best value rack delay?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Sly Fox, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Member

I didn't know whether to post this other amps or effects...but here goes:

Soldano HR50+ - great amp. Wouldn't mind being able to add delay. Tried a couple pedals and they all sounded like shit in the loop (carbon copy, dd7, dd500)...got distorted and made me really frustrated and angry. I cooled off on the idea of delay until recently when I figured I might be able to afford one more mental breakdown if it doesn't work.

Thinking about the Lexicon MX200. Price point is nice, I can get it brand new so that if it doesn't work well in the loop I can return it and get on with my life.

1. Is there any other unit I might want to consider for under $500 CDN?

2. I've read the placement of the loop in Soldanos is pre-eq, so for high gain leads is this going to sound like shit regardless of how good a rack unit I use?

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

If you only want delay, best value to me would be a used TC D-Two. Killer unit that's super flexible and is pretty easy to use. They can be had for cheap these days, definitely in your price range. Better-sounding delays than a MX200 too. And I'm partial to PCM-range Lexicons when it comes to verbs.

3. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I have an Alesis Midiverb. I have used this multi effect unit in several applications, including the effects loop of my Marshall JVM (before I sold it ). It does verb, echo, flange, chorus. Just a thought.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Alesis/MIDIVerb-III-Multi-Effects-Processor-115947635.gc

Catalinbread makes the Belle Epoch. There are youtube videos where it is being used in front of the amp. The circuit is designed to duplicate an echoplex that can be used up front or in the loop. Internal trim pot on the smaller version.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Catalinbread/Belle-Epoch-Deluxe-Delay-Effects-Pedal-1500000142726.gc
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Catalinbread/Belle-Epoch-Effect-Pedal.gc?rNtt=catalinbread belle epoch&index=2

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Hello.

The Lexicon MX200 you mentioned is a good choice because it offers good level control for input and output as well as level control for individual effects. Additionally, input levels at +4dBu (nominal) and +20dBu (maximum), which are line level and is probably a good choice for HR50+ effects loop because I think it sends a hot line level signal. Output levels at +20dBu (maximum) but you have room to attenuate if needed. If it's in your price range and you can secure a good return/exchange/refund policy, go for it.

You can try Alexis Quadraverb4 (used market only), Alexis MidiVerb (not sure if only on used market), Line 6 POD HD Pro X (more expensive than MX200), Line 6 POD Pro (used market only), Roland SDE-3000 (used market only but very good and usually not too expensive), Yamaha SPX-90 (used market only but very good). I used to own the Alesis Quadraverb4, which worked exceptionally well with any kind of effects loop design in any kind of amp design (e.g. solid state, all-tube, hybrid). There are more to choose from that have excellent features and reputations, but it's gonna get expensive.

If you're still interested in pedals, the Eventide TimeFactor (expensive) works pretty good in Soldano effects loops, but at the price listed by most dealers, it's probably better to get the MX200 or a good multi-effects unit for the same money.

Additionally, find out at what level Soldano HR50+ effects loop operates (my hunch is line level but I could be wrong). From there, look at effects units that are designed to work well with HR50+ effects loop. Finally, review the levels each effects systems gives you (some give levels for each effect as well as a master level control).

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Mitchell Pearrow and marshalltsl like this.
  5. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Get a used Fractal FX-8 and never look back. I upgraded from "older" TC rack gear and could never go back.

6. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

What does a used Fractal FX-8 go for in your area?

johnfv likes this.
  7. SonVolt

I'm really not sure... I got mine new a couple years ago before the price drop for a little over $1,000. I think they were selling them new for $499 during the holidays but have now discontinued it for whatever its successor is called.

8. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

The Lexicons mentioned above are good candidates.

If you can find one, a used Kurzweil Mangler or Rumour would be excellent. They're discontinued, but I see them from time to time on reverb. The sound quality of those units is extraordinary. Not just the effects themselves, but also the converters. I use both, and they sound every bit as good as my Eventide Eclipse....just different, and a lot easier to tweak.

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Almost mentioned the TF, but as the OP wanted rack units, I didn't. But yeah, it's better sounding than pretty much everything in the sub-500$ range.
    Back when I got my first one (when it originally released) me and a friend A/Bed the TF against his then-new POD floorboard, and the TF absolutely trashed it. The POD sounded like a toy (my buddy was kinda bummed at how much better the TF sounded). Gotta mention I also A/Bed the TF against the delays and choruses on my M5, and the Eventide is MILES better.
    Pretty flexible unit too, I have delays (obviously), but also pretty convincing choruses, phasers and rotary presets on my TF that sound very very good. Definitely usable in a live setting. You can get pretty creative with the modulation and multitap delays in that box.

Bottom line is, the TimeFactor doesn't do everything (I actually swapped it for a DD-500 on my big board, since the Boss is much deeper in a stereo setting, still have the TF on my small board and still love it), but what it does it does really well.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  10. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I have a Soldano SLO and use a Lexicon MPX 550 in the loop with great results FWIW. Some of the pedals listed in the OP are nice in their own unique ways but also can slightly color the sound in one way or another (IME) so I think you have the right idea, a good pro level rack unit in your Soldano will get you more satisfying results (not knocking pedals, luv 'em and use them, but not when we're talking about the Soldano's quirky loop + ambiance effects...a good rack delay for grease is universally accepted to be a better option).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  11. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Old Rocktron Intellifex or Replifex.
    Any old Alesis...Quadra or Midi verb.
    Roland SDE3000.
    PCM 81 would be amazing, if you're strong with the programming force.

johnfv and MonstersOfTheMidway like this.
  12. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Hey here ya go.... Screenshot_20200113-155112~01.png
    Its a screenshot...just in case you're trying to click on it.

But it's a current auction.

marshalltsl likes this.
  13. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

The MX200 does not have an output level control which is why I abandoned it from my rack rig. I was using it in front (NOT in the loop) and I found it pretty much impossible to match the level when the unit was bypassed (I mean OUT of the signal path, I was using a midi loop switcher). Bottom line, once you set the input level, you are stuck with the output level it gives you. With a PA etc. where you can easily adjust the return input level it not a big deal but IMO not so great for guitar rigs (YMMV).

I suggest get an older used Lexicon unit (from before they got cheap and stopped putting output pots in them). The MPX110 is a good unit that sounds great AND has BOTH input and output level controls. You can buy them cheap now, I have several of them (I use them for PA, etc. also). The "vintage" Lexicon stuff like PCM70, PCM42, PCM80 sound great but they're still pretty pricey.

You mention "rack" but it sounds like you just want something that will sound good in the loop. The Eventide H9 handles loop signals pretty well and sounds great, you likely would want MIDI control IMO. The Fractal stuff may be more options than you need but sounds great and has HUGE flexibility in optimization for loop levels.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  14. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yes, I grabbed one quick at the $499 price. Note it was the AX8 that was discontinued, the FX8 is still for sale. That said, it's essentially on the FX II firmware so has not been updated in a long time. Still sounds killer and will work great in the loop or 4CM.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/p-fx8-multieffects-pedalboard/

15. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

In fact, I have an MX200 in the box that was tested briefly and put back in the box. Feel free to make an offer :)

16. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Member

Thanks for all of the feedback gents. I purchased the mx200 and should be able to give it a run tomorrow night to see how it works out.

17. SonVolt

I hope they don't discontinue the FX-8 because IMO it's the perfect floor multi-FX unit. As of last week tho it wasn't listed for sale on their website, which typically means it's been discontinued.

johnfv likes this.
  18. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Ahhh (can you see the lightbulb over my head?). I had not noticed that although still listed as a product, it's no longer for sale. I agree with your assessment of the situation. Considering the unchanging firmware, it was just a matter of time.

19. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I hope it works out for you. As long as the return can handle the level it should be fine. In my situation, the output was way higher than I wanted it to be.

20. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Did you pay that much for a MX200, $500 CAD?

The Soldano HR50+ seems to have a fairly hot effects loop driver.