Befuddled on getting a tube practice amp

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Marshall Stack, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I have a DSL head with two cabs but I rarely play it. I have a 60s Harmony practice amp (solid state) that I end up playing more.

I would like a Fender Style amp but can't figure out which one to get. I used to have a Blues Jr but it was boxy sounding although the new model supposedly addressed that. I want something that has a nice blackface sound like Wicked Game but would also like to have a mild overdrive like Blue Jean Blues, Saint of Me and Carnival by Natalie Merchant. Am I spanning too much between blackface and tweed? There is the Tone King Imperial amp that is supposed to have two channels covering that territory.

2. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Super Champ XD

Gunner64 likes this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Or the vibro champ xd. Great little 5w amp. Really good on board efffects. Not a switching amp like the super xd, but cheap..under $200.

modeling preamp, with a 12ax7 tube in the pre. Single ended output. The super has a 12ax7..but its the phase inverter for the push pull outputs.

4. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

If you're looking for blackface tones, I would suggest a blackface reissue such as Princeton or Deluxe Reverb.
    I recently got the DRRI and it's a great sounding amp.
    Breaks up nicely at higher volumes as well as the beautiful clean tones at lower volume.
    A possible drawback I can see is that it doesn't have an effects loop. That wasn't important to me, but might be for you.

5. Wildeman

The Vibro is a great choice too, i own one and it really does the Champ thing well.

6. Wildeman

What price bracket we talkin? Tone King amps are a grip.

7. Marshall Stack

I don't care about effects loop. Just a good sounding amp. I have been considering the PRRI as it has what I'm looking for. I tried the Deluxe years and remebered it as bright. They had the Vibrolux and I liked it better with the two speakers. I bought the Blues Jr instead because it was cheaper.

mirrorman likes this.
  8. Marshall Stack

The Tone King at $2600 is probably the most I would want to spend. Most amps I have been looking at are around $1,000 to $2,000.

9. Marshall Stack

Not to be a snob, but I want an all tube amp (SS rectifier is fine). I already have a few SS amps.

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Take a good look at Ceriatone http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/american-classics/ They make top notch hand made amps for great prices, as well as British & modded British amps. They also make some HiWatt and other clones.

11. Marshall Stack

Just looked at them. I heard of Ceriatone; I thought they just offered kits. I'm leary of offshore made amps but if you say they are well made i will consider them. Wish they had more demo clips. The tweed Twin sounds awesome.

12. Wildeman

Well, with that budget there's a ton of stuff available. An 18 watt Marshall would be badass.

13. Marshall Stack

I do like Clapton's tone on the Beano album. Nice creamy mids.

14. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Carr Mercury V will get you a variety of sounds, or a Skylark for Fender tones :yesway:

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Don't let the price fool you, or the fact they are made in Malaysia. The build quality is absolutely top notch and hand wired, look at the inside pic's of the amp's. I have a "modded Plexi by them called a Chupacabra and it's the best British style amp I have ever played. They will last a lifetime because any good tech can work on them and parts are easy to get. (No PCB's) The guy that owns it is Nik, he's a great guy and will answer all your question's as well as make an amp that is just what you want. Search around and you will find some vid's on most of their amp's. Tell Nik if there is something you would like to see on the amp you like and what you want it to do. I plan on having him make me a 2 ch 100w Chupa, I'm drawing it up now. I'v owned a lot of amp's over the years, but few have made me as happy as these, especially for the money. I find most amp's of this quality are at least $3000 and I paid under $1100 for my Chupacabra 50w head. All in all they are pretty hard to beat, taking a chance on one was the best move I'v made for an amp. Another very nice clean amp that is also a great pedal platform is the Mesa California Tweed, very nice amp if your a Fender fan. A little pricey but worth every penny if it's your cup of tea, I liked the 1-12" combo but I'll bet the head and 2-12" cab sound's even better. Lot's of video's on these, check 'em out! No way you'll go wrong either way.

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

If you order a stock amp you can use this guy, I did with no problem at all. He gives free shipping as well.
    https://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=common/home

Lance Chambers likes this.