Basic Jvm 410 Question

ceremony5150

Reaction score
On the footswitch, instead of having a button for effects loop and Master Volume, can I add two extra settings?

Simply put, can I have 6 footswichable channels?

I run delay all the time and use a separate pedal as a volume boost. 6 different sounds instead of effects and volume would be great

Last edited:

BillW

Reaction score
Yes, the footswitch buttons can be programmed to recall presets, which have state of all front panel buttons: channel/mode (green/orange/red), master 1/2, reverb on/off, and FX loop on/off. The manual explains how to program it, basically you configure your settings, turn on "Footswitch program" button, and press desired footswitch button for 3 seconds.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...g1.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFDKS7zEjXX3Oy-wi1w6Eq3b7Cc6A

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Absolutely, the switch can be programmed to do anything you want it to do. You can save it "patch" style where it will recall the MV, reverb, channel/mode settings, or you can have the button set to do a single function like turn on the reverb, change the mode, etc.

To proram it you just have to hit the footswitch button on the amp, then if you want to do a "patch" simply press and hold the button # you want on the switch until the program light on the amp blinks. If you wish to program single function have the program button on the amp illuminated, then hold the button for the function you want to program (reverb, volume, etc) then tap the footswitch button # you want it set to. The light on the amp will blink and you're all done.

The JVM footswitch is the absolute best in the business.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
On the footswitch, instead of having a button for effects loop and Master Volume, can I add two extra settings?

Simply put, can I have 6 footswichable channels?

I run delay all the time and use a separate pedal as a volume boost. 6 different sounds instead of effects and volume would be great
As stated previously, all switches on the JVM footswitch can be programmed to operate in either switch store more or preset mode. The manual can explain how to do this, but after reading it, it takes just seconds to do.

A second option is to use a MIDI foot controller with the JVM (all JVMs can be used with most MIDI foot controllers). A MIDI foot controller can let you program and save the status of the JVM switches similarly to the way the JVM footswitch can be use in preset mode, but the difference is that you can usually save more presets on a MIDI foot controller. Designs and features may vary, but most MIDI foot controllers arrange your presets in banks. I use a MIDI foot controller with my stock 410H for years and I love it; the switching is fast and saves me lots of time and effort. I arrange my banks according to a song set list, then I create/save presets for certain song parts. For example, song #1 in a set list is Bank A; then, preset 1 is used in the intro for song #1; preset 2 is used in the chorus section of song #2, etc. This is just an example of the way I do things and you do not have to use a MIDI foot controller this same way.

And things get even easier if you use a MIDI foot controller with either a multi-effects system or rack effects system. I use a multi-effects system with a built-in foot controller and with built-in MIDI connectivity. After setting up my effects and selecting JVM features, I just save both to a preset on the foot controller via MIDI. Then, by only pressing one foot switch, I can instantly make changes to the effects system and the JVM. For example:
Bank 1, preset one: JVM clean channel/green mode+JVM reverb off+JVM master volume 1+JVM effects loop on+multi-effects delay on+multi-effects chorus on.

Bank 1, preset two: JVM crunch channel/orange mode+JVM reverb on+JVM master volume 2+JVM effects loop on+multi-effects noise gate on+multi-effects chorus on.

Again, one button makes all the changes instantly as opposed to turning all these features on/off one by one. Granted, you can use a MIDI foot controller with floor pedals/stomp boxes, though you might still have to turn some effects on/off. But with either a multi-effects unit or a rack effects unit, all your effects are in one place and you can usually dial in and save all parameters. Basically, if you're gonna use a MIDI foot controller, it's much easier if you're using a multi-effects system or rack system rather than individual pedals. Also, all JVMs do not support "phantom power" at the MIDI ports, so you'll have to get a separate power source for your MIDI foot controller (either an adapter or batteries, usually).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sir Don

Reaction score
I"ve been using a midi controller from day one with my JVM. In fact, the Marshall foot switches are still in their original boxes, I've never connected them. I use a GT8 to change channels and effects. I also have a GT 100 but for some reason it doesn't seem to interface very well with the JVM. Occasionally there are channel switching problems with it.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
As stated previously, all switches on the JVM footswitch can be programmed to operate in either switch store more or preset mode. The manual can explain how to do this, but after reading it, it takes just seconds to do.

A second option is to use a MIDI foot controller with the JVM (all JVMs can be used with most MIDI foot controllers). A MIDI foot controller can let you program and save the status of the JVM switches similarly to the way the JVM footswitch can be use in preset mode, but the difference is that you can usually save more presets on a MIDI foot controller. Designs and features may vary, but most MIDI foot controllers arrange your presets in banks. I use a MIDI foot controller with my stock 410H for years and I love it; the switching is fast and saves me lots of time and effort. I arrange my banks according to a song set list, then I create/save presets for certain song parts. For example, song #1 in a set list is Bank A; then, preset 1 is used in the intro for song #1; preset 2 is used in the chorus section of song #2, etc. This is just an example of the way I do things and you do not have to use a MIDI foot controller this same way.

And things get even easier if you use a MIDI foot controller with either a multi-effects system or rack effects system. I use a multi-effects system with a built-in foot controller and with built-in MIDI connectivity. After setting up my effects and selecting JVM features, I just save both to a preset on the foot controller via MIDI. Then, by only pressing one foot switch, I can instantly make changes to the effects system and the JVM. For example:
Bank 1, preset one: JVM clean channel/green mode+JVM reverb off+JVM master volume 1+JVM effects loop on+multi-effects delay on+multi-effects chorus on.

Bank 1, preset two: JVM crunch channel/orange mode+JVM reverb on+JVM master volume 2+JVM effects loop on+multi-effects noise gate on+multi-effects chorus on.

Again, one button makes all the changes instantly as opposed to turning all these features on/off one by one. Granted, you can use a MIDI foot controller with floor pedals/stomp boxes, though you might still have to turn some effects on/off. But with either a multi-effects unit or a rack effects unit, all your effects are in one place and you can usually dial in and save all parameters. Basically, if you're gonna use a MIDI foot controller, it's much easier if you're using a multi-effects system or rack system rather than individual pedals. Also, all JVMs do not support "phantom power" at the MIDI ports, so you'll have to get a separate power source for your MIDI foot controller (either an adapter or batteries, usually).

Hope this helps.

This is a great point as well. Midi controllers open a whole host of other options. The other cool thing you can do, if you're so inclined would be to use a multi effects unit like a POD HD500 which has midi built in. When you connect that to the JVM you can have both work in sync, meaning that you can hit a button on the POD and it will change it's peramiters AND the JVM settings, so you could have a patch set for clean and use the POD to switch the JVM to channel 1 green while at the same time you can use the POD to add a little reverb, delay, or whatever you want. On the other side you can take it over to channel 4 red and use the POD to add some EQ, delay, etc for a lead tone. You can also do anything in between. Better effects units can work too like the Elevin rack, or the Axe FX8. Having the ability to integrate the effects units as controllers is one of the best features of the amp.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I have the 410 and the 205, neither factory foot switch has been out of the box.

I use a Behringer FCB1010 & TC G-Major with the 410 and TC Nova System with the 205.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I use a JVM410 with TC ELectronics G-Major and MIDIverb. It's incredibly powerful! I can switch channels, modes and effects simultaneously. For example, my set ups is

Bank 0

Pedal 1 = Clean Green with Chorus
Pedal 2 = Crunch Red with noisegate (Ryhthm Guitar)
Pedal 3 = OD1 with noisegate (Ryhthm Guitar)
Pedal 4 = OD2 with MIDIVERB reverb and G-MAjor Delay (Lead channel)
Pedal 5 = Same as 4, but more delay
etc.....

Banks 1, 2, 3 etc have variations of the above, with different channels/modes and effects...

I also use the pedals on bank 9 (1 back from 0) to control samples, etc via my laptop!

Reaction score
I figure I'll ask this here, as I've learned a lot from this forum.

I'm a total novice at the MIDI thing. I've been using a Digitech RP1000 (no MIDI), and after playing my 410 for a show this past weekend, I wasn't happy. I'm too old to be doing a tap dance all night long, and I realized that I will fall & die whilst trying to continuously do as such! So - I got a used HD500x yesterday. I only want to use it for effects in conjunction with the 410. I just want to be able to have presets and be able to change channels and have certain effects at the same time!

I reckon one MIDI cable will work? What kind? 5 pin on both sides? I know I'll need at least a 30' long cable.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

spacerocker

Reaction score
I figure I'll ask this here, as I've learned a lot from this forum.

I'm a total novice at the MIDI thing. I've been using a Digitech RP1000 (no MIDI), and after playing my 410 for a show this past weekend, I wasn't happy. I'm too old to be doing a tap dance all night long, and I realized that I will fall & die whilst trying to continuously do as such! So - I got a used HD500x yesterday. I only want to use it for effects in conjunction with the 410. I just want to be able to have presets and be able to change channels and have certain effects at the same time!

I reckon one MIDI cable will work? What kind? 5 pin on both sides? I know I'll need at least a 30' long cable.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sounds like MIDI actuation is exactly what you need! You will be able to recall any combination of JVM settings (Channels, Modes, Loop, reverb and MV settings) and whatever effects patches you need - with the press of one foot switch! You will then press a different swicth to switch it back (i.e. with MIDI on the Standard JVM you store switch presets - you can't toggle settings on and off with the same pedal) - see my post above

Yes - a standard, 5-Pin MIDI cable is what you need!

I can't comment on how to used the HD500X, as I have never used one.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Any decent MIDI cable should work.
If you are familiar with the 4 Cable Method (4CM), that may be your best bet for what you are after.
https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/4-cable-method-4cm
Any noise gates, compressors, wah, ODs, etc. can be placed in front of the 410 preamp.
EQ, TBEs, volume pedal, etc. can go after.
The final processed signal goes to the 410 power amp.

MIDI programming of a 410 is supposedly very easy, but only 'button' settings can be saved.
i.e. channel (inc. channel mode), MV 1 or 2 selection, Channel Reverb on or off, FX loop on or off.

The positions of the volume, gain, EQ, MVs and reverb knobs cannot be saved for recall at different settings.
e.g. the EQ for Crunch Green can only be the same as for Crunch Red.
But the effects settings in the HD500X can, so you could have different EQ for each mode via the HD500X.

I run a DSL40CR in MIDI 4CM to a Boss GT-100.
The main difference in MIDI programming is the lack of 'Random Access' with a DSL.
The JVM can have 4 Clean patches in a row in a Bank (i.e. any channel sequence).
But the DSL can only ever have Clean, Crunch, OD1, OD2 in a Bank, in that order.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting all that going. Should be a massive help, and will hopefully keep me from possibly breaking body parts as well!

Been using the 4CM for quite a while with the RP1000, so I’ll be in good shape with that.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Well - here’s the update. Hooked the MIDI cable in to the HD500x, and much to my surprise - it worked perfectly without having to do anything to the 410 or the Pod. . Too easy!

Now on to the not so good part. In using the 500x, I’ve now obtained the horrific noise problems on OD1 & OD2 that I’ve read about. All new preamp tubes including :
V1 - ecc823
V2 - ecc5751
V3 - ecc803

New ecc83’s in all other sockets, and all are JJ’s. I’ve tried using the noise gates of the 500x in pretty much all spots of the signal chain - but no good. I get the same problem I’ve seen people write about in here - the squeals when the volume goes up, even when guitar volume is turned off, etc..

The noise gate in my Digitech RP1000 will absolutely stomp all of the noise out. I got desperate enough to where I literally plugged into it and ran a line out of it into the 500x, but that didn’t work, either.

Would there be another way of hooking the RP1000 into the 500x to take advantage of the 1000’s gate? Would I be better off getting a Decimator? Where should I stick that in the signal flow of the 500x?

I feel like I’m just about there, but the OD channels are pretty much unusable a this point. Oddly, I can get a great distorted sound with the 500x using the Engl model and just using the JVM power section, but that seems like such a waste of life and JVM channels!

Thrilled with how great the MIDI is working, but can’t handle the noise! FYI: I am using the 4CM.

Thanks again for the help, y’all!

Latest posts