Beano Boost?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by neoclassical, Aug 6, 2020.

1. neoclassical

neoclassical Active Member

Does anyone here own the Analog Man Beano Boost? If so what do you like or dislike compared to the Black Cat War Pig, Fulltone Ranger, or R2R? I'm on the fence with the Beano or War Pig so far. I never have the cash around when R2R drops units. Both the Beano and WP have the right components at close enough to the right price.

TIA

2. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I do! I love my Beano Boost. I can't compare it to anything else because the Beano is the only trebble booster I've ever owned. What I like about it is that it sounds great with any pedal I stack it into. I also love that it has a toggle switch to switch between frequencies. Sunface into beano is fuzz heaven too!

3. neoclassical

4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Sorry all I’ve got is the keeley Java boost with a cv7003. Has 3 position switch that covers all the major types of treble boosters. Love it. Fulltone ranger is on my list though.

Barfly likes this.
  5. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener. Silver Supporting Member

Plus one.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  6. neoclassical

I have a War Pig on the way. https://reverb.com/item/35098938-da...tage-copy-mullard-oc44-all-vintage-components Analgman ran out of the transistors I wanted and raised the price of the OC series mullards he has left to $45 add on (no OC44 or 71 as an option).

John seems to stand behind his boosters -will refund my $ and pay for shipping back to the UK if I don't like it. He also guarantees it will sound like early Sabbath and says he built one foe Iommi as well.

nickfox likes this.
  7. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I have 5 treble boosters. A beano boost with the white dot NKT275, a D*A*M red rooster, roger mayer concorde+, vemuram shanks (3 knob), and williams ranger. My favorite by far is the beano boost. It just has a beautiful grit, sustain and harmonics. Many people, including me, consider it to be the gold standard of treble boosters. AnalogMike just has a great ear.

I also have a few home built ones. I recently bought a broken radio made in 1960 for 20 bucks. It's a Bush radio and it has 8 mullard transistors in it (OC44, OC45 (2), OC72 (4), OA70). If you're handy with a soldering iron, it may be worth going down the rabbit hole and buying old 1960s radios off of ebay. That will get you some very nice transistors. I know that's what Chris over at R2R does. He told me in an email he buys old equipment (like 1960s tape recorders etc) to use in his pedals, which always look superb and sound excellent.

Depends on how deep you want to go... :)

bush_small.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  8. Amadeus91

Amadeus91 Well-Known Member

^^^^^Quite an arsenal you have at your disposal^^^^^ :applause:

neoclassical and nickfox like this.
  9. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm going to be selling some soon. Honestly, the only one I use is the beano boost. The reason why I got the others was to see if they sounded better.

And as far as the radio is concerned, I've been working on it trying to get it working. It has a beautiful little 4 1/2" celestion speaker which was ripped. I was able to glue it back together and last night I hooked up a battery to the radio and heard noise. I'm going to insert a guitar jack right before the volume pot and see how it sounds. I'm kind of thinking of Brian May's little deacy amp. If it sounds cool, I will add it to my amp arsenal, if not the transistors will become the next victims to come up against the beano boost.

There can be only one... :)

n

10. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Beano is a pedal that will never leave my board. It has a permanent spot on there.

nickfox likes this.
  11. neoclassical

6 weeks. I ordered a War Pig that was never sent to me from Black Cat Vintage Guitar fx. I've received numerous emails from the seller promising the pedal was built/shipped which culminated with a FedEx and Parcel2Go tracking number showing (again) the package was never picked up on his end. After a few hours, Parcel2Go no longer has a record of the package (Unfortunately no tracking information was found using the reference that you provided), and FedEx have not received it (it was to be picked up by 5pm seller's time). Also I see he is completing units for others on his instagram account and new website as well as receiving reviews on Reverb for finished units and quick shipping the whole time I'm waiting for mine. His usual turn around is 10-14 days -I've been waiting for 6 weeks as of 10/1/2020.

12. neoclassical

Black Cat Vintage FX is refunding my money, we'll see if that actually happens just like ordering a unit from them. I can't believe I'm saying I have to "settle for" an Analog Man Beano. The War Pig was the unit to have -OC44, Mullard tone caps, vintage resistors, and hand wired. Idk why others got theirs but mine was "built, tested" etc but never sent out every time I contacted him.

13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

If you're hung up on an OC44 ask Mike if he has and can use one in your build.
    I know nothing about the caps/resistors / transistors whatever but I have owned the Beano and have communicated with Mike on several occasions.
    First class pedal and builder.
    BP

14. neoclassical

According to the website Mike doesn't have any OC44's. I've been priced out of a OC44 boost now.

BanditPanda likes this.
  15. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Realizing that these are Rangemaster clones, I am in waiting for a replica style from overseas. I have played real DRM and hoping that the results will fair. It is all about the transistor with these, so I will see what their circuit will sound like.

16. neoclassical

Omg it's on its way!

17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Good news for a change!!!
    BP

18. neoclassical

Finally got the War Pig from Black Cat Vintage Guitar FX, it is nicely wired. Pics and review later -I'm nursing a knee injury and will need to slide down the basement steps to test it.

BanditPanda likes this.
  19. neoclassical

It is Iommi in a box. The first 2 albums and Evil Woman at my beck and call.