Best speaker cabs for 1 watt

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Maggot Brain, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I've been wanting the JTM1H since they were first announced, I have decided to snag one the next time I find one.

I plan to use it with my 1960A in the US and need a little 1x or 2x cab for my wife's place in Mexico. I am thinking a 1x10 or 1x12 would be perfect, I'm leaning towards the 10" speakers considering it's only 1 watt.

Anyone have some good suggestions on 10" speakers?

Some 12" options I'm considering are the Origin vertical 2x12, it would make a beautiful combo paired with the head but maybe too much speaker for my needs, the place is on the small side so might take up too much space also.

I've thought about the Class 5 extension Cab, I'd imagine that would pair nicely but still thinking about maybe a 1x10 or even a 1x8 considering the limited space we have there.

Thanks guys

Sean Christie, fitz288 and tce63 like this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

What speakers to you have in the 1960?
    Ya know the Origin 212s come with Seventy-80s.
    Might want to start with a good speaker and get a cheap cab to put it in.

Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

best speaker cab for a 1 watter is a single 12" closed back/sealed cab.

oversized...

Brek, Travis398, TheOtherEric and 5 others like this.
  4. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I would probably go for a 20w greenback loaded 1x12 .

Mr. Natural, Back40, Shovel80 and 4 others like this.
  5. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I run my lovely JTM1-Offset head with a 1*12 Cab with Greenback, sounds fantastic :applause:

6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Good call on the JTM1. I have the JTM1C and Offset head with the matching cabinet. I have all the 50th Anniversary Marshalls btw.

I like your idea for a visual match with the Origin 2x12. That would look great with a JTM1H. It's not birch ply built if that is a concern. It is for me but i don't think i can recommend those stock speakers. If i went for that look I'd invest in the SV212. See if you can find a used one to save some money.

I've played around with a few Celestions with my collection. For my JTM1C my favorite is a G10 Gold Alnico. Same can be said if I want to use my Offset JTM1 head with a C110 (Class 5) cabinet.

Tens are fine with the amps. I like 10s but i much prefer them pushed by a much larger amp. Ultimately these 1 watts need the girth of a 12 to get the best out of them though.

I've ran my JTM1's into closed and open back 1x12's, 2061CX and a 1960AX. An argument can be had for most of those combinations but over the years i prefer my JTM1 into an open back 1x12 the best. My JMP1 is the other way in closed back and mostly the 2061CX.

It really comes down to a Greenback or Alnico. I have a Celestion Blue that sounds great with mine.

Whatever you go with i just recommend getting a good solid cabinet to build on.

7. 2L man

2L man Member

Unfortunately I cant recommend a cabinet. I assume you don't use only 1W for other than home playing much? My favorite home playing loudspeaker is Jensen P10R-F because its low volume sound is very good when it colors sound on lowest power of all my loudspeakers. Its low sensitivity 92,5dB also allows amp to be opened more and it also adds distortion.

My favorite 12" is Jensen P12Q which sensitivity is bit better about 94db depending impedance. Its sound is bit more modern and excellent on 70s rock sound but also SRV sounds come best of my loudspeakers.

I also like 10" Gold a lot and I believe it would cover all my band practices using 20W amp.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  8. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Instead of the Origin cab why not get an Origin 20 combo. You can always swap a better speaker into it. You can use the speaker for the JTM1 and also have a nifty 20 watt grab and go vintage voiced combo. The combo looks like a cab from the front, so will match the JTM1 head perfectly. It's £120 more than the 2 x 12, but I'm sure will be a lot more useful.
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Marshall-ORI20C-Origin-20W-1x10-Valve-Combo/2AZV

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    eastsidecincy, Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  9. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned this as I saw an Origin 20 cab and speaker only for $100. That lead me to think for the price of some cabs I could have another amp and I've wanted an Origin also.

Priority is the JTM1H, I travel back and fourth from Washington to Arizona/Mexico. I plan to get a padded duffle bag so I can carry the head with me on the fights. That way I can enjoy the amp at both of my locations.

I love the suggestions, and looking into all of them.

My 1960A has G12T75s, probably not the best speaker for the vintage voicing of the JTM1 but I enjoy it with my 2266H so I'm sure it will suffice for the time being. I just need a nice cab and speaker for our home in Mexico. I forgot to add I am wanting a closed back, I really would love to hunt down one of the "Hendrix" Greenbacks from the Hendrix stack and VM line. I imagined that would pair wonderfully with the JTM1!

10. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I think I'd search for a JTMC12 cab.

Maggot Brain and Thevenin like this.
  11. Doctor_Zoidberg

Doctor_Zoidberg Member

Find an empty 1x12" closed back cab.
    Find an old, well worn in AlNiCo 12" (Celestion T731, sometimes stamped T0731).
    Put speaker in cab.
    Turn up full and enjoy the tone.

Speaker like this : -
    [​IMG]
    They are around, I have 2 of them.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  12. Reid Hansen

Reid Hansen New Member

Peavey makes a nice plywood 1x12 with a Greenback for $300 new (the 112-6). It looks Marshally with white piping. The Peavey logo comes off with two little screws if it bothers you. It seems to beat Marshall’s similar 1x12 cab unless you prefer the Celestion 70-80 that comes in the Marshall. The Peavey can be used with the back open or closed.

13. fitz288

Yeah, but the shipping from New Zealand to the 'States is a deal killer....

14. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

The closed back 1x12 i mentioned, i had Stagecraft make it. It's an Heirloom model. All birch and solidly built. Good size also. Tolex and finish are flawless. $300.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  15. Doctor_Zoidberg

Doctor_Zoidberg Member

I wasn't offering them for sale, I have no intention of ever selling them... they sound way too good, it was merely the point that you can find some around if you look. :-}

I have shipped a telecaster from NZ to the UK (11,500 miles, which was posted on the Monday and the guy was playing it on the Thursday of the same week) for nz$150 (us$107) which is less than I've been quoted to have a 3MΩ pot shipped from the US to NZ.
    So the NZ post is very reasonable, it's postage from the USA that is the deal breakers.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  16. fitz288

Just a joke about shipping costs from your parts thread.

17. Doctor_Zoidberg

Doctor_Zoidberg Member

Try and find one they are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, I use one with a Z-Vex Nano-head.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  18. dee69911

dee69911 Member

You should look to find a T-652 silver alnico 12" (the speaker that came with the JTM145 ANDERTONS set-up)

I have a JMP1 head,, JCM1 white mini stack & a JTM145 head & matching cab set-up. I had a JTM1 & the Offset JTM1 (black n silver Euro halfstack) but sold them. Not a fan of the regular JTM1. But I'd bet you'll absolutely fall in love with a t-652 ,, it's not the other 12" silver alnico, the t-652 is the real-deal made by celestin for Marshall. I actually have (2) t-652 speakers I'm selling as I have quite a few set of them in a stack & bluesbreaker & as I mentioned the JTM145 cab. Let me know .. cheers.

Sean Christie likes this.
  19. Sean Christie

Sean Christie Active Member

I have the JTM-1C that is loaded with a G10 Gold and it sounds amazing! I also have a JCM-1C with a G10 Greenback that I often use to play through the JTM-1C using the speaker out, and it also sounds amazing - both are great in different ways. I have the TSLC212 open back (currently produced as the JVMC212) that I use for my 1 watters. It’s slightly narrower than the 1936 as it was designed to sit under a 2x12 combo. It sees many speaker changes, but the Alnico Gold or Marshall G12 Vintage sound best with the JTM-1. Alnico speakers are a fabulous sound pairing for these amps. I would recommend one of these cabs or a Marshall SV 1x12 cab with a speaker upgrade. These cabs are solid and look beautiful, but costly. Not sure why Marshall decided to go with the V Type, but a speaker upgrade is needed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  20. Iron1

Iron1 Well-Known Member

I run my DSL1 into my Fryette R112 and it’s amazing. Also have a pair of M110s (from an MG MicroStack) that I swapped in Celestion Ten 30s for the stock Marshall junk, and they sound pretty good too. Not quite as nice as the Fryette, but they pair well with the DSL1.

Maggot Brain and Drinkingdeath01 like this.