Best Marshall to replace 2205

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
So to answer the original post question then ? Which ‘Marshall ‘ should someone get that ‘ Love’s ‘ the sound of his 2205 and what’s something in the same ballpark .
The post seems a bit contradictory, as the OP says he "loves the sound of the 2205". Well, if he loves the sound of the 2205, why replace it? I took the post as, he wants another Marshall, but an upgrade to the 2205. Since he mentioned he was considering a 2203, I assumed he also likes the tonality of a 2203, as both are fairly bright amps. That's why I went the 2203 route in my suggestion. IMO, the 2203 is a much better sounding amp than a 2205, but doesn't have the level of clipping (distortion) that the 2205 diodes provide. The diode clipping adds some "smoothness", to the tone, much like a good OD pedal. So, aside from the obvious solution of just adding an OD pedal to a 2203, another option is a 2203x with the Hot Mod V2, more gain/overdrive, but all tube. The extra gain from the Hot Mod adds more "smoothness" to the tone, but without the diodes/pedals. I've been using the 2203x/Hot Mod V2 combination, and it's my favorite Marshall of the ones I've owned. So, that was (and is ) my suggestion as an "upgrade" from the 2205. Just one guys opinion, of course. If he's considering amps, other than Marshall's, he should probably change his title, a completely different question.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
Having had the combo version of the 2205 as my first Marshall BITD, IMHO ANYTHING is an upgrade. I just never could gel with the gain sounds, and bought a 4x12 and then every Boss , MXR, DOD, and Ibby pedal I could find trying to get something usable out of that amp. It was replaced by a 2104.

If you are looking for built in diodes/led clipping similar to the 2205, then the MKIII or Jubilee would be the way to go, IMO. I'm not a diode clipper fan but both the MKIII and Joobies sound far better than the 2205/10 to my ears. I'd rock a jooby with the right speakers.

Blackstars might also be your thing as they use some SS trickery in the pre-amp.

Deftone

Reaction score
2205 is pretty bad ass, IMHO. I love mine though it is a bit noisy with certain pedals. I have a 2204 as well and it does that but with a 2nd channel and an EFX loop. That said, I usually prefer the 2204 for it's tone and simplicity. So that would be my 1st pick.

The natural progression would be the JCM900 Hi Gain 4500, but I think the JCM900 SL-X 2500 is an even better choice. The answer is completely subjective though.

Alfi27

Reaction score
I see he is already mentioned here, but unless the amp absolutely has to say Marshall on the front panel I would get in touch with Jason at Headfirst Amplification in Melbourne. I have bought a lot of his PCBs and built myself a clone of the Wizard Modern Classic II earlier this year. Actually used a DSL50 as a donor amp, so mine does say Marshall!

If you're into higher gain tones than a 2203/2204 will give you stock but you like that voicing, I'm convinced it doesn't get any better than that. And yes, I have owned a real Wizard MC and the clone sounds every bit as good. The real Wizard was an older MCI so it sounded a little different, the clone with the MCII circuit is a little more classic Marshall to my ears.

If you want to know what it sounds like, here's a short clip of mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3ezg93x2ogspdc/Maybach + MCII.mp3?dl=0

dannylerch

Reaction score
G'day Champions, I have a JCM 800 2205 and a JVM 410H, and would like to acquire another Marshall to my arsenal. I love the sound of the gain channel on the 2205; what would sound similar? I am thinking maybe a 2203 or 2203 reissue, what about the SC20H, does it really sound like a 2203? Maybe even a 900? I am in Australia and don't have a lot of choice available. Open to all options.

Many Thanks.

I'd get the 2203, it is my favorite sound in the JCM 800 run.

John Stedman

Reaction score
Like you, I also have a 2205 and a JVM410H. I already have a 1959SLP reissue, so my next Marshall purchase will be either an old 2204 or newer 2203x, depending on availability/price. I'm trying to get each Marshall "tone era" covered: vintage Plexi, JMP/early JCM 800 and modern high-gain. I'll have the 1959SLP for Plexi tones, a 2204 or 2203 for JMP/JCM 800 tones, 2205 for diode/high-gain/Schenker tones and the JVM410H for modern high-gain tones. I also have a TSL100, but it can't do anything the JVM410H can't do, so I'm planning to sell that one to help fund the 2204/2203 purchase.

abkeller1

Reaction score
When I read "replace", I take it as "upgrade". My suggestion would be a 2203 (or 2204), and add a Hot Mod V2. A 2203x (which has an FX loop) is my preference, but depends on whether you need an FX loop. IMO, for a master volume amp, the 2203x "Is" the ultimate Marshall rock & roll machine. The only thing the 2203 lacks (again, IMO) is just a little more gain, which the Hot Mod V2 provides (no mods necessary). The result, is the same (or more) overdrive than the rhythm clip channel of a Jubillee or 2205, and the upper mid voicing of the JCM800. If a 2203 is out of your range, I'd suggest the SC20, which does a very good 20w representation of the 2203. I agree with PelliX statement, regarding diode clipping. While there's nothing wrong with it, I prefer to keep the clipping diodes outside the amp (pedals...).
The Hot Mod will work in a SC20 too. But this is the best option, which I concure. Good idea!

abkeller1

Reaction score
I say Silver Jubilee. It should be pretty easy to find a used 2555X or grab a new one. Or, if you want to collect, get an original.
Doesn't sound similar. It's a darker and more compressed amp. It's great, but sounds completly different than any Marshall.

abkeller1

Reaction score
The Friedman runt 50 is a Marshall 2205
Only ‘better’ , much ‘better’. Marshall haven’t even got close since unfortunately .
That's a matter of opinion. Friedmans have less upper midrange than Marshalls. They don't sit as well in a mix. They are great amps but lack the mid focus which cuts through a band mix better than any.

NoelH

Reaction score
Honestly, if I owned a 2205, I would NEVER sell it. The day will come when you will regret it.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
That's a matter of opinion. Friedmans have less upper midrange than Marshalls. They don't sit as well in a mix. They are great amps but lack the mid focus which cuts through a band mix better than any.
I totally disagree as someone that’s had more than a few Marshall’s and now a Friedman runt 50 . If an amp was lacking in any frequency I would push said frequency up with the eq I all ways have in the loop anyway.

Last edited:

dptone5

Reaction score
I think the 2203x or an original 2555 Jubilee would compliment your 2205. The 2203x and an original Jubilee are my two favorite Marshalls.

I owned a 2210 and it’s a very good sounding amp, but sold it because I liked the 2203x and 2555 better.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The Hot Mod will work in a SC20 too. But this is the best option, which I concure. Good idea!
Yes, I originally had a Hot Mod V2 in my SC20H, but I ended up removing it. It didn't suit me as well as it does in the 2203x. The SC20 already sounds dirtier than my 2203x, due to the low operating voltages and having less headroom. David was kind enough to exchange my SC20 Hot Mod for a 2203x version Hot Mod.

Reaction score
I totally disagree as someone that’s had more than a few Marshall’s and now a Friedman runt 50 . If an amp was lacking in any frequency I would push said frequency up with the eq I all ways have in the loop anyway.

How does the Runt 20 compare?

Not to jump on to the OP's thread but I too am looking to replace a 2205--albeit one that was stolen a little over a decade ago. I'm open to non-Marshall brands that have a similar sound and feel to that 2205. Less than 30 watts would be ideal. That 2205 was such a killer amp...

Latest posts