**Best 80s-90s Marshall tones. GO!!!**

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Neptical, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I know there are more, but my mind is on playing for a change, and I am going to ride it out ...
    Cheers

2. Stopcallingmepoggers

Stopcallingmepoggers New Member

Chuck schuldiner's with the VS8100. Hands down.

3. John Stedman

John Stedman New Member

My top 5: Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Michael Schenker, Alex Lifeson, Gord Lewis (Teenage Head).

Lots of other worthy mentions; Jeff Beck, Rick Brewster (Angel City/The Angels), early Maiden, Judas Priest, Hendrix, The Cult.. I could go on for an hour.

---
    Marshall 1959SLP Reissue / Marshall 1960AX/BX 4x12
    Marshall JCM 800 2205 / JCM 800 Lead Series 4x12 top
    Marshall TSL100 / Mesa Boogie Stiletto 4x12 top
    Marshall JVM410H / Mesa Boogie Stiletto 4x12 bottom

4. Mitchell Pearrow

:welcome: To the forum
    Nice list

Neptical, Clockworkmike and Sapient like this.
  5. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Billy Squier

and Mitch Pearrow. :dude:

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Ha Ha that’s a good one brother!!

Clockworkmike and Sapient like this.
  7. Devinfallout

Devinfallout New Member

John Sykes. Ginormous tone with attitude. I know he used a Mesa but he did have a Jose modded Marshall.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  8. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

The first record I bought as a kid was Don't Say No (I can still remember walking into Harmony House that afternoon) ... and I've been a huge fan all along until present day. I still listen to / play his music all the time. One of my all time favorites.

9. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

I hear ya, bro. It was the beginning of Lonely is the Night that's never left my head regarding tone. I didn't even know what tone was in 1980 but I knew I loved that "tone" forever.

:)

10. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  11. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

Thanks Lo-Tek for posting. I have never seen that performance before and it rivals El Macombo ! Is the Marshall Head his Marshall Major ? also what are the Marshall Combos are they JCM800's ? I didn't know he used any other Marshall Combos than these :-
    Marshall 4140 Club and Country
    Stevie used this amp in early the 1980s for clear tone. The amp had two 12 inch Celestion G12-80 speakers, and brown vinyl and tan grill cloth and it was Marshall’s version of a Fender Twin Reverb.

With 100 watts of output and a power amp section driven by KT77 tubes, the Club and Country provides more clean headroom than the typical Marshall design.

During the preparation for the tour with David Bowie, David’s crew took Stevie’s Marshall and painted the vinyl black and the grill cloth grey to make it blend in with the other amps. Stevie eventually decided not to go, but the amp remained in that condition.

Stevie eventually traded in the amp in 1983. As of now, it can be seeb at the Stevie Ray Vaughan museum.

12. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ----------------------------- Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Once again, Mitch has crystallized my thoughts eloquently.

13. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

A lot of the standards have already been mentioned so I'm just adding a few personal favs from that era. A lot of these guys moved on from their Marshalls, but man, their first album or two were Marshally goodness...

Nuno Bettencourt
    Vito Bratta
    Jake E Lee
    Jeff Carlisi (.38 Special)
    George Lynch
    Neal Schon
    Ronni Le Tekro (TNT)
    Billy Joe Armstrong

14. Stratosférico

Stratosférico New Member

Scorpions - Blackout
    Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East (Volume Master)
    Ozzy Osbourne (with Jake E. Lee)
    Whitesnake (1985-1990)
    and more...

By the way, although it is not a JCM 800 tone, in this video you can perfectly hear the tone of the 100W MKII:

15. Derrick111

Derrick111 Member

My vote in the 80s have already been listed (The Cult - Electric, and Billy Squire). But I can add to the 90s... Soundgarden - Superunknown! Chris Cornell may have used Mesa on stage, but he said in a guitar interview after the record came out that he wanted to hear the tubes compressing and boy he got it right with the tone of songs such as Fell On Black Days. He used a vintage 50w smallbox and matching 4X12 with 30w celestion greenbacks along with several old guitars (Jaguar, Tele, etc.). The effect on Black Hole Sun was not a pedal, it was an actual Leslie. On the tour, it was a Boss pedal. What a great sounding record over all.

16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know where to even start. Shit tons of good and novel sounds came out of those decades. From Van Halen to Sonic Youth, and far outside of those bounds in all directions. It's absolutely staggering when I start in to thinking about it.

Most everything now seems like badly done caricatures of a handful of sounds from the past. Digital is evermore taking over with generic sounds in a box, and the business of rock has become more of an endless sea of sales blurbs for me too products than a means for expression. Who is doing anything novel in rock today? And where are the novel sounds today? Compare that to all past decades of rock right back to the 40's with Charlie Christian, Stompin' at the Savoy. It doesn't take too much imagination to make the connections forward to hot electric blues players and rock n roll and obsessive rock lead players.

There is no best from the 80's and 90's. There was a great diversity of magic in those decades, continuing from previous decades, dying in the 2000's. Hat off to anyone inspired by the past attempting to reignite the torch.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  17. Kolanti

Kolanti Well-Known Member

Judas Priest
    Mercyful Fate
    Iron Maiden

Neptical and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't know if those are his or just a rented backline. He did use a variety of them back in his early days though. It's so long ago but I seem to recall seeing him early on and he had a Marshall on stage.

This song is fun too- if you have the time. Solo at about 3:00. Check out his hand around 8:00. lol

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. What?

What? Well-Known Member

My Ceriatone Plexi 51 (1987 type) sounds pretty damn killer with a strat for SRV tones. It could use a little more headroom though (and a more skilled set of hands feeding it).

Lo-Tek and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. 80sTone

80sTone Well-Known Member

Most of my favorites are already listed, but how about some love for KIX? They still put Marshalls in the backline and have great tone!