Axe-fx 3 Is Here

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Dmann, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Fractal Audio has been blowing out the stock on the Axe-Fx II since last black Friday, and last night they announced the next flagship unit.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/iii/

Hardware wise Wow!. Tons more processing power. Software wise lots of major improvements that have been asked for for years.

My initial impression was "not really cool" as many people whom just bought the XL+ cause it was on sale (still $1800 though) asked directly if they should wait due to a III coming shortly and were told no, thrre is no III planned for thr forseeable future. I get it... they wanted to sell out the stock... but to me this is a shady way to do business.

The fact that a few members have now come clean about beta testing the III means it's been there for while already.

Anyways, intro price is $2500 and the waitlist is available.

Take a look, what do you think compared to everything else out there currently?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Interesting!

Not sure about the modeling side, but I've been a Fractal convert for effects for a couple years now. I haven't touched a pedal of any kind and it's been glorious. I knew I'd love it for time based effects, but when I A/B'd the BB-Pre block against the real thing and couldn't tell a difference in tone or feel I boxed up my entire pedal board and never looked back.

ricksconnected and wakjob like this.
  3. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

i dont think paying $1800 for the xl+ is getting stiffed vs $2600 for the III (plus of course the inevitable 6 month wait).......

4. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

You Fractal guys....in your opinion at lower gain do the amps have the same feel and touch sensitivity as our tube amps? This seems to be the thing they cannot nail down...at least not yet. If and when they do, I can see myself going that route. But so far, they don’t feel the same. At least not to me.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  5. SonVolt

I'm not using their modeling technology, so I can't speak to that. If I were to guess, "in the room" probably not - but recorded tone? Hell yes. For in the room tone the Kemper guys on this forum are saying it absolutely does nail the same feel and touch sensitivity. Paging @flyinguitars and @chiliphil1

6. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

There are significant improvements. This version is evidence of digital guitar surpassing traditional rigs. It really is a great value if you understand how to use it.

I still will stick with Kemper because I am sold on its performance and have amps that are still better than anything sold, but this version from Fractal will make its mark and do well.

BTW, Kemper has a significant upgrade in the works also, it will not require new hardware. Been using Kemper since 2013.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  7. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Yea, while I love the Axe-Fx II, (I have a mark II from 2013) it's biggest failing is it's constant updates to the modeling requiring rebuilding your presets if you use the modeling exclusively and want to also have the additional features in the updates. I think this is why a lot of guys only use it for effects, which is what I will be doing when I get a Kemper.

8. SonVolt

Are the Kemper's effects inferior?

9. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Have you tried one through a power amp into a 4x12?

10. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say inferior, as it all depends on your needs and more importantly wants.

It's been a while since I've looked but I didn't hear anything bad with the Kemper effects, in fact I think they sound great, however The axe gives you way more options on real time control and modifiers available, and is more suited to effect whores or as a dedicated effects unit or post processor for studio applications (re-amp, etc).

I think the Axe also can have a lot more going on at once compared to Kemper. Now with the III it is nearly triple the DSP power so lots more overhead and highest quality.

11. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

No, that’s why I am asking opinions of those who have.

saxon68 likes this.
  12. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Lots of pros touring with them now. I’ve seen guys replace 2 racks with one unit and a spare, running to FOH and another line to a power amp and cab, or just to in ear monitors and no amps.

I’ve got a 5150 50 watt and I love it, but I’m certainly tempted to grab an Ax8 or whatever they make next and run it to a power amp and cab. Just so dam easy to get so many different sounds.

This guy has me sold:

At about 4:35 he uses a BE100 patch that just gives me GAS, and the clean parts certainly sound glassy to me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  13. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

The most of their 24 IR´s were made from speaker Cabinets sitting in the Marshall Museum Germany.

14. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Kemper has an incredibly realistic feel and response.

On a side note, you guys who choose the axe for the effects are ridiculous...lol unless I’m missing something if you are really recording you would be using plug-ins or outboard gear on mix down....and live is just retarded to waste time with precise super high quality FX. All that shit gets lost and the sound guy will want to add his own delay and effects in the FOH. Get a great dry tone and a few good guitar related FX (like flanger, phase90, wah, etc...) sorted and go worry about playing..lol

Unless maybe you are playing shows with just solo guitar and no other instruments.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  15. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

or maybe we are doing a hell of a lot more than simply adding a delay to our dry sound and playing "guitar solo's"

disappointed in your opinion here man.

ricksconnected likes this.
  16. flyinguitars

Sorry I’m just being honest
    Not guitar solos...solo guitar as in you playing your guitar alone onstage in a performance. That’s really where I could only see the advantage of using such high quality FX and actually maybe being able to notice. You don’t record with fx and typically it sounds much better out front when you play dry unless you have the show worked out with your soundman and are running direct to FOH.

I think it’s totally cool and all but way overkill for 99% of players.

17. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment.

I'd rather be in the 1% of ridiculous overkill than be in the 99% of the exact same boring of the last 40 years.

:agreed:

Metroman and ricksconnected like this.
  18. SonVolt

How did this turn into an argument?

rick16v likes this.
  19. flyinguitars

Sorry, i didn’t mean to offend anyone or get into an argument. I think they are awesome. I don’t want to paint myself into a corner ...lol I guess i said it the wrong way.
    I’ve had this discussion offline locally and i guess it didn’t translate. No offense to you Dmann. A few guys who i know in my area are using AX. They are good players and 2 are real tone chasers/tweaked with 30 years of trying new amps and rigs probably every year or so. We used to play to same clubs back from mid 80s to mid 90s. We had our Marshall’s modded by the same guy here in our area and now I’m using kemper and these guys are using the AX.
    I was talking to them recently and they were telling me about the AX FX being far superior to kemper and just about anything else out there. So before a recent multiband gig, i saw them both play and they sounded just like they always did...lol. My one friend was using all kinds of different delays and flangers and it was lost.
    Then some kid got up and plugged into a little combo with no fx and smoked them.

That what i was thinking about when i came into this thread.

rick16v and SonVolt like this.
  20. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Yep, with pure cab you couldn’t tell the difference. It hits you in the chest like a Marshall, shakes the walls like a Mesa, punches like a fender, etc. Whichever model you’re on it responds exactly like that, the feel and in the room experience is exactly like the real thing. It’s really amazing.

JacksonCharvelAddict and SonVolt like this.