BIAS SETTINGS FOR MARSHALL 410 JOE SATRIANI

Darthslater

Reaction score
A little advice on the 6100, have cash ready and be willing to buy without hesitation if the deal is right.
That's what was required to score this bad boy: wow!! what a beauty!!

full

Doug Taylor

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I heard the man was on her Mr. Alvarez...I would have a few question for him
but the main one would be what do you bias the Marshall 410 JS at?
And is it better to run them hotter, colder or somewhere inbetween?
The other question would be why didn't he design a self biasing into this model
or at least a way to bias it from the outside?
Its funny, I asked Dave Friedman what mods he would do on this amp
His answer was simply.....NONE.
Anybody have any mods they would suggest and what reasons for doing so?
Hello Folks also,

Does anyone consider the input voltage variances and ground issues that can occur when playing at different venues? The power companies try to regulate 120vac as much as possible, but I still see input voltages being +/- 3% of 120vac. Basically 116vac low to 122.6vac high. So if you use a variac to set the input voltage at 120VAC to set up your amp, the real world where you may play could swing up or down. And like all transformers do, that same percentage is passed on to the secondary. So your plate voltages and bias settings are also going to change accordingly because the HV is not regulated inside the amplifier...Correct? The only way I have found to combat the over / under voltage and ground issues in the real world is to use a true RMS power conditioner which will keep your 120vac at 120vac within the manufacturers design tolerance window which is usually very low and it also protects from high joule surges plus EMI / RFI interference. Some do have staggered turn-on times for multi-socket units. Maybe this is not a major issue but it could explain why sometimes their amps seem lower or louder when using the same face plate settings at different venues and possibly why they are constantly replacing tubes.

Spanngitter

Reaction score
JVM 410 => 70mA per side ( which will run each tube (if properly matched) at ~35mA).
I prefer usage of NOS EL34 I still have for these amps (RFT made RSDs) at 66 (33)mA but also have at least half a dozend 410 equipped with JJ EL34 II and those like to run best around 72-74mA / side. An in terms of Mods. NEVER EVER mod a HJS, for the Standard there is some mods which I can recommend but a lot of the known mods floating around just either reduce the Amp to a OneTrick Pony or bring it into a range where it starts to run unstable or just f*ck up the sound.

Latest posts