Artists *without* Marshalls

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by PelliX, Oct 11, 2021.

1. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yup, that's a strategy that has existed as long as there's been marketing..But I don't think that was the case with Dumbles, from what I've gathered it seems the owner just didn't want to build any more of them for some reason that had nothing to do with money (although all too often money IS the bottom line, no matter that the "official" reason might be).

If memory serves he also covered the circuitry with some kind of glop so's nobody could copy it, although I don't know what the hell one was supposed to do if the amp needed servicing! He sounded like a bit of a mad scientist.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    ricksdisconnected likes this.
  2. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I would have been very surprised if Iommi had never used a Marshall..I never got the Laney thing myself, those amps never did it for me..:shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Mesa's (although terrific sounding amps!) are over engineered, often. The component density and complexity imply a lower MTBF than many a simpler circuit. Certainly ones like Fender and Marshall produce (d). If you look at some of the service bulletins that Mesa provide (and it's nice that they do!), you'll see things like "bend resistor R123 away from component XYZ" and so on because they're cramped in a tight space. Troubleshooting them can be a right pain, and most techs will agree. If you get a conductive board in a Mesa you're going to be a good few hours down the line before you figure it out. I think of them more like a nice pair of B&W speakers - sublime, lovely to have at home. Not the kind of kit you sling in the back of a van on a regular basis.

Mitchell Pearrow and DaDoc like this.
  4. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

That's always been my impression of them as well.

I've never been into the "amps that do it all" school of thought..What I've always liked about Marshalls is although they basically only do one thing, they do it VERY WELL! Same with Fenders, you can't beat them for clean tones and reverb.

There was a guy I played in several bands with who, although he was into heavy rock and even metal, has never owned a Marshall..I remember once when he actually went out to score a Marshall but came home with a freakin' Crate! When I ragged him about it he said he wanted an amp that he didn't have to turn up to 10 or have to use a pedal with..:facepalm:

I suspect there may have been a money factor in there as well, since he got that Crate for less $$ than he would have had to pay for a Marshall, and although he had the dinero he was a real tightwad! :lol:

5. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Until you plug in to a VOX... :rofl: Nah, I agree, and I'd love a nice Fender to add to the collection but I went for the VOX 'first'. Takes care of my cleans.

Mitchell Pearrow and DaDoc like this.
  6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I would love to have an old AC-15 or AC-30.

PelliX likes this.
  7. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone in rock has used a Marshall at some point, but there are a bunch of players who never used them except under special circumstances (rentals, spot gigs, etc)

Iommi used Mesas for a bit in the 80s (check out the Hot Licks videos or whatever) I don't think he's ever done the Marshall thing- maybe in the studio-

Ted Nugent, as mentioned has always been a Fender guy, and when he did go high gain in the 1990s he used Peavey 5150s. If you see Marshalls on the backline in the old days that was Derek St. Holmes or Charlie Huhn's rigs.

Mitchell Pearrow and PelliX like this.
  8. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Also, Ronnie Montrose. Only time I've ever seen him with a Marshall was on an old TV show from the 70s where everybody had to plug into a Marshall- like everyone using Orange amps on BeatClub.

Otherwise Ronnie used Fenders of various types (combos, usually) and I've seen a pic of some Lab Series (Gibson) amps as well.

Mitchell Pearrow and PelliX like this.
  9. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

oh im not talking about old man dumble himself im talking about the masses every since.

10. groovenev

groovenev Member

Yeah I just watched a bit on Rig Rundown Premier Gtr .. on Clapton, he uses Two Fender Style 57 Bassman hand built by Dumble so said his tech...

11. Mike J

Mike J Member

Totally different genre, but I didn't notice anyone mention BB King's Lab Series L5. Talk about tone from a solid state amp.

Lo-Tek likes this.
  12. groovenev

groovenev Member

TheToneDig and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

groovenev likes this.
  14. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

A Marshall rep walked into thr Reheasrsals for Roget Waters Clapton played for him for an album and tour with some gear and he ended up using two 2204 full stacks and the Music Mans went in a dark corner never to return. This was his rig through his next album and tour - which I saw - Behind The Sun. Thn when Knopfler joined him for his next tour he loved Mark's Soldanos so much he Got the same rig, keeping the Marshall cabs.

TheToneDig likes this.
  15. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

"Playing a Marshall is like wrestling with a gorilla." - Santana.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now there is a guy who is dependent somewhat on a not exactly flooded market of them Mark 1s.

16. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Of course country music seems largely Fender.
    Here's a video of Kenny Vaughan talking about playing on Letterman and how shocked the house band was that Marty and his band had no pedals. Just straight into a couple little Fenders. A little long but it's pretty interesting interview.

And this is the actual performance.

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

18. renips

renips Well-Known Member

I saw Sabbath in early 90’s and Geezer and Iommi had Marshall backline. Really cool.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

The last time I seen them was on the Never say die tour with Boston. But I have learned something with this thread.
    Cheers