Big Muffs and DSL40CR OD1 channel

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Matopotato, Mar 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Matopotato

Matopotato New Member

Hi,
    I am trying to get a Big Muff into the chain. I have tried a Little and Ram's Head and although they are all right on Clean and Crunch and do not completely mess up OD2, they never get along with OD1 it seems. The sound is like something broken more than something playable or musical. As if the Fuzz tones sometimes happen and sometimes not. It is most prominent among bass tones in chords. A very broken sound, but broken as in "not even cool broken". Like a comb with many teeth (?) missing.
    I have tried to bias it, but went for 35/35mA without checking the plate voltage.

2. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

I hear ya!
    Same experience here.
    I have a very hard time using distortion (Rat) or muff / fuzzes with my DSL40CR when using a Strat w/ single coil pickups. Doesn't matter which channel. It doesn't like too many drive pedals it seems.

Overdrives are OK though from what I tried.

I really don't need any more gain / distortion from any Marshall amp, especially with humbuckers.

Matopotato likes this.
  3. Matopotato

Matopotato New Member

Thanks,
    Well on Clean it is alright. OCD feels ok on Clean, Crunch and OD1, but OD2 is a bit too much. Wampler Sovereign is ok on the first 2 and maybe OD1 but I haven't tamed it yet not even a week old.
    Quite a few combinations with 4 channels and several pedals...
    I tried Fuzzface Mini green, and it didn't work for me. Too much of all or nothing, single expression. I couldn't figure out volume knob on guitar to get the sound, so I liked the Little Big Muff better off a friend. Now I am trying to A/B Ram's Head vs Green Russian.
    And they differ and they hardly do and one is preferred and I decide only to change again.
    They are not equal, but tough to choose between. Other pedals are yes/no/will grow within an hour almost...
    If Ram wasn't good/ok in the low end I'd go with russian. And if the Ram was not so shrill on the highs I'd go Ram. Will make some interval analysis, ie how much of the knob spectrum is useful and see if that helps.
    Maybe it boils down to color, return fee, cyrillic characters charm... kind of lost, but I have several days before return is due.

4. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Big Muff With Tone Wicker might be what you need. More tonal options on that version.

IMO Big Muff is not an easy pedal to blend despite the basic version being 3 dials. I'd recommend a fuzzface over one any day of the week.

Matopotato and Maggot Brain like this.