Better AC Wiring Layout?

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I took my '53 Champ to my local guy. The amp sounds fine but could this have been done better? Here's a couple of gut shots. First, what it looked like when I got it.

09803EF2-0CB6-4B53-8951-BE13FA0ABAF3.jpeg

What it looks like now.

BA1FBDBE-CAFD-4D78-8A06-34C4A3B80590.jpeg

Looking at the first picture. Should I de-solder the primary tap and the .05 cap and remove the cap, then shorten and solder the white neutral directly to the PT primary. Then move the AC hot leg from the switch to the end of the fuse holder and solder another wire from the other end of the fuse holder to the AC hot side of the switch?

Last edited:

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
Should I de-solder the primary tap and the .05 cap and remove the cap, then de-solder the white power cord wire, shorten it and re-solder it with the primary wire to one end of the fuse, then run a wire from the primary tap side of the switch to the other side of the fuse?

It seems as if that would wire the fuse between live and neutral?
Neutral should be wired directly to one primary leg, with a layer or 2 of heatshrink over the joint.
Incoming live to the back of the fuseholder, out of the side of the fuseholder to the switch, out of the switch to the other primary leg.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems as if that would wire the fuse between live and neutral?
Neutral should be wired directly to one primary leg, with a layer or 2 of heatshrink over the joint.
Incoming live to the back of the fuseholder, out of the side of the fuseholder to the switch, out of the switch to the other primary leg.
Yep, that would be correct. I thought about it and looked at the layout and re-typed my solution which is exactly what you said. Now I have confirmation. Thanks!

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
It looks nice, good job :thumb:
Is there a star / toothed washer between the green earth crimped lug and the chassis?
Unless it was crimped with an industrial grade tool, I suggest to crimp AND solder that earthing lug to the wire.

Latest posts