Been Verified??

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Lo-Tek, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Been Verified, Truth Finder - there are a few websites like these out there. Because of some recent family deaths I was curious about marriage/divorce records; supposedly these sites contain that info.
    Has anybody ever used one of these sites? Do they in fact have divorce records?
    Part of me thinks it might be a bit creepy to pay for a background search. How do these sites compile all this info? Weird. Big Brotherish.
    On the other hand if I did fork over the money I could check my info too which could be interesting.

Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

2. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I used it when I was going for custody of my daughter. I was trying whatever means I could for my case and wanted to see what the mother had in her records.

All the information on one of these reports is gathered from public sources. You could probably find the same info if you looked around on the internet. Even legal stuff on a person is complied in our state were you can look them up to see what is out there.

They also list stuff like previous addresses and people that might be related to that person or linked in other ways.

You might be able to find the divorce stuff on a state government website. For example, Missouri has a site called case.net and is free. Some states might charge a couple of bucks.

The thing with Been Verified is of course the search is free but you have to pay for the report. They will make it sound like they found major stuff in it but there really isn't.

Lo-Tek and Dogs of Doom like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I saw an ad for one of those sites. I did a search on myself, & it came up, that I had 3 arrests on my record & I could find out what they were if I paid so many dollars. I didn't pay, but... The fact, that they put out that I have 3 arrests is totally false. If someone was doing a simple check on me, on that site & didn't pay, they'd think I had 3 arrests, & by me not disclosing them, would lead them to believe that I was an unscrupulous character.

Defaming, IMO...

I have zero arrests on my record.

The info they scrub, is from public records. Whether the records pertain to you, or not, is another story.

It just depends on how well you know the story, of the person you're looking up. Chances are, if you're looking someone up, you do not know the story & anything that comes up can be believable.

I think these things are dangerous, if they are advertising to the general public, then gathering faulty data, that misleads someone to believe bad info on the person that they look up.

So, while you may find some info, that you wouldn't easily find on your own, you'll still have to verify that info & match it to the person by other methods/records.

Vinsanitizer and Lo-Tek like this.
  4. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

If I want the state does have a site where you can pay to get divorce records but it seems there is a wait to get them. That probably is the better way to go though if I decide it's worth the effort but it is a little tempting to pay the fee and get immediate results.

Yeah, that's why I thought if I paid for the "one month subscription" it would be fun to check my search results. I would imagine there is a way to contest incorrect facts. Plus it could be good to know if I somehow ended up on some kind of government watch list. lol

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

the problem, is that, let's say your boss, just for funs, looks you up & it comes up w/ Lo-Tek has 5 criminal records, including 3 arrests.

Your boss wasn't really that interested, in paying to find out, but did it for grins. He still doesn't want to pay, but, now he has that thought, that you might not be a trustworthy employee, or human being. May even fire you...

IMO, that's just wrong, all for a salacious sales pitch to get $10-20.

The info, they scrape (if legit), should only be from public record, including court documents, etc. If the FBI/GOV was watching you, there'd most likely be no public record of it.