Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by BluesRocker, Nov 28, 2009.

1. BluesRocker

BluesRocker Well-Known Member

how is the sound of an Avatar 4x12 compared to a 1960?

2. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I have an Avatar Vintage 4x12. Dimension and weight wise, it is a little bigger than a Marshall 1960. I have 4 Celestion V30's in it. Compared side by side to a Marshall, I think it sounds better, but that is just my opinion. It sounds bigger to me.

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I have the smaller 412 and it sounds great but I would compare the bigger Avatar 412's to be fair.

I don't have one so I can't say.

4. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

I have a 2266 and was considering the Vintage Avatar cab (with greenbacks) until I found a deal on a 425A cab. Greenbacks are the speaker of choice with the VM. G12H30s are also very good if you want a little later break up but I think the standard greenies are best with the 50 watter. I think V30s might be a little too much with that amp. You will have little to no cone breakup with 60 watt speakers and V30s are brighter sounding speakers. There is a thread where someone recorded a bunch of cabs with a Vintage Modern. Search for it because they did a great job of showing how different each speaker sounds with that amp. The demo covers all the popular Celesion speakers.

5. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

6. Stormhenge

Stormhenge New Member

Livin' in the Southland, enjoying the SoCal vibes
    You decide -

as for size - the signature series is the exact same size as the 1960 BHW - same depth, same height and width

7. Sickriverlespaul

Sickriverlespaul Active Member

I personally put mattress foam over all open wood inside my cabs and seal every corner and edge with silicon caulking. I can tell right away the bass response sounds huge and much deeper than cabs without. I also put thick weather striping on the edge where the back board attatches to the cab to make it as air tight as possible. I love the way it sounds in all three cabs

8. tremojem

tremojem Member

I am struggling with a decision on speakers.

I have a 1960B Marshall cabinet.

I have a new Ceriatone 1968 Super Lead 100 Plexi head.

I am think about Greenbacks, Creambacks and even an X pattern of the two.

Can't decide. I want the classic great tone of the Plexi and the G12T-75s, are just not cutting it.

There are subtle differences with the Creambacks 65 or 75 M or H, can't remember.

And I heard one guy say that mixing speakers is not really favorable...something about cancellation with competing frequencies, which kinda makes sense.

I guess I will keep looking for some good comparisons before I pull the trigger.

Great thread here, though.

9. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-VM sounds best through it's purple VM cab-(the greenbacks in the VM cab are different than H or M greenbacks)-

-68 SL clone will sound best with a cab with G12-H/M greenbacks-

-this is a default speaker guide-(in either amp you got go with 55hz greenbacks or add 1 or 2 V30's in the bottom)-

-mixing speakers is a common option, it's not only an individual thing, it's done by amp manufacturers like BOGNER & FRIEDMAN.

10. tremojem

tremojem Member

Thanks SG-Guy.

11. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Did you swap out the original speakers in the Marshall cabinet or is the video mislabeled? I also think it's very difficult to do a comparison video when you're using one cabinet w/a mixture of speakers (the avatar), whereas the other does not have the same (the marshall). One last thing (and it's a bit nit-picky tbh), but I've never heard of Marshall tolex referred to as "Slate Blue" … while I believe it's technically an extraordinarily dark green, the appearance is pretty much black (depending on the light … it can look a little greenish at times), and is referred to as Black Levant rather than Blue Slate.

My personal opinion is that Avatar cabs are really ugly, so my interest pretty much begins / ends there. That said, if someone is buying based on price point, I can't really say I've ever heard anything bad about them, so they seem like a more affordable alternative that should suit someone very well. Still, I'd rather buy a used Marshall than a new Avatar.

12. RobLaQuinta

RobLaQuinta Active Member

I traded an Avatar slant 412 for my Marshall cabinet when Guitar Trader was still open in San Diego. It was one of their narrow cabinets covered with carpet and loaded with garden variety Eminence speakers. Avatar hasn't made slant 412 cabinets for a long time now. My Marshall had a broken handle and a stain on the front grille, so I got it for the Avatar and $150. It took about $50 in parts to get it re-sealed and now it works great.

The Marshall sounds MUCH better. That said, I have two B410 Neo Avatar cabinets for my bass rig, and they are amazing.

Someday, I'm going to take my 1960 apart and recover it with new tolex, grille cloth and maybe new piping and logo, too. The rivets are the only thing that concerns me about the project.

13. temporarychicken

temporarychicken Active Member

The second-hand market can be useful for 1960a cabs. I bought a couple in recent years.

The first was a scruffy but complete 15 year old 1960a with G12T-75 speakers. Sounds great and only cosmetic repairs were necessary (it was missing the Marshall logo)

The second was unloaded and very scruffy although had been treated to some new bluesbreaker cloth. I fitted this out with a set of Seventy-80s I had cluttering up the place and now it's become a hair metal holiday.

Used amps can be a right pain if you are unlucky and buy trouble, but used speaker cabs are simpler. Take your practice amp and check the cab out by playing. Just make sure it sounds good and equal tone is coming from all four speakers.

14. Stormhenge

Stormhenge New Member

Livin' in the Southland, enjoying the SoCal vibes
    Here's some brown sound goodness through a pair of Avatar G212 Contemporary's. All the deets are in the video description.