Bad night @ gig?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Had a gig yesterday and I just didn't feel it. The tone coming from the amp was weird (odd acoustics in the room) and I played like crap.

I hate it when that happens. :mad:

Hollowbody

Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean. On those days there's this negative synergy between the physical sound of the amp/room and my perception of my playing.

It's like trying to crack a code that you already know but the combination is still elusive.

Then there are those magical days where you are completely in the zone.

I haven't been able to make that happen each time and maybe I'm not supposed to force it to happen but sometimes I think we have to go through some of the bad gigs to get to the good ones.

ckr1231

Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean. On those days there's this negative synergy between the physical sound of the amp/room and my perception of my playing.

It's like trying to crack a code that you already know but the combination is still elusive.

Then there are those magical days where you are completely in the zone.

I haven't been able to make that happen each time and maybe I'm not supposed to force it to happen but sometimes I think we have to go through some of the bad gigs to get to the good ones.
Ritchie Blackmore called that "having to transcend the boundries"

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Had a gig yesterday and I just didn't feel it. The tone coming from the amp was weird (odd acoustics in the room) and I played like crap.

I hate it when that happens. :mad:

Must had been in the air!!!! I had the worst rehearsal in years last night... I played like one of those kids bashing Enter Sandman at GC... horrible...

For the first 2 hours I had this thin tone and cracking noise, troubleshoot every single cable and patch cable on my pedal board... and at the end out of desperation, the last thing I tried... plugged onto another outlet... solved!!!

It was too late... my mojo was gone, stamina was running thin. So we played a couple more and called it a night.

Anyways... I'll move on

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Hehe, It also happens to me...

Sometimes, late at night when nobody's listening, I come up with the best licks and riffs, and my tone and playing are realy great. And sometimes, when I play live my tone sucks, and my playing sucks.

StootMonster

Reaction score
I have noticed that venues with low ceilings contribute to horrible tone. I don't know enough about sound waves to tell you why, but it never fails. As far as playing badly, I hate it when that happens! I think the best way to play yourself out of a bad night might be to not try to do amazing stuff, just keep it simple and try and play in time.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Yeah... but it was more than just the tone. I think that even if the stage sound would have been great, I still would not have played right. Oh well... There wasn't a lot of people at the show either .

thetragichero

Reaction score
weird, we had our tightest set in months last night
generally these are the nights when i drink too much and throw around my gear around
surprisingly enough, that was our last show but the promoter liked us and has already booked us for more gigs... i think part of it is that we're perfectionists so if a little thing goes wrong we freak out, even if it's not noticeable by the crowd

marvar

Reaction score
-adapt and overcome......
Also, feel safe with the knowledge that 95% of the patrons don't really have a clue as to what good tone is, and after the 2nd set (when the alcohol sets in) they don't care at all!
Mostly the only thing they remember is if you played their favorite song.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24_tiGZgPP4&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Maybe sometimes the gigs electrical system is not delivering properly so your amp bias is off and sounds wacked, or certain temperature/humidity is causing the speakers to respond differently?

I think those two things, speakers and tubes can sometimes have 'off nights' because of certain conditions, and it really affects your sound when it does.

thetragichero

Reaction score
last night's gig went well, too
besides some drunk townie trying to start shit with somebody from the touring band (all super chill, nice dudes), but i think he got the message you don't mess with someone in our extended family

Latest posts