Best Marshall to replace 2205

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Ken Stewart, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Yep .

2. Ufoscorpion

The Friedman runt 50 is a Marshall 2205
    Only ‘better’ , much ‘better’. Marshall haven’t even got close since unfortunately .

3. dodona

dodona Member

JCM 900

4. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

The JCM 900 Mk II uses a silicon bridge rectifier and an extra diode for asymmetrical clipping. The 2205 uses a silicon bridge rectifier and a pair of silicon diodes in different places for asymmetrical clipping. A Jubilee uses a combination of LEDs and silicon for both symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping depending on whether the boost is chosen.

Ignoring symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping which you shouldn’t do, LEDs and silicon sound and feel different.

I like the sound and feel of LEDs, I once used them to add clipping on one half of a signal while a 2203-style cold clipper was working on the other side. The tone during a sustained chord or note was nice. However, LEDs have a crackly decay which for me is a deal breaker. They’re fine in a pedal.

In the right situation silicon can be useful. It tends to be smooth and squishy. So long as it isn’t over the top, the feel nice but to me the sound is unnatural when used by themselves. On the JCM 900 they don’t come into play until the sensitivity is dialed up to around 9 o’clock, which is as far as I’ll dial it.

Anyway, you can’t just lump them together as if they’re interchangeable. A JCM 900 Mk II sounds different from a Jubilee which sounds different from a 2205/10. If you want the sound of a 2205 then use a 2205.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  5. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Great post and info !

gregr likes this.
  6. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

Correction on the bridge rectifier in the JCM900. It also has an added diode like the 2205.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

That being said , the 2204 is glorious with just about any overdrive. Less frills than the other circuits and a classic. I assume the SC20 would work but lack sheer thump compared to the 2204. I had a split channel for about a week and it does have a sweet lead channel.

8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Umm, no. The Fried-man runt is a Fried-man runt. I've heard they even smell like bacon, once warmed up.

Trelwheen and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Ufoscorpion

Funny man , have you owned a runt or a 2205 or even tried either ?

Hamer95USA and gregr like this.
  10. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

ibmorjamn likes this.
  11. marshallmellowed

Yeah, I'm a funny guy (sometimes) :scratch:. I've had a couple of 2205's. Thought the 2nd one might be better than my 1st one, just wasn't impressed with them myself. Never owned a Fried-man, but a buddy of mine has a BE-100, which I thought I would love. Sounded pretty good, but not enough to warrant the price (IMO). Reminded me a lot of my Splawn Quickrod, which I eventually sold. Sounded good, but had it's own thing going on. I grew up on the sound of Marshall's, not Fried-man's or Splawn's, so Marshall's do just fine for what I'm after.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  12. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

13. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

14. marshallmellowed

Still my favorite demo of this combination...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

16. marshallmellowed

17. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

I'm going to put the quietus on this one. Speaking as a former 2210 owner (same as the 2205 but with 100 watts), I owned a Quick Rod and kept it for about a month. Each time I plugged into it, I hated it a little bit more than the time before.

The reasons? It was the STIFFEST amp I've ever plugged into. I bought it without trying it out first. Now, I understand some people liking a really tight amp, but this one had no fluidity at all. And.... it had the "B+" option, which was supposed to tone down the stiffness. It was still too much for me.

It had a really obnoxious midrange that you can't dial out. Granted, a distortion box and an EQ in front helped a bit with both problems, but it was more of a workaround than anything.

The volume spike was insane. If you so much as breathed on the master volume, it would jump from whisper quiet to blowing the walls away. They even put some form of additional volume control on the rear of the amp to somewhat alleviate this problem. The problem shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Last but not least, the whole "1st, 2nd, 3rd Gear" thing was just weird to me. Whatever happened to plain old Clean, Crunch, and Drive? Not only that, but some channels couldn't even be accessed without the footswitch.

The above is my opinion only. But, OP, if you consider a Splawn, be sure you try before you buy.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Ufoscorpion

So to answer the original post question then ? Which ‘Marshall ‘ should someone get that ‘ Love’s ‘ the sound of his 2205 and what’s something in the same ballpark .

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  19. Ken Stewart

Ken Stewart New Member

Sorry Scozz I am not, you're quite right sir. I have emotional ties to it. Sad but true.

20. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

The best Marshall to replace a 2205 or 2210 is a Peavey Classic 50H. If you want that in 20 watts (switchable to 5 and 1) and you want a veitable CARPload of features on the back panel, you'll like the Classic 20MH.

I found this out around '94 when I was looking to replace my 2250 & 2210. It's been an on & off relationship over the years, but I keep coming back to the highly underrated Classics because Marshall refuse to release anything that sounds even close to the 2200 series since. They Classics were king for a few years before being overshadowed by the Eddie Van Halen 5150 hype.

Other than that, there's nothing except you wasting your time and money trying a gazillion other amps.