Best Boost Pedal for JCM 800 with no boost?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by OutsideOctaves, Oct 23, 2020.

1. OutsideOctaves

OutsideOctaves New Member

EDIT: Woops, I mixed up the JCM 800 from a previous amp sim with real life, and thought that it had a boost switch on it... memory served me wrong here, because I thought I remembered seeing real ones with a little red/orange switch that said boost on it, but I think it came from previous amp sim(s) I've owned in the past. Seems it was just two jacks in real life, high or low sensitivity. (Unless I'm wrong and there is a type out there irl with a Boost switch)?

And as far as pedals that I was talking about originally, I was asking more or less about which one would get closest to the "Boost" ciruit. (I kept the original post below, but made the text smaller as there is no strike through here that I can tell)

Also, I don't own an actual JCM 800 to test against, nor are there any stores nearby with them. Thus, why I came here to ask y'all about the pedal ... oi again I do apologize.

I've got the STL Amp Hub VST of the JCM 800 but no boost channel on it; what would be the best of the pedals to be closest to the boost option on the JCM 800's that come with boost?

Pedal options:
    Basic 3 knob compressor
    GEQ 6
    MXN OD808
    BSS SD-1
    IBNZ TS-9
    TCE Preamp
    FRTN 33
    Ignight Amps Tyrant
    XTC BB Preamp

(Yep, I got the STLAmpHub)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. 80sTone

80sTone Active Member

Never used that - but based on the list I like the original SD-1 on the original JCM800 (2204) :) good luck.

South Park and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

:welcome:
    Sorry, I am not quite familiar with the STL Amp Hub, but for a VST I would choose 808, TS-9 or SD-1 from your list (have been the go-to for the JCM800)

4. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand the question.
    Maybe check out a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, you can dial in little, to no, gain, or a bunch, but still retain some picking dynamics. You can crank the volume but minimize gain to use as a boost.
    I don't know.

5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome: To the forum
    I like the SD1
    Cheers
    Mitch

6. DonP

DonP Active Member

Can't you try them and see which one sounds best to you?

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

From your list I’d go with the Maxon od808, but then I’m bias, I like Maxon pedals.

8. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

As you can see there are as many preferred pedals as there are players.:lol:

El Gringo and foofighter like this.
  9. OutsideOctaves

OutsideOctaves New Member

My apologies. I should have (and will edit in) the fact that I don't own an actual JCM 800 to compare it against. Thus why I came here to ask those that may have had them what would be the one that has the closest sound (and thus closest circuit) to the boost circuit... but upon digging into this, I release it's not the 800 that came with the boost, in fact hell none of them do from what I can tell... it was just a switch from channel A to channel B, or in the case of the 800 pluging into low or high sensitivity.

I was misinformed I guess from previous amp sim software I've owned that had a switch that said boost on it (similar to the lit power switch)... I guess such things happen when you're trying to avoid copyright/trademark infringement... lol. I'm sorry folks for this. We learn stuff sometimes >.> <.< -.-

10. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

what in the actual heck, quit apologizing. just fyi, plenty of people actually do add a boost switch in place of one of the inputs....there are all sorts of crazy mods for those amps from tube to solid state diodes....sometimes it is best just to assume you remember right and ask your question (and either the ds-1 or a tube screamer will act as a solid state boost...which is what I think you are after)

El Gringo, scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you will need to try them all to really know . Oh , and all the other 10,000 options out there , lol .

El Gringo, junk notes, scozz and 2 others like this.
  12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

If the difference between the High and Low sensitivity inputs gives you a boost you like, you could try a cheap A/B pedal to switch your guitar signal between the two.

El Gringo, scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. machinated

machinated Member

I know this isn’t what you’re asking exactly, but I may as well offer my opinion as I’m able to compare. I found the Amp Hub jcm 800 a bit weird compared to my 2203. If you’re looking for absolute accuracy I think it’s a bit of a waste of time here..... just go for what sounds good to you (I know it’s an annoying answer). Their SLO and dual rec sounded really impressive to me, just a couple of the others missed the mark IMO.

I will say though, that the 2nd amp sim in the Nolly Neural DSP plugin is EXTREMELY similar to my 2203 in sound and behaviour. Right down to all the quirks of the presence and master volume and eq interactions. I really don’t think any other plugins come close to theirs yet.

Also, yet again I’ll bore on about impedance but it’s really overlooked a lot. Low inputs tend to be lower impedance so while they’re often quieter, they’ll also load the guitar pickups different and therefore sound duller/less crisp than high impedance inputs. to simulate this you could experiment with different DI boxes, and adjust the level going into the plugin. Bear in mind many plugins are calibrated differently and you’ll never really know what they modelled with, so it’s best to just listen and adjust until you’re happy!

Also, are you possibly thinking of the 2 channel jcm800’s? the 2210 has been modelled by nembrini - for me they’re aren’t on Neural DSP’s level but it may feel more familiar? Most jcm800 plugins are generally going for the vertical input 2203’s in the higher input

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Xotic BB Preamp is my all-time favorite OD pedal.

Phillip Whitelives likes this.
  15. proxy

proxy Well-Known Member

Radial Elevator

16. renips

renips Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Great boost. Bob Bradshaw product. CAE 401

bullhead likes this.
  17. RobS

RobS Well-Known Member

BOSS GE7, everything flat except level, adjust to suit
    or
    Superdistortion in the bridge

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  18. Greg70

Greg70 Member

Agree on the pickup. I have an old Charvel with active Jackson pickups that will drive my 2203 to full saturation without a pedal.

dptone5 likes this.
  19. Phillip Whitelives

Phillip Whitelives New Member

Especially the one with the mid control. I've had it on my board for eight years.

dptone5 likes this.
  20. NoelH

NoelH Member

You will get dozens of opinions, every one different. Ask 3 guitar players, and you'll get 6 opinions. Boost pedals are one component in your sound. I personally prefer pedals with asymmetric clipping, but that's me.
    You'll have to play a bunch and find the one that works for you. I have a DS-1 and a 7 band graphic, and a Vox Satchurator. I go into a DSL 50 BTW.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.