me n the buds tripped out, Billy's "Captain Jack" was playing on the radio, cemented into my memory from then on....ha ha, longggg ago

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are both so neck and neck to me they're inseparable. I'm not a huge fan of either, but certainly enjoy a good number of songs by both of them. Levon and Captain Jack are my two favorites. I went to see Billy Joel at the end of his prime - maybe 1985 or so. I also could have gone to see Elton Johns first farewell tour around the same time, but I passed. So I guess it's Billy Joel if I had to choose, because I once made that very choice.

In retrospect, I wish I had seen Elton. I'm sure it was a fine show, because Billy Joel was excellent. At the time, I probably refused the ticket because he was really way past his prime and didn't want to hear any of the crappy newer songs.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Elton John by a freakin' mile. Elton John is kinda like a modern Cole Porter.

"Saturday Night's Alright" and "I'm Still Standing" are a jam packed with energy; "Your Song" and "Candle In The Wind" are great ballads. "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" sounds a great tribute to 1950's.

PelliX

Reaction score
Elton John by a freakin' mile. Elton John is kinda like a modern Cole Porter.

"Saturday Night's Alright" and "I'm Still Standing" are a jam packed with energy; "Your Song" and "Candle In The Wind" are great ballads. "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" sounds a great tribute to 1950's.

This ^ for me, pretty much. Additionally, I sort of appreciate Elton John as a person. He has a sense of humor and he can laugh about himself. Definitely has more charisma on stage of the two if you ask me. Nothing against Billy Joel, but ... no.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
whenever I hear "My Life", I think of an unhinged little brat.

"Leave me alone, it's my life!!!"

That's what he based the whole song around, sounds like a whiney little bitch to me... :shrug:

I'm not a fan of either, but, I can tolerate Elton more...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I don't care for Billy Joel at all but some of what I Iike about Elton is the song writing of Bernie Taupin.

Funny coincidence we just saw a Elton John tribute show on the cruise. The dude is one hell of piano player !