Back from the mountains, 1838 Rendezvous..

DaDoc

Reaction score
And as they used to say back in the old days, it was shinin' times! :woot:

The 1838 rendezvous was awesome, didn't disappoint. For me, this was the most music I've ever played in a live setting since moving to Montana..Met and made friends with some old pros, these guys have been around since the 60's and have played with a lot of well-known musicians..Some names that got dropped included guys like Charlie Musselwhite and Waylon Jennings..Long list actually, more than I can remember! :wow:

They were gracious enough to let me sit in, been a long time since I jammed with guys of this caliber but I held my own..At one point I did my version of Neil Young's "Heart Of Gold", (complete with harmonica) and I was a bit apprehensive as there was a world-class harpist in-house..But at the end of the song he told me "Hell, you did that better than Neil!"

I wouldn't go that far but it still made my night..Heck, made my week! :D

As I said in another thread, as soon as I can figure out how to post pics I'll put some up!

Oh, and the apple pie was a hit in camp..I took a gallon but probably should have made five, it lasted about a day and a half!

But the best thing of all was I acquired a Renaissance-era Hurdy-Gurdy..I already had a Medieval-era Gurdy (Like the one Jimmy Page was playing at the opening scene of "The Song Remains The Same") but the Renaissance-era model is fully chromatic, has more strings and does a lot more stuff..Of course it's also a lot more complicated, but I'm already getting some licks and melodies worked out..I love these things, they're like a stringed instrument that sounds kinda like bagpipes! :dude:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
And as they used to say back in the old days, it was shinin' times! :woot:

The 1838 rendezvous was awesome, didn't disappoint. For me, this was the most music I've ever played in a live setting since moving to Montana..Met and made friends with some old pros, these guys have been around since the 60's and have played with a lot of well-known musicians..Some names that got dropped included guys like Charlie Musselwhite and Waylon Jennings..Long list actually, more than I can remember! :wow:

They were gracious enough to let me sit in, been a long time since I jammed with guys of this caliber but I held my own..At one point I did my version of Neil Young's "Heart Of Gold", (complete with harmonica) and I was a bit apprehensive as there was a world-class harpist in-house..But at the end of the song he told me "Hell, you did that better than Neil!"

I wouldn't go that far but it still made my night..Heck, made my week! :D

As I said in another thread, as soon as I can figure out how to post pics I'll put some up!

Oh, and the apple pie was a hit in camp..I took a gallon but probably should have made five, it lasted about a day and a half!

But the best thing of all was I acquired a Renaissance-era Hurdy-Gurdy..I already had a Medieval-era Gurdy (Like the one Jimmy Page was playing at the opening scene of "The Song Remains The Same") but the Renaissance-era model is fully chromatic, has more strings and does a lot more stuff..Of course it's also a lot more complicated, but I'm already getting some licks and melodies worked out..I love these things, they're like a stringed instrument that sounds kinda like bagpipes! :dude:
Fantastic thanks for sharing your story, sounds as though a shinin is a good bit of fun .
Cheers

DaDoc

Reaction score
Fantastic thanks for sharing your story, sounds as though a shinin is a good bit of fun .
Cheers

Mountain man lingo..If a thing "shines", that would be like saying something like "cool" or "awesome"..:cool:

Speaking of mountain men, someone I had the pleasure of meeting and jamming with was Josh Kirk, from the TV show "Mountain Men", who lives in the area..He had his baby buffalo with him, that he's bottle-feeding and hopes to train to ride someday..Sweet little critter, acts like a big puppy dog!

Interesting and super nice guy, and a darned good guitarist and singer to boot! :thumb:

Latest posts