Best 80's Rock Pick-Up for Gibson Les Paul Classic

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by dptone5, Dec 6, 2011.

1. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

What would be a good pick-up replacement for my Classic 57 Plus in my 91' Gibson Les Paul Classic?

I love the tone of the Classic 57, absolutely love it. The only problem is that it doesn't have the sustain and I can't the the pinch harmonics out of it like I can with the DiMarzio Tone Zone in my Jackson or even the Vintage Noiseless in my Clapton Strat (with midrange boost circuit - active pups).

I would like to retain classic Gibson LP tone, just with a little more growl and bite, particularly for the style I play. Is there another pup out there that is close in tone with a little more gain and sustain? :hmm:

I know there are a lot of alternatives, but if it is possible, I'd like stick with a Gibson pup. I hear good things about Burstbucker's, but I haven't researched all the different types.

Please let me know your thoughts. Below is a clip of my LP through my JCM 800 2203X.

Would love to hear from my friends here on the Marshall Forum! Thanks!

DP

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfebeD5Oxo&feature=channel_video_title]Marshall JCM 800 2203X - Gibson Les Paul Classic - Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet - YouTube[/ame]

marshalltsl and diesect20022000 like this.
  2. Strateuphoria

Strateuphoria New Member

Dimarzio Super Distortion?

Bull Rock, SRD, lp1987x and 3 others like this.
  3. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to recommend. I used one in my 69 Gold Top for years. Did the trick.

Now another DiMarzio that is a really fat PAF (they call it Ultra PAF) is the Air Zone. I run this in one of my Strats and in the bridge of my Explorer. It's a hotter PAF with a DC of 17.49. It is rated as a medium output pickup.

The other thing is to contact Rayne (MHD Pickups) and see what he has. Remember, he can custom wind you a pickup to fit your needs.

dptone5 likes this.
  4. stax

stax Well-Known Member VIP Member

Cool playing and tone. But you had plenty of sustain and there is no way you can say that you can't easily get pinch harmonics all day long out of that set up (you surely have enough ablility playing wise)?! It sounds like your really just gassin' for some new pickup's!:)

colchar and dptone5 like this.
  5. JSJ900

JSJ900 Well-Known Member

Gibson Dirty Fingers?

6. newbies

newbies New Member

Nice playing man!! I was going to say try out some burstbuckers. They are great apparently

Also as said above get in contact with Rayne to see what he recommends, I have some 5150s coming my way and he's a cool bloke who will help you out!!

7. dptone5

Thanks....it is possible to get pinch harmonics with the LP, just not AS easy....and I like easy. :)

I really do like the tone of the Classic 57 Plus, perhaps just looking for something hotter.

Any thoughts on Burstbuckers or Burstbucker Pros?

8. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Love the Burstbucker pro I put in my LP Studio. I have no issues with it.

I've got no problems w/ the 490/498t in my other one either though.

You could go to a shop w/ an amp room and try out a Studio faded, they have the BB pro in them so that would give you an idea....

9. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Depends on how 80s you want to go. There are so many great types out there now it aint even funny. Yeah I could hook you up, but if you want to go with a bigger company I would get a something in the mid 9k range to 14k range. I mean shit Bill Lawrence, Duncan etc... Depends on if you want a custom set or off the shelf, and there is nothing wrong with off the shelf.

dptone5 likes this.
  10. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Yes Trav you got them leaving here end of next week I think.

newbies likes this.
  11. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

EMG 81,85
    Seymour Duncan JB,59,Custom Custom, Full shred
    DiMarzio super distortion,Tone Zone,Air Norton,EVO
    Gibson anything really.

I got EVERYTHING in my MHD homewrecker though. I don't even have to adjust my amp or guitar just my technique to get what i want out of it. it's unreal. It doesn't hide your slop AT ALL either. it's my favorite pickup period right now and i've use everything including BareKnuckle (which kick ass but, too pricey for my blood)

12. Drewby

Drewby New Member

1+ for The SDs. SDs are expendable to me. At 60 bucks you can play em for a year or so and when they start squealing just pick up another one and replace it.

13. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

You sound pretty damn good already....

14. stax

stax Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have BB's 1 and 2 in my 60 reissue, but I will tell you, I love 57 Classics. They are about as close to the general PAF tone (I say general, because there is really no such thing as PAF tone, they all sound different) as you can get, even more so than BB's.

As Die said, anything Gibson. Gibson is a bit underated for their inhouse pickups and they of course have made some of the greatest pickups ever made (P90, PAF, T-top, Shaws, etc., etc.)!

The 80's were about hi-gain and in that context, hi-gain was still very tame and nothing like what we have and know today. So 80's metal tone should still be somewhat low gain (if you are following me), some ceramic pickups and driving a JCM or JMP with a SD-1 or a modded Marshall!:)

15. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

If you can find them get a set of these. They are by far the most versitile pickup ever made. The old Ibanez Super 70s. I am working on right now. Doing a rewind. They are a very low wind 7.6k and 8.2k with a A8 mag in it. They are so good I have only seen a few come up on EBAY in the last few years. They can nail almost any tone.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-RKVIoQ7Y&feature[/ame]

dptone5 and Dave666 like this.
  16. maxime1122

maxime1122 Active Member

I prefer the Classic 57+ over the Burstbucker Pro, but thats my opinion.

The gain output is about the same for the two of them.
    The DC resistance is a bit higher with 57+.

17. diesel king

diesel king New Member

18. JCarno

JCarno Well-Known Member

I have a Zebra BB3 pulled from a Trad Pro if you want to trade.
    lmk. :cheers:

19. dptone5

Thanks for the offer, but I will need to stick with the covered pick-ups once I decide what I'm doing...

Also, thanks for all the great comments guys, I really appreciate your input!

20. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I have BB pros in my Classic and they will never come out. The Alnico 5 magnets give them a little more wellington without going into ceramic territory. I wanted the vintage LP tone with a little more welly and that is what BB pros give you (especially if you want to stick with Gibson pups). They are also potted standard which saves a job. Don't listen to my bands cover of "Doctor Doctor" in the cellar to judge though coz` that's my Vintage SG with Jeff Beck Seymour Duncans (a bit darker than the BB pros). :)