Bedroom Jeff Beck Truth-era tone

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by happiessstan, Feb 25, 2021.

1. happiessstan

happiessstan New Member

Hi guys.

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere (I did check but nothing specific!)

I'm looking for a small(ish) all valve Marshall that would get me somewhere in the ballpark of YB/Truth-era Beck tone. (I appreciate the amp is only a small part of the overall sound he managed to achieve though).

Having conducted some preliminary research, it sounds like one of the Class 5, Origin or SV20c (or even a Vox AC15) might fit the bill, albeit the latter maybe a little TOO loud for a bedroom guitarist?

Not going to lie, second to sound, asthetics may also play a part in the decison (i.e. something similar to a Bluesbreaker).

Budget is up to about £800.

Thanks in advance for any input!

fitz288 likes this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That’s a bit over 1100 in $ right? I’m pretty sure he used a Vox AC30 in those days, so maybe the AC15 you mentioned?

I know very little about Vox amps, so I don’t know if a AC15 has the same or similar voicing to a AC30.

What about getting an AC30 and an inexpensive, but quality attenuator, would that work?

Old Punker and fitz288 like this.
  3. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Origin 20H. Has .5, 3 and 20 watt output. Well under your budget which leaves you room for other things.

Old Punker, Neptical and fitz288 like this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

:welcome: Welcome to the forum.
    As @scozz just said, you'll probably need an attenuator on a SV20 to get cranked tube amp tones at bedroom volume.
    And as @Biff Maloy has said, the Origin20 has a master volume and built in attenuation.
    An OD pedal up front, and EQ in the loop, can also make a world of difference in getting the tones you're looking for.

Old Punker and Neptical like this.
  5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

SV20 also has a low power setting...

the thing is, 5 watts is still not bedroom volume, for most people.

Beck, was playing loud. You can bet that some sort of greenbacks. Kind of a fizzy sound on that, but, it's a sound a lot of people like. He's really pushing those speakers, which is a lot of the tone.

If you can find a 6100 used, you could probably get some sounds similar from a more modern amp. You'll still want some greenbacks, or the H30 speakers. I like the 55hz version...

tce63, Old Punker and fitz288 like this.
  6. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Came to mention what @Biff Maloy recommended...the Origin 20h.

@fitz288 Nailed it as well. These [to me] are the absolute best tools I find that you can own with ANY amp to sculpt your tone any way you want. If these two items were used more often, there probably wouldn't be as many amps out there for sale. lol.

tce63, Old Punker and fitz288 like this.