Attenuators in 2021

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by phall, Mar 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. phall

phall New Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm looking to buy an attenuator soon and would appreciate some opinions. I'm an at-home player and my pricepoint is to not exceed about $600. Currently looking at the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X and the Suhr 07-RCL-0002 IR Box, both near the $600 max. A bit out of my price range is the Tone King Iron Man II at about $800. My amp is a JVM-410HJS paired to a 1960B 4x12. Yes, I know, far more amp than needed for a player such as I but I'm an incurable collector of some things. I do a bit of home recording and am trying to find tone (where the heck did that tone go? Can't find it anywhere!). Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and considered. And, thoughts regarding other higher and lower priced attenuators would certainly add to the discussion. I've read several other posts on attenuators from this forum, but not quite getting to specific comparisons.
    Thx,
    PMH

Old Punker, netlocal and SkyMonkey like this.
  2. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need an attenuator for that amp. If you do, it's the wrong amp for you my man.

matttornado and netlocal like this.
  3. tallcoolone

Tone is out there!

4. phall

I’ve wondered about exactly that. Is that due to having a master volume setup or do you mean due to this amp’s variety of settings?

5. tallcoolone

Well, it's not just a master volume amp. There are lots of master volume amps that sound like shit at low volumes but shine when breathing. The JVM isn't one of them IME. I haven't owned the JS but I used the orig 100w head for about a year. I'm a fan, esp if that JVM voice suits you. That amp has a billion cool tones in it. Amd it really does sound great at lower volumes, I'm thinking it may be just too much amp for you? It was for me, and I practice fairly loud and play out every few weeks in normal times. It's 100 freakin watts lol

If you are playing strictly at home for the time being anyway IMO you should get a rig that sounds the best in that scenario. An attenutator--well the ones you mentioned anyway--won't enhance your experience with the JVM one bit. Tough to recommend anything without knowing your tastes tho--what you into?

netlocal likes this.
  6. tallcoolone

Now if you are looking to rout your signal through IR's and studio monitors I still believe the JVM is the wrong amp but not the Two Notes. That's a great piece of kit.

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Make one of @JohnH 's boxes...

8. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Aracom DAG, used.

9. tallcoolone

Do you guys think these will really make his JVM sound better?

10. jimmyjames

At home, yes (seeing that he's set on using it this way).

netlocal likes this.
  11. tallcoolone

I played a JVM exclusively for a year. IMO/IME an attenuator is a complete waste of money, unless you are talking about needing to reamp or add a loop, and the JVM has two of those.

12. jimmyjames

I acknowledge your experience here, just giving him an example of what he asked for.

13. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

There's one thing an attenuator might do on a big 100w amp like a JVM, even if its tones dont rely on the power stage much. if you have to play quietly, the inherent hiss and hum can start to be annoying, and the power stage is almost idling. A bit of attenuation can squash those down, and let you turn up the master to get it out of first gear and breathing more freely.

14. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I've not played a JVM, but I have yet to meet a master volume amp whose response isn't improved by being able to open the master up a bit. You can get a Rivera Rockcrusher for $550 from Sweetwater. It's a well-made attenuator that would work great in your application.

netlocal and Crikey like this.
  15. tallcoolone

Doesn’t the JS have a built in noise gate?

16. tallcoolone

Wow. I have. Dozens of them—mostly modern master volume amps like the JVM.

17. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Certain mv amps definitely sound much better at low volume using an attenuator , and some don’t , it’s as simple as that .

Old Punker, netlocal, yafal and 2 others like this.
  18. phall

Thanks much for the advice! I'll definitely look again at my amp/cab setup.

I have a Classic 5 as well. Haven't played that in a while so don't know about using it for home recording. I like to play pieces like "Stairway ...", "Comfortably...", "16-Tons", "Burning ... Midnight Lamp", "Blue on Black", a bit of basic 12-bar blues, and my own few compositions.

As to attenuators, I've pretty sure some posts have included players with a JVM410 amp. I'll check again. My main thing to fix is just playing (and recording!) at rather low volume with this equipment and get tone that feels right. And yes, Tallcoolone is absolutely right that the amp is probably overkill way for my application - but I can't bring myself to let go of it. In any case, the DI/IR bit may be enough to push me on this even if the attenuator sections go unused - items that helped prompt me to ask about some comparisons.

19. tallcoolone

The Captor would be great going straight to DAW for recording or straight to a mixer -> studio monitors for late night/quiet playing through the IR of your choice. Honestly I didn’t even realize it was also a load box as well. Pretty cool tool, even if you don’t use the attenuator as you say.

Old Punker likes this.
  20. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

do you need to run IRs in a standalone mode or any attenuator with a line out would be useful?