Best Marshall for Downtuned Death Metal????

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Shae201, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Shae201

Shae201 Well-Known Member

In theory...everything has ran it's course. Blues guitar, Rock, Jazz. Everything and everyone has ripped someone else off. In my jazz theory classes we learned that there is nothing original. To be a music genre elitist and say that you hope a genre has run it's course is quiet presumptuous wouldn't you say. Accountability Is as much as the credit and props you give in as much as the music you create. Let me guess, you own a PRS don't ya? Another Blues playing Lawyer... Doesn't your Mercedes need to go to the shop? Better get on that.

2. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Got this bad bad on order...

KHDK_LCFR.jpg

3. Rockat

Rockat Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Do be to quick to right off the JVM. I have one with NFB mod and it really turns it to a louder ballsy amp. Also it has a resonance control, so you can get real thump.

4. Shae201

Yeah, I feel like I'm not ready to judge it fully yet. I've even heard the designer of the circuit is a fan of some of these mods.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Listening to the new Carcass album right now... Bill's been using the original 5150 since 'Heartwork'...but I'm more partial to their older tones when they used SLX 900's w/Gov'nor pedals.

I got super close with my 2205 and a RAT.
    But why bother with an old amp that might need service or other work... just grab a newer DSL.

Honestly there's nothing more DM currently than EVH, Engl, and Mesa. They're just the standards these days.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  6. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

JCM 2203
    100w DSL

Rawson Sparfield Starfinder speakers.
    30hz-16,000hz frequency response. 70fs. They can also be used for Bass. They can everything from clean, to mean. Theyre very expensive though, and weight more than an EV12L, or a JBL E120. 20lbs each.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  7. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Umm ..Kerry King model?

8. Shae201

Yeah I agree, my Engl Savage is absolute killer. I may try a couple mods but there's always been a dark corner of my conscience that says "Do it!!! Pull the trigger an a 900". Seriously though, love Surgical Steel from Carcass also.

9. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I guess that after all has been said the DSL is as good as any. Personally I like the 900 dual for the hundredth time. Lol I am not really a metal player but I like a lot of the fast players.
    Not Marshall but again a hundred times 6505+

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  10. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

And of course Ola:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

One of the DSL amps on the Ultra channel.

As others have noted, there are better options, but for the money any of the DSL's are hard to beat. Anything better is likely going to also be considerably more $$$

Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  12. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Yeah bro. The Peavey 6505 can be had at a decent price used.

One of the 5150 III amps would be a serious consideration for me for an affordable ridiculously high gain option. Hell, I'd like a one of the 5150's just because.

EDIT : AND the 6505+

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

Check this out - they're using EVH 6L6 mini amps and crushing.

14. Shae201

Bill Steer is sooo badass!!!

15. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Actually I build my own guitars and don't currently own any guitar not made by me except for a 99 dollar Affinity strat, which was "inherited" from a friend who died. For my source of income I resell surplus electronics, mostly test equipment and production equipment, acquired as surplus from a variety of large electronics companies. I also have a sideline of repairing electronics for local musicians, but not for the average consumer. I am definitely no doctor or lawyer or other sheepskin-displaying, highly paid professional. I drive a 4 year old Toyota Camry, which I bought new with cash. My dream car is a Porsche 911 GT3. Before too much longer I'll be placing a deposit on one. I'd never have a Mercedes or a BMW or any exotic car other than a Porsche, regardless of budget. I don't picture myself in a Lambo or a Ferrari. They don't appeal to me. I'm a 911 guy in waiting. Don't want anything else in the way of a luxury sports car.

Even the guitar in my avatar, which is certainly based on a PRS design, was built by me, for me. It wasn't exactly cheap to build but it certainly cost me far less cash to make it than it would have to buy the specific PRS guitar that more or less inspired it.

Still finding absolutely zero love for drop tuned modern metal. It simply never tickles the pleasure centers of my brain. Chug-chug-grunt-grunt-puke-in-microphone-repeat is not my idea of MUSIC. Give me VH, give me Accept, give me almost any 80s hair metal band, give me Ozzy, give me RATT, give me all that stuff, and IT triggers the release of serotonin.

That's how I judge music. I give it a try. I listen to it. Either I find it pleasurable (serotonin release) or I don't. (No serotonin release.) Drop tuned modern metal generally does not give me enjoyment. Unless you count laughing at how ridiculous a lot of it is, but that's laughing at you, not laughing with you.

Seventh Son and Spooky88 like this.
  16. Shae201

Your the one that came into this forum with cheap shotso
    See, noone ask you to come into this forum taking cheap shots right out of the gate. I mean come on. If you want cheese with your wine then look elsewhere but don't come in offering a suggestion accompanied with low blows and not expect some retaliation. Go and build your wanna be Private stocks riding Paul Reeds jock and leave it alone. NO ONE ASK YOU.

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  17. Matthews Guitars

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. Maybe I'm a bit too ready to share mine. You can just ignore it rather than respond. You do have the right to do that...but I'm not sure you have the capability or the discipline to.

I'll own up. I shouldn't have posted it. But it's done.

18. Shae201

Well, now I know who not to go to for a custom build.

19. Matthews Guitars

There's a good chance you'd want a type of guitar I won't build anyway. No hard feelings, no insults. I've got enough to build that I'm not taking orders until the backlog is cleared mostly out in any event.

Shae201 likes this.
  20. Benighted

Benighted Member

Maybe this has more to do with nostalgia and less with the actual tuning. Since you mentioned Ozzy, most Black Sabbath albums after the first two are down tuned:
    https://batshitcave.blogspot.com/2016/10/70s-black-sabbath-tunings.html

Mitchell Pearrow and Shae201 like this.