>

Best Marshall Stack available

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Phoenix1, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Gene 689

Gene 689 New Member

:applause::applause:
    The baby bro for them all! :fever::uk:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Spooky88

Spooky88 Member

Just a thought, but if you’re using active pickups (EMGs etc.) you’ll want to avoid the JVM410 (205) . It gets pretty harsh in the overdrive channels and would require some mods to get it sounding “right”.

3. Alfi27

Alfi27 Member

If you're looking for an amp and cab to buy for yourself, this thread could probably be more useful to you with a bit more info - like what kind of music and venue/room are you playing? Are you in a band? If you play death metal in your bedroom a 1959 or 1987 with two Greenback 4x12s wouldn't be the most obvious choice...

My advice, without knowing much about you or what you play: look into what your favorite guitarists are using, or maybe just guitarists with a tone you like. If this is your first Marshall be prepared to not get there right away, I'm a pretty extreme case but I've owned 40 amps or so in my 12 years of playing guitar, and I finally have a rig I'm super happy with. If I knew what I was looking for I could have gotten there faster I think, but that takes time to figure out too...

PS: don't buy new unless you're 100% certain you love it, and it's impossible to find it on the used market. Not encouraging crazy buying and selling, but it could save you quite a bit of money if you can't try it first.

Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.
  4. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Tools of the trade. Open mic, 99.9% on. Gigs, no less than a ½-stack representing my tone..

5. peterplexi

peterplexi Active Member

The Jvm Series because most of Marshall's history is represented (and todays modern guitarist needs a full pallet of tone)....in arguably good form as well. Modern and retro at the same time although due for an update ...wink wink Marshall.

LeftyGtrPlr and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Interesting..
    What year is that Bird? I have seen several with that off stop tailpiece. Is it a hole pattern for the LQ Badass that they use on other Birds? Seems likely for tooling or CNC costs, but IDK.

7. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

It's late 90s I think. Not sure about the offset tailpiece, I know next to nothing about these guitars. I just knew I always wanted one since I saw an ad with Dick Wagner hawking them about 100 years ago. All these years later I took an amp to my local tech and there it was, on consignment from another customer. I bought it on the spot. It plays effortlessly like a well set-up Ibanez. The action is so low you could almost breathe chords into it

8. msgdp

msgdp New Member

Really like Bernie - just wish he'd take better care of his health

9. Plexitim

Plexitim New Member

Maybe your wish has been granted. Sweetwater, ZZounds and several others have the JCM 800 2203 reissue heads, 1960A and 1960B cabs now. Musicians Friend has mix and match with head, 1/2 stack and full stacks.

XTRXTR and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

1) Never trust man who combs his hair with a balloon

2) Never trust a new member who trusts a man who combs his hair with a balloon

scozz likes this.
  11. Meclazine

Meclazine Member

12. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I don't remember but correct me if I am wrong . The badge was only on the 1987 year models in silver tolex ?

13. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

I would go for the JCM800 2204 or 2203, (2203 100Watt is too much these days IMO) the 2204 has the exact preamp section as the 2203 so the sound is similar enough and you need a pair not a quad of power tubes.
    The 2550 does not have the same circuitry as the 2204, or the 2203, its very different. The input has the high gain with LED distortion built into the amp since many were trying to get the over effected Metallica hardcore compressed crunch tone. That type of tone gets washed out when loud on stage. The guitar will always be fighting for more loud and the bass will be yelling to turn it down, the drummer will say he cant hear and the singer will want to quit. Later in life you'll wanta play blues and the 2550 just ain't setup for that, I had two kept one I don't play, the other I stripped out and made a 2204, they had the same iron. But some like it
    The 2204 has the most versatile tones Clean country, Chooka chooka SRV blues, Jimi overdrive, All Zeppelin tones, easy with effects in front, but if they build it with an FX loop even better. You can get just about any tone from it depending on your floor gear. Frampton voice box, crybaby, you name it.
    If you mean the 25th Anni-badge you are correct. The '82-'83 20th anni-white stacks were badged on the 1960A&B cabinets, I think the combos had badges near the speakers as well. I may have missed a detail but I'm not a Marshall history expert.

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  14. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

my main two are a '78 2204 or a '78 1959 through my 1960 cabs both loaded with greenbacks. it satisfies everything I need in an amp

XTRXTR and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. mdk

mdk New Member

Nice! Custom refitting? It's obviously not how the 30th Anniversaries came from the factory.

Mitchell Pearrow and fitz288 like this.
  16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

What a cool amp, I’ve never heard one or seen one in person. I wonder if the 4-10s would brighten the amp up a bit?

17. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Yes, thanks.
    Check grill cloth, block logos & 2nd front load baffle on the 6912 for the flush with cab face look of the combo.

18. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

I have the - 1965b version of that cab, 4x10 lose bass compared to the 2x12, not terribly but it is noticeable, more mids and highs. I have the vietnam A&B cabs 4x12 (I think) which sounds weird like a lot of odd harmonics , maybe I was real loud though, and the 1960 A&B 4x12 My fav. I have never done a A, B, C, D comparison all at once. One of these days.