Are You In A Band Or A Hired Gun?

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by axe4me, Jul 3, 2020.

1. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Almost all of my bands ended ugly.

kinleyd likes this.
  2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

In a band, 12 years and counting. We had a few line-up changes, but the core basis (lead singer, keyboard player and me) has remained the same. Current line-up has been stable for over 2 years, and should remain so for a while.
    Went through hundreds of gigs with the guys. We transitioned from a bar band to a full-fledged tribute band, took on two killer (and cute and fun) backup singers, and are getting nicer and nicer gigs, better paychecks, and a nice following.
    Can't complain.

3. kinleyd

kinleyd Well-Known Member

Wow, that's fantastic!

Sustainium and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Neither...

5. kinleyd

Ah, sorry to hear that, but soldier on. Me, I hope to play in a band someday. Currently I don't dare inflict myself even on family and friends! But someday...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. WellBurnTheSky

Work hard and you'll get there. And finding the right people (plus managing to get along with them -relational skills are super important) too.

Lots of hard work, lots of dedication, and belief in what we do. And always striving to do better. And we're not "big", just able to make decent money, which is a lot already.
    But yeah, I feel lucky. Nothing like stepping onstage with your band of brothers, behind a few kilowatts of PA, under a nice lighting rig, and in front of a few hundreds people (best we've done so far is a few thousands), and make the Marshalls ROAR. Honestly at times it's better than sex.

7. kinleyd

@WellBurnTheSky, it all sounds so wonderful. Celebrate your hard work, count your blessings, and enjoy is what I say!

8. WellBurnTheSky

You can get there too. I honestly believe anyone can, IF you work hard enough towards your goals.
    Then there's the truly talented (such as AlvisX here on the MF, who is Alvin Youngblood Hart, bluesman extraordinaire), but that's another dimension already.

Mitchell Pearrow and kinleyd like this.
  9. kinleyd

Thanks for the encouragement and I'm a-working on it! Been playing the guitar for about 6 years now.
    Must confess that I am unfortunately not a gifted guitarist and progress has been slow, extremely slow. But I am blessed with extreme determination, and with putting in 3 - 5 hours a day progress is slowly coming. So I'm slogging and seeing some light at the end of this tunnel. :)

10. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Both. 'was' being the keyword, caused by the pandemic.
    Band: Disbanded; two guys are out. Myself and one other decided to keep and pay their share for the rehearsal space. Needed not only to practice, but to run MESA Boogie 400w Bass rigs & Marshall Plexi's without issue. Not as impressive, but moved in my spare Ludwig drum kit for good measure.
    Gun: As a GIT grad, I get hired by Blues artists to sit it on their set.

edit: We can add COVID-19 as a music killer!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  11. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I had 4 diffent bands. Heavy, acoustic, blues and Trash metal style. Current it's a rock band. I have good relation with all ex members. Exept one idiot.

12. kinleyd

There's always that one idiot. :rolleyes:

Mitchell Pearrow and marshalltsl like this.
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Being on the same page helps.

Honesty helps more.

14. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Been in a band since 2012. Had some lineup changes and went from a 5 piece to a 3 piece, but the three of us that are in it now are three of the "original" members of the group.

15. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

Neither. I just left my top 40'ish cover band again recently. No offense and in my personal opinion, there is nothing in this world more dead and passe than a band. I hope I never have to do it again.

:coffee:

16. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

What are the criteria for it to be a "band"?

Do 4 guys in a room playing original songs in front of nobody at all count? Or does a band have to perform? What is the difference between a band and a jam group? What if there's no performance but there is recording? What if neither?

Hired gun? Absolutely not, I have never been paid to play a single note...

Band? I dunno, depends on what band means I guess. Maybe?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

I'm in 3 at the moment. Played in Spain and Paraguay so far (besides Argentina) in one of the bands which I've been in for a little over 10 years. I play rhythm and slide guitar.
    We released 4 studio albums and 1 live album. This band is called 42 Decibel.
    AC DC type rock n roll.

And in the other 2 bands I'm playing drums. We haven't uploaded any stuff yet, still working on the material. They're called Per Umbram, and the other Mazonico.
    These are more metal-ish

18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Active Member

I was out of bands for almost 20 years. Last year some pieces fell into place where four of us were doing a 90s rock band, worked out great and sounded good but the lead singer moved 1000 miles away. Only did 4 gigs because I'd also broke my ankle and wrist. Too bad because it was lean and mean operation and we drew well.

In November I put my name out on a band site in search of a singer. Old friends that I'd done one-off stuff with were surprised I was back in a band mood and asked me to join their mostly 80's AOR variety band. They pay good and do about 12 corporate and festival dates per year so I'm with them now. They've been around for 15-20 years and have well established song list. I have no control of where we play or what songs play, I just show up. That's fine. So, I'm a band member without much say or responsibility which I've never done before. Quasi-side hired gun, but not quite. It's fine.
    The 90s band was a lot of my direction for promotion & getting gigs so this is the opposite. Some gigs are actually going to happen in Aug - Oct. It's eight guys: drum, bass, keys, two guitarists (I'm lead), two horns & lead vocal. Seems like the band has some energy again, I hear they had a crappy lead guitarist situations for a few years.

19. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

At this time, I'm in between situations.

With my health issues, I can't make a commitment.

I was a hired gun.

Send me the set list and keys, I'm in provided the $'s were acceptable.

One thing I detest is playing a gig and having some milksops stand in front of me with their arms crossed judging me.

I don't want to show them how play SRV or be a guitar instructor.

I've done the "house band" thing 40 years ago and I don't want to relive the organ grinder monkey thing.

You pay.............I play.

I'll do a gig and leave.

A band situation is nice but it gets old quick.

20. Australian

Australian Green Beret___TRIPLE PLUTONIUM SUPPORTING MEMBER VIP Member

But didn't the band start old too? How old are you? :hmm:

Sustainium likes this.