Best marshall giging setup: combo, 1x12, 2 x12, or 4 x12?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by usablefiber, Oct 21, 2021.

1. andrus108

andrus108 Member

Marshall 1960A, or any angled 4x12, cab is the best _2_x12 created. Remove the bottom speakers, and install plywood covers instead. What you get is ONLY upsides:
    1. extra cash in your pocket from sale of 2 speakers
    2. 3/4 of the weight
    3. speakers higher up aimed (more) towards your ears
    4. speakers higher up also mean less sound bouncing right off the floor
    5. no speakers blasting your ankles and sound person's / audience's ears
    6. looks the same as a 4x12, so equally cool and fitting with a big head
    7. more air available to remaining speakers = more open tone: sounds deeper YET doesn't overtake bass player's territory, sounds brighter YET it's more delicate kind of bright

If I can't bring or use it though, I swing the other way: modeller / direct signal to a powered wedge. Usually if there is more than one sign why big amp won't work / be accepted on a gig, so if I have to compromise, I truly compromise....

2. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

The best speaker cab for gigging is obviously a 4x12 . Not the most practical , but that wasn’t the question.

3. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I built a JTM45 in a Bluesbreaker style 2x12 with Greenbacks. It sounds huge and with my pedalboard I can get a good range of tones with it. I also picked up a Mesa Rectoverb 50 that sounds great at any volume.

Now the fun part - I have developed bone spurs on my bottom 2 vertebrae and they have no cushion - bone on bone. I just give up. I’ll take the 45 out once in a blue moon but both amps are a bitch just to get loaded up. Both look cool and sound great but age is catching up.

4. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I got a pretty good song out of being screwed over as the opener.

5. mojodelic

mojodelic Member

I use my SV20C (with it's dinky little 1x10 - but also direct to FOH) which I guess does look small. Funny thing is it's such a loud amp that I have it soaked, never get out of 5W mode & still get tons of feedback when I want it. We bitch about having to bring our own light show but it works:

Attached Files:

abkeller1, donwagar, C-Grin and 2 others like this.
  6. usablefiber

usablefiber Active Member

I always loved Treys setup in phish IE the 2 separate 2 x 12s.

Currently using the hard truckers 2x 12 with the marshall head sitting next to it vertically.

I did like how the evH 2 x 12 came with tilt back and locking knobs for the head too.

The thing that’s slightly frustrating is how my fuchs head just BARELY doesn’t quite line up perfectly size wise with my vertical standing 2 x 12 it’s just barely looks a little bigger than the cab even though it rests fine.

7. NoelH

NoelH Active Member

I have a 1x12, a 2x12 and 3 4x12 cabs, which I admit is more than I need.
    I run either my boutique 50 watt that's basically a take on the Jubilee circuit or a DSL 50.

What I do is find out as best I can what room I'll be playing in size-wise, audience size, and bring the cab(s) that make sense. I.e., I scale for the venue. Really big room or outdoors? I'll take both a 4x12 and the 2x12, and set the head on top of the 2x12. I scale down from there. Small room mostly just take the 1x12 or the 2x12. Most larger rooms just 1 4x12.

One thing I've also been doing, is to put my cabs in a 'V' pattern. I saw Jake E. Lee do that, and I tried it. Works awesome, because I like my cabs off-axis to my ears. I want to hear the whole band and not just myself, and I have to wear earplugs these days. And really, you're cab is going to be mic'd anyway (usually) so the overkill of the days gone by isn't needed.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  8. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

I said bye-bye to my 4x12 cabs 8 years ago. Just didn't need them anymore. Favorite set up is a 2x12 cab elevated on a wood box I made to haul gear in. I rarely have an issue not hearing myself. IMO a good quality 2x12 cab fills the bill. If the load in sucks then it's a 1x12 cab or combo but always elevated.

9. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

A valid point! I can't imagine Korn with 1x12 combos!

10. Johan

Johan Member

Yeah, but did you try hard enough?!?

Old Punker likes this.
  11. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

Your entitiled to your opinon for sure.... However.... I've been to Kiss, GnR's, STP, Metallica,Muse, just to name a few. No amps to be seen. A very clean background on stage. The wall of Marshall stacks is just something from the past. Yea some older hard rock bands still use it. But it's outdated. Doens't impress me anymore knowing that with today's P.A.'s there is NO need for it and most are dummy cabinets anyway, except for maybe AC/DC. It's kinda like, well I like a muscle car from the 70's or even a new Dode Charger Hemi. They are fast. But I'll take a Tesla Plaid anyday over those cars and will be the fastest car on the track with no lag time at higher speed and really Quiet and i'm 61. But I try to stay up with the times. Not living in the past. As long as the concert sounds great , I could care less about seeing amps. I want to see the muscians play and hear it. That's all that ever mattered.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

You're not stating anything that hasn't been the case for decades. Since the beginning of bands using PA's and mic'd cabs, there's been no need for stacks on a stage. I use an Axe Fx II direct, no amp, but we're a small cover band. I still love seeing amps and cabs on a stage at a big show, and so do my bandmates. As I stated earlier, it largely depends on the band and what image they're trying to project as part of "their show". We all have our opinions, and what we want to see at a show, and I doubt they care whether it impresses you, unless you're buying all the tickets.

13. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

I always mic even at a tiny venue. I use those Plexiglass shieds around my 2x12 and mic it. Sound amazing.

14. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Seems a bit dated, having to use a shield on stage.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

everybody I've seen in the past 5 years has had at least a ½ stack. The singer, might use a combo hidden away, if he's only doing a rhythm on a song, or 2, but, yeah, everybody around LA uses at minimum ½ stacks. In clubs, or whatever...

MatFnEhUK likes this.
  16. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Well-Known Member

I see everything from 1x12 combos to nothing to full stacks in the local scene.

Personally, I split the difference and run a 2x12 these days, and that’s plenty. It can handle my 100W amp dimed any day, not that I will generally be doing that, lol. Would rather not have my brain implode.

17. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

I like em all
    A 1 x 12, 2 x 12, 4 x 12, 4 x 1 x 12. Sealed, Ported, and Semi Open, and also combine them.

No love for 2 x 15?? I also love my 2 x 15, and blows most 4 x 12s out of the water. My 2 x 15 is loaded with 2 Altec Lansing 418H. 150w Alnicos. Ive had them since new in 1973. They were my basic cabinet for my 69 Fender dual Showman Rvb. They came with a Lifetime Warranty. Ive never had 1 problem out of them.

I run my 2013 Metropoulus through many different configurations, and they all sound good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edgar Frog likes this.
  18. dro

dro Well-Known Member

As are you:
    Personally I wouldn't buy a ticket for the bands you've listed.
    That said I do live the sound of a hot tube amp. I don't care if it's on stage, Off stage.
    Outside on the truck. As long as the tubes are glowing.
    Last two shows I saw were REO and STYX. Clean stage/DI'd with some kind of modeler.
    Guitar tones were very disappointing.
    Even my drummer thought the guitars sounded like shit.
    Over the years, Dave Amato has been one of my favorites for tone. Also got some killer guitars.
    Yeah, I remember the 70's with a fondness. the 80's with a blur.
    And the 90's? well I wish I could forget some of it.
    Last concert I saw with great guitar tone was Don Felder.
    Who plays a Fender Deluxe, and makes it sound like gold.

19. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

the stage dictates the rig in my opinion and I practice exactly that. when we play small venues, I typically use my DSL 40 C combo, as it doesn't eat up stage property which is much more valuable. on the other hand, bigger venues where stage property is more available, I use a head/4x12 rig. and several times I have even been able to use full stack ( which is awesome by the way). both of these shows were on big stages so, my little combo would have looked pretty funny.
    FB_IMG_1631457944741.jpg FB_IMG_1633951443664.jpg

Edgar Frog likes this.
  20. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

on another note someone mentioned aesthetics. a lot of natiional acts will relocate big gear(if they are using them) off stage or under stage and use stage backdrop for stage props and such to make the stage look more appealing to the genre of music being played. as well they will use projectors to portray the mood on the backdrop of the band, so it gives a clearer view.