At how loud do you practice at home?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Carlos G, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Carlos G

Carlos G Member

Do you know at how many db are you playing when practicing at home? How does that work for you? Any discomfort? I usually practice several hours a day (plus some headphones time) and started getting some pain in my ears. I measured the db at witch I usually practice and found out they measured around 95 to 100 db. Not too much to my liking but I have been cutting volume since then to around 85 db and pain has started going away. Can you share your experience on this issue?

2. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I record at band level, but have a ISO closet. Also play quite a bit all day

Lately been down around 85 db for practice, the 2205 surprised me & kept the goods pretty decent at that level.

Started catching the level thing & do appreciate the hearing.

3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

You play at that dB because you like the tone you are getting at that volume, correct?

tce63, Carlos G, Old Punker and 2 others like this.
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

95 - 100 db is ridiculously loud!!! I play at home much lower, why, I thought I had tinnitus once and it scared the shit out of me!! It went away and I learned my lesson. Lower the volume before its too late buddy!!

tce63, Trelwheen, Carlos G and 7 others like this.
  5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

No louder than I can sing .......

Trelwheen, CraigP, Carlos G and 10 others like this.
  6. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Typically my practices are with something like a headphone amp, my DSL1, my Fender Blues Jr somewhat tamed, attenuated Class 5, or a small solid state amp. Really, for home practice the DSL1, MG10, or Fender Frontman 10 area all great little practice amps.

However...

Occasionally when it is really nice outside I like to step out for a few minutes and remind the neighbors what a Superbass sounds like.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Usually about good Hi-Fi volume. I use a 30 watt amp, 10" speaker open cabinet and play along to backing tracks on a 10 watt stereo amp.. On the rare occasion that I'm playing a gig requiring big sound, I pull out my Crate tube amp and 212 cab and crank it up a bit to get used to the dynamics. My neighbors haven't called the cops yet. I never play so loud that it hurts.

8. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

The TV is usually louder than my at home practice volume.

In this example you can hear me strumming acoustically and stepping on the controller buttons.

Carlos G, Sustainium, Deftone and 4 others like this.
  9. Brek

Brek Member

CraigP, Carlos G, Old Punker and 2 others like this.
  10. Rusty Strings

Rusty Strings Active Member

I wish :D, when I play louder than 90db, my head and my ears start to ache. But I like the sound and feel when playing loud, but it happens scarcely and for rather short time, like 10, 20 minutes. When not alone at home (most of the time), I make sure my volume of distorted sound doesn't spike above 85db, but mostly it is around 80-82db and that is the bare loudness I can still enjoy. It has to be louder than my acoustic strumming which starts to be audible when playing below 78db. But my practice room is small and I stand 5 feet away from the speakers.
    :jam::headbanger:

11. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Haven't measured dB, usually just loud enough to give the sound some beef :) Play for an hour or so each time, maybe a few sessions on weekends. Sometimes have ringing ears for a few minutes after, nothing more serious.

12. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Right on :)
    What I am gathering from @Carlos G is similar to what a loudness button is on a vintage hifi receiver. He wants to keep his tone that he gets when playing loud, perceived without any or little loss, while playing at lower volume levels.
    You do not want to sacrifice definition, feel, and articulation; as lot of things can take a hit, but it can be compensated in a way.
    Perhaps giving yourself an advantage by turning up the Bass and placing the combo on the floor. Or taking the cab off its casters to have it coupled with the floor, giving you back some of those lost frequencies.

13. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

LOAD down your amp's signal, crank your amp to the sweet spot, and re-amp through a separate power amp and adjust the listening level via the volume controls on the power amp.

Voila!! Easy, Simple, Done. Enjoy
    :cheers:

14. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

I dont know what db buts its 5 on the master of a 2203x

Carlos G and Rusty Strings like this.
  15. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

loud, my 2204 pushes 100db on 3 lol.

16. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

I have a few things that lower my volume, zener clipper, 50 watt, master volume resistor, lower b+
    Still its prolly a hundred db

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Most of the time I am just over the TV volume in my garage, but sometimes I like to get a little out of control and give my neighbors some live music, that’s would be at 1983 gig volume 3-4 on the 50 watt Origins, all my recent clips I have posted are at 2 on the Dsl40c, not bothering anyone, or inside the house, don’t know exactly what decibels I am at but it is working out great for me.
    Cheers

18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a free app on my iPhone called Decibel X. It works great and I have used it at concerts before the chinese virus hit and it would be up to 100 db but thank GOD I had ear plugs in. Its one thing to lose a bit of hearing but its another thing to get Tinnitus...read up on it. There is no cure and it can actually drive people insane. You dont want to mess with that!

19. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

and the day his ISO finally came out of the closet.......:rolleyes:

20. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

damn right. a friend has it. the things hes told me bro. ya dont fugg with Tinnitus
    and ya dont mess around with Jim. period.