Ivan H

Reaction score
What about the legal rights and all that
crap? If you read on their page they had
to go through a lot of legal stuff to build
the 300-B again.

Someone may own rights to EL34 ECC83
and so forth.
Well Philips had owned the EL34 & also owned "Pentode" rights. It was because of their owning the Pentode rights that the Beam Tetrode came about. I believe that the pentode rights have long since expired. Not sure on the EL34, but I'm more interest in spreading the word on Western Electric than discussing tube "rights" which I'm sure Western Electric's legal team will be better informed on than any of us. Cheers

jeffb

Reaction score
In my good computer speakers the difference was almost undetectable. In my studio cans a bit more easy to hear. I'm sure the difference would be more noticeable in the room-between recording, and youtube compression you always have to factor that in.

That said, the original Shugang EL34Bs TAD/RUBY/GT had were very good sounding tubes (cp or otherwise), so I'm sure these will be as well.

As Pete mentioned, longevity is the big question.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Years ago he posted a glowing review of the Vertex Axis Wah (a rebranded BBE Wah that turned out to be a total scam). I cannot take any of his review seriously after that.
Same here with a MIAB pedal which shouted Best Marshall Pedal Ever! Bought it. It wasn't.
He just entered a phase which was purely do as many as you can for the money not really caring about what he was endorsing imo.

jeffb

Reaction score
Same here with a MIAB pedal which shouted Best Marshall Pedal Ever! Bought it. It wasn't.
He just entered a phase which was purely do as many as you can for the money not really caring about what he was endorsing imo.

I get what you are saying, but...

Everyone on youtube backs the flavor of the month. It's been done with every Catalinbread, Wampler, Bogner, Friedman, whatever- he's far from the only one to talk up XYZ. It now comes in coordinated waves from the influencers as they are released. It's not just a Pete Thorn thing.

And MIAB are so damned finnicky to amp, speakers, rigs. They are completely overhyped to begin with. If pedals were as good as everyone says they are, there wouldn't be any amps being made. It's just a way to sucker money out of people who are unable to have the amps the pedals are mimicking- it's really kind of a shitty business, honestly. "Can't crank a Marshall? Buy this pedal! Here's a very controlled and engineered comparison video full of youtube compression to make telling the difference practically impossible. Why pay thousands when you can have this little teeny box for $200?"

Until consumers put their foot down- and this includes the music industry writers/influencers, this will continue.

Caveat Emptor!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
ANYTHING musical is 100% subjective!
My favorite whammy bar, MIAB pedal,tube, or amplifier, is PROBABLY NOT going to be your favorite!

Benighted

Reaction score
ANYTHING musical is 100% subjective!
My favorite whammy bar, MIAB pedal,tube, or amplifier, is PROBABLY NOT going to be your favorite!
Of course. Being subjective is 100% fine as long as you are not paid to hype products online. If you are paid, you are not just subjective, but also biased, and therefore untrustworthy. When was the last time you watched a strongly worded negative review from one of the "influencers"? Honest online reviews are something from the past.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Of course. Being subjective is 100% fine as long as you are not paid to hype products online. If you are paid, you are not just subjective, but also biased, and therefore untrustworthy. When was the last time you watched a strongly worded negative review from one of the "influencers"? Honest online reviews are something from the past.
RELAX! HE SAYS IN THE VIDEO THAT HE PAID FOR THE TUBES!

playloud

Reaction score
Just to hark back to a point I made a few days ago, here are some used ECC83s that sold today. I'd take those any day over $30/piece new production JJs.

The picture for EL34s isn't looking so rosy though. I guess the "Philips England" description wasn't enough for these Mullards XF2s to fly under the radar!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Had a full set of Svetlana's in my cart at the tube store. Was going to run at about 180 bucks. Went to make the purchase last night and the cost had risen to over 300 bucks! That cart got emptied pretty darn quick I'll tell ya.
Still got the original Marshall tubes as spares so will be ok for a while.
BP

ttyler

Reaction score
Had a full set of Svetlana's in my cart at the tube store. Was going to run at about 180 bucks. Went to make the purchase last night and the cost had risen to over 300 bucks! That cart got emptied pretty darn quick I'll tell ya.
Still got the original Marshall tubes as spares so will be ok for a while.
BP
Wow. That’s like my experience last week. Paid $52 each for KT88s in 2019. Last week (just before word got out) I checked and couldn’t believe they were up to $73 each! But….later that day they were up to $107 each! That was right before the website shut down due to demand. It was up again yesterday, but is now shut down again.

tmingle

Reaction score
In my good computer speakers the difference was almost undetectable. In my studio cans a bit more easy to hear. I'm sure the difference would be more noticeable in the room-between recording, and youtube compression you always have to factor that in.

That said, the original Shugang EL34Bs TAD/RUBY/GT had were very good sounding tubes (cp or otherwise), so I'm sure these will be as well.

As Pete mentioned, longevity is the big question.
I've had good luck with the TAD's in my DSL40C. I must have hit a bad batch of JJ's a couple years back. I went thru 2 sets in less than 6 months. They started to turn gray inside the glass & would arc ocassionally.

Latest posts