Best bedroom amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Saxy Calzone, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

CODES RE UN

2. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Lets try that again.

CODES ARE FUN.

3. CloverGrass

CloverGrass New Member

Class 5: made in England, I have two heads, three cabs and the combo version...volume at 6-8 and you start to get plexi crunch...they are loud...would absolutely need a pedal....excellent amp
    DSL 5: I briefly had the 20 watt head and now have the DSL 1 head...lots of gain at low volume on the red channel, great plexi ish tones on the green channel, no need necessarily for a pedal.
    Origin: had the Origin 5 combo, great moderate crunch but weak tonally due to I guess the combination of 8 inch speaker and cab design....I have the 20 watt origin head, great amp but will need a pedal at bedroom level volumes to get some gain.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. superflea

superflea New Member

Like everyone is saying you'll want a low watt amp.
    I am running a dsl1 head with a 1x12 cab. The dsl can be switched to 1/10 watt, at that setting I can turn the volume all the way up and it simply isn't loud enough to bother the other people in my 1000 sq/ft apartment. It does however deliver that cranked up marshall tube sound.
    I also have an old crate 20 watt combo that is way way WAY too loud in that apartment

5. Steven Woods

Steven Woods New Member

I know you're looking at lower wattage amps, and you've gotten a bunch of similar recommendations, and that may work for you. I don't know what your budget is but my advice would be to not ignore something a bit larger that has a master volume. You can often really dial in good tones at a reasonable volume level with an amp like that by cranking up the master and keeping the other volume low, particularly if it also has a wattage switch on it. That way, you have an amp that you can play at home but also be able to take with you and play with others or at gigs, etc. Perhaps a DSL 40, which I think is actually better for home use than some of the lower wattage DSLs. Certainly depends on your living situation. Any tube amp is going to move air and be pretty loud, whereas a solid state like an Origin won't be like that. For example, I tested an EVH 5150 15W lunchbox head through an EVH 2 speaker cabinet awhile ago, and that thing was a stage amp in no way appropriate for a home unless you utterly don't care about your neighbors.

Also, I think Eric Johnson has used both Fender and Marshalls.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  6. Justin Whitstine

Justin Whitstine Member

I have no problem using my DSL40CR at bedroom level. It sounds about 75% as good as it does once you really get it cranked. It's fine. I also have a tiny 15 watt solid state Marshall practice amp with an 8" speaker. Sounds about the same as the DSL40 at bedroom level. It's fine! Dsl40 is nice cause when no one is home, I can really let it rip.

If the amp has a lot of gain you'll find any can do bedroom level ok. It's mainly the older "more pure" if you will, plexi / jcm800 copies that won't have enough gain at bedroom level.

You can also use an audio interface & neural dsp plugin like the Cali or Soldano and play though headphones. If you have a computer already, going that route costs around $300 to get the full setup. And you can simulate the amp running at full blast. A plugin sounds about as good as a tube amp choked down to running at bedroom volume, maybe even better.

I have all 3 options and use and enjoy all 3.

I'd like to have a Ceriatone Son of Yeti and the Origin 20 is next on my list, power scaling tubes that go down to a very low wattage. Cool!

7. SLA

SLA Active Member

I dont realy understand this..no mention of the Marshall studio classic or vintage?
    They both have low-watt mode and effectloop in wich you could put an volume-pedal between to get the volume even more down.
    I used an marshall plexy superbass as bedroom-amp for many years ;D but i had to get the distortion from pedals, still it sounded way better than most low-wattage "bedroom" amps.
    I had the origin for a while and its an great amp, but still different then an original old marshall. Today I use an orange rocker 30 or my jmp 50 thru 4x12 greenbacks. But I think i would be happy with an Marshall Studio 20, vintage or classic - both are great. Just buy one of them and stop chasing :)
    or if you would like to go cheap and easy - a Boss Katana 100. That would be my amp if would need money..was impressed by the katana 50 but the 100 has an prescense control, wich I missed on the 50..

8. leftwing73

leftwing73 New Member

I have two amps you could call a "bedroom amp" - a Marshall Code 50 and an Orange Crush 35RT. The Code is pretty good for low-volume, headphones, recording, and just jamming around quietly. 95 of the 99 built-in patches are awful but you can get some good tones out of it. The Orange has a headphone jack and an effects loop so if you want to run your whole pedalboard rig through headphones, that's a great choice. The problem is that it sounds generally shitty.

People may laugh at the Code, but it's at least equally as good as a 5-watt tube head turned down to 1 and then choked off with an attenuator, at probably less than half the price.

9. Carlos G

Carlos G Member

I would go for the 5 watter (that I think can be attenuated to 1) if you're planning to play with other people. If it will be strictly for you playing by yourself and real bedroom levels, I would get the 1 watt (that can be attenuated to .1)

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Gryphon962

Gryphon962 New Member

I fully understand that you are interested in 1 of 3 Marshalls to get the tone you want at bedroom levels, but if you are still undecided then I suggest you broaden your search to include the Orange OR15. I bought one of these recently and I'm stunned at how well designed it is - the preamp in particular is so good that you can go from 'Beatles' clean to high gain with one twist of one (Gain) knob, and its impossible to make it sound bad - at least when played though a Vintage 30 in closed back cab. At those low volume levels all of your tone will be coming from the preamp, so an excellent preamp is key. It has two power levels - 7 and 15 watts - and the master volume is very smooth on either. Tone controls actually change the tone in a useful way - unlike some other amps I've owned - and it has a loop rather than some tinny inbuilt reverb. Well worth a look if you haven't already heard one.

They look pretty good too..

[​IMG]

11. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Active Member

I own a Class 5. Love it. But definitely not a "bedroom amp"..

My opinion, FWIW, is that if you have to think about buying an attenuator? You're buying the wrong amp for your needs.

I'm a huge Marshall fan, owning three at the moment. But since others have suggested a non-Marshall bedroom amp? Do yourself a favor and consider the Roland Blues Cube Hot. It's a SS amp that sounds and feels very much like a tube amp. I am a tube amp snob and I love this little thing.

Has multiple power settings, from 30W / 15W / 5W / .5W. Complete with lush sounding digital reverb (I'm also a spring reverb snob, btw). Ultimate bedroom amp.

12. Eric Nordkvist

Eric Nordkvist New Member

The dsl has lots of gain, you'll get a nice lead tone , just roll the presence to zero. It's nice bright amp. However try all the amps you mentioned and see which one you prefer before purchasing

13. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I'm a home player as well and for my first "Marshall" built a JTM clone. Great amp and it's a classic.

For me, not an amp for home use unless you can turn it up. Then adding pedals for distortion. Got tired of the pedal search as they all change the base tone somewhat.

Have played a Class 5, cool amp but doesn't sound good until it's loud.

Tried the DSL40C and it has the classic Marshall tone but when playing at low volume it just gets thin and kinda fizzy sounding.

As other have stated, Marshall's tend to get their grind from the power section, means you need to turn them up to get the goods.

Ended up with a 5150 III 50watt 6L6. This amp generates the distortion in the preamp, so it sounds good even at very low volume. The tone changes very little from low volume to band volume. It's not classic Marshall sound but it still sounds great. This ended my low volume home amp search.

When the house is empty I will pull out the JTM and the 5e3 on occasion. And crank 'em! Awesome circuits.

Good luck on your search.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  14. Davide Margiotta

Davide Margiotta New Member

I agree, you need a little time tweaking, but it's an excellent practice amp

15. NotSure

NotSure New Member

I own an Origin 20C, and even on the lowest power setting it gets pretty loud when you start to dime the gain and master. As mentioned, the Origin series amps aim more for the Marshall bluesbreaker type crunch rather than the EVH Marshall superlead crunch (both are great, but they are different). The Origin series would probably get you closer to the Eric Johnson tones that you're after, so I would recommend the 5C if you want that at bedroom levels.

16. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

For bedroom I would consider some kind of modeler. I have the same issue with being to loud. My best solution so far is the line 6 pod 2. There are better options at higher prices.
    I am real interested in the quilter 45.

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have heard the Dsl40c tossed around in this thread, and I agree it can do a great low volume (bedroom) with out sounding to fizzy, in this clip I am on the red ultra lead 2 channel with an SD1 as a clean boost, gain at 3, volume at 1-1/2
    So I am going to plug the Dsl40cr’s..
    Cheers
    Mitch

18. GoldTop2000

GoldTop2000 New Member

Hey Tallcoolone, I believe you about your experiences with the market, but I think maybe some regions have been hit harder than others financially, leading to more desperate people selling their gear? In the last year I bought a 3700$ (before tax) EVH Wolfgang USA for $1800. My dream guitar, mint condition. Also I'm not a fan of the average EVH guitar's Floyd Rose/D-Tuna setup. I wanted a hardtail, which were made in tiny quantities. Reverb had one of them (in Puerto Rico), and Guitar Center had just one in all of their stores (new or used). I bought it in Virginia but was shipped from somewhere else.

Yesterday in Tampa, FL, where I'm based I was introduced to store in Auburndale, FL, which just sold a mint (still in the cover) 100 Watt Silver Jubilee (2013 reissue) with the matching cab for 2000$. They still have the 5-watt Slash signature amp (its a mini jubilee) for $600, in good condition. My uncle in Clearwater just got an un-touched Mexican Telicaster (750$ msrp) with an entry level Fender practice amp (like 100$ at least) thrown in, all for 400$. This was off CL.

On CL and Reverb people often post silly wishful-thinking prices, but in reality will take much less. Musicians have been destroyed financially with no gigs, and many hobbyists with big responsibilities/dependants have been forced to part with their gear to feed their families. Its sad. Florida has no social safety net so maybe that accounts for the particularly large flood of gear. Finding quality is always tough, but I'd keep looking, never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough.

19. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Get a small solid state amp. I have a 30W Line 6 with a gain knob; several presets if you like; and a bunch of onboard effects. You can play it as loud or as quiet as you want with as much or as little gain as you want. It even has a headphone jack for those of us that REALLY suck and need to hide our playing. I think I paid like $124 on sale a few years ago.

There's several options, at a good price too. No sense in trying to get that big tube sound at a bedroom level. Get something cheap with lots of options, or you'll drive yourself crazy making things more complicated than need be.

:coffee:

20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

A Class 5 is going to be about as close to a "bedroom amp" as any that Marshall makes that actually has tubes in it.

Don't worry about how LOUD an amp can get, because even one watt is too loud in the bedroom when people are trying to sleep, if you're using the whole watt.

Instead, just look for an amp that sounds good at really quiet levels. I've had more than one 100 watt amp that was good at that.

Come to think of it, every Mesa/Boogie amp I've ever owned did that trick well.

Old Punker likes this.