Bad News Tubes: 3/11/2022

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Anyone know what a "SKIFF" is?
Just before this tube crisis, I took a 2204 to my local tech.
He said he had to return an entire "SKIFF" of brand new tubes, due to tube testing failure....
I m not sure how many tubes are in a SKIFF, but...
I bet he regrets returning a large amount of tubes, just a few weeks ago!
Poor guy.

daftman

Reaction score
Friedman?
He said in a podcast several years ago, that Marshall no longer produced amplifiers is England.
We all know that is not true.
He evidently received much feedback from his statement.
The podcast was removed from youtube, edited, then re-published.
Nothing like shitting on your mentor.
No respect here.
Yes Big D Friedman, I think he is still mad over the cease and desist order Marshall was rumored to have sent to him when he was branding the original BE models Marsha using the Marshall script logos missing two L's.

He then renamed them to BE short for "Brown Eye" aka a$$hole which I sure was directed at Marshall themselves as a middle finger gesture.

Thats the way the rumored internet folklore fable goes anyways.

I can totally see that was a cheap shot by him but hey mighta got him some business lol

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
True, but buying 4 at a time is a much smaller risk than a run of 100 for us regular Joe's.
but, you can buy singles, as I noted. I only posted the 100+ ad, because that means that, they presumably have 100s in stock. They say, that w/ orders of 1,000+, they require more time, so, maybe they are relying on a supplier, for big industrial orders, but, if their ad's are legit, they have tubes in stock...

If they have min orders of 100, they probably won't run out of singles any time soon...

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Yes Big D Friedman, I think he is still mad over the cease and desist order Marshall was rumored to have sent to him when he was branding the original BE models Marsha using the Marshall script logos missing two L's.

He then renamed them to BE short for "Brown Eye" aka a$$hole which I sure was directed at Marshall themselves as a middle finger gesture.

Thats the way the rumored internet folklore fable goes anyways.

I can totally see that was a cheap shot by him but hey mighta got him some business lol
IF (key word IF) If I wanted a Friedman BE , Id skip the faaat fukkk, and order a Ceriatone AH, from Nik.
Nik at Ceriatone has never disrespected Jim Marshall (The father of LOUD) like Friedman has, especially when your livelihood is based on a mentor like Jim Marshall.
A Ceriatone sounds better and is 1/2 the price!
Anyway,...back on topic!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
but, you can buy singles, as I noted. I only posted the 100+ ad, because that means that, they presumably have 100s in stock. They say, that w/ orders of 1,000+, they require more time, so, maybe they are relying on a supplier, for big industrial orders, but, if their ad's are legit, they have tubes in stock...

If they have min orders of 100, they probably won't run out of singles any time soon...
Perhaps a MF "GROUP PURCHASE" would be a good idea?
Buy 100, and split the cost between numerous members here!

playloud

Reaction score
I am not worried, EL34 quads are still widely available :eek::

I am actually interested to try these, but you can get nice NOS quads (e.g. RFT, Winged C) for less. There's a store in France that has them a little cheaper.

Might see if I can get a quad of these to try though.

daftman

Reaction score
IF (key word IF) If I wanted a Friedman BE , Id skip the faaat fukkk, and order a Ceriatone AH, from Nik.
Nik at Ceriatone has never disrespected Jim Marshall (The father of LOUD) like Friedman has, especially when your livelihood is based on a mentor like Jim Marshall.
A Ceriatone sounds better and is 1/2 the price!
Anyway,...back on topic!
On topic >>>>I was following the tube shortage since Shuguang went down. Ive purchased a lot of Shuguang 6L6WGB direct from China as well as the 12AX7B's and had good luck. I bought some 6N4J direct from Alibaba and they were the real deal. I purchased some from Ebay and the were counterfeits that were most likely dumpster finds. Lost on those as I cancelled the refund process as the vender promised to replace them, never did so wont do that again. I was able to get EH EL34 sets and pair over several weeks at StewMac so Im stocked up enough for the few cats I retube for as well as myself.

Off Topic>>>> I own a Ceriatone Yeti 100 since 2019 so know whats up with Niks stuff. I also got a HotMod EvoV2 handwired Lynch Model direct from David as he was on the last run of handwired before going PCB. That thing is a monster now.

I also have 2 JVM410H ones modded and ones stock so do I need tubes yes lol

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Off Topic>>>> I own a Ceriatone Yeti 100 since 2019 so know whats up with Niks stuff. I also got a HotMod EvoV2 handwired Lynch Model direct from David as he was on the last run of handwired before going PCB. That thing is a monster now.
IMG_4172.JPG

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
On topic >>>>I was following the tube shortage since Shuguang went down. Ive purchased a lot of Shuguang 6L6WGB direct from China as well as the 12AX7B's and had good luck. I bought some 6N4J direct from Alibaba and they were the real deal. I purchased some from Ebay and the were counterfeits that were most likely dumpster finds. Lost on those as I cancelled the refund process as the vender promised to replace them, never did so wont do that again. I was able to get EH EL34 sets and pair over several weeks at StewMac so Im stocked up enough for the few cats I retube for as well as myself.

I also have 2 JVM410H ones modded and ones stock so do I need tubes yes lol
I have a Yeti/Chupa on order!
AND, I have the Lynch mod in my Marshall 2204!
Rock and Roll!

tmingle

Reaction score
I just purchased a quad of groove tubes el-34 & a pair of Psane el-34's.
If I get them, I should be good forever.
We're writing to inform you that your order has been canceled. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. In most cases, you pay for items when we ship them to you, so you won't be charged for items that are canceled.*

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'd be interested in pitching in on a group buy of certain kinds of tubes. If someone wants to take the lead on this, contact me as a likely participant.

Looking at ebay you'd think nobody had seen a new tube in years. The panic is already there.

Latest posts