>

Are You A Left Lane Driver?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by crossroadsnyc, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Ianrob

Ianrob New Member

I do it 'cos I live in the UK ! :)

2. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

HW 1 AB/BC border. For life. :mad:

Holme, mirrorman and MarshallDog like this.
  3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

4. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ______. sṓzō .______ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I just re-read the OP title. Is this really more of a question about teh bastermations? If so, I can attest, I'm a USA driver.

5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I saw a bumper sticker on a vehicle a few weeks ago that said “If I pass you on the right, you are an idiot”! Nice!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Marshall Stack and crossroadsnyc like this.
  7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Yes but I drive fast enough to justify it. I pick the lane that's running at the speed I want to go at.

Being in Florida, this is a very sensible way to drive. Road Rage Capital of the World!

8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I know what you are saying but his sticker was meant for those brain dead Phucks who cruise below or at normal speeds in the left hand lane backing up traffic. For me, I usually do 10-15 mph over the limit and will get over to the right to let others go by at a higher speed plus they smoke out the Cops for me lol!!

9. crossroadsnyc

I'm in Florida right now (have spent a lot of time here over the years since I was a kid, and have always considered it a home away from home) ... not the best drivers in the world, but not the worst either. My angry face pertains to the drivers we experienced in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. Seriously, what in the AF is it w/southerners camping out in the left lane?

10. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

When you get old and senile and retire, please don't retire in Florida! There are enough bad drivers here already!

The AARP is a powerful organization. If not for them, states WOULD be allowed to start testing drivers more often as they start approaching old age.

I'm thinking that everybody should be required to take a driver's test every 10 years until age 50. Then every 5 years until 70. Then every 3 years until 80. And then every two years after that, for life.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

since this one's come back from the dead...

Just want to say how much I love the left lane... :)...

If I'm driving any distance, I'll go right to it... & stay there...

The law, in CA, states that, if you're in a lane like that, that if you are blocking/impeding 3 vehicles behind you, you must pull over when safe.

I tend to drive a bit faster than traffic in the slower lanes, so, I'm not an impeder. I don't necessarily pull over for every car behind me, but, if there's a long line of cars in the lane next to me, blocking someone from passing, I'll take the 1st break in the next lane's traffic & let them pass, then get back over when safe. If there's 1 car, then I'll just get back over. If there's 3+, then I should have let them all pass anyway...

There's certain courtesy & also common sense.

When I'm in the left lane, & generally drive & cruise at an uptempo speed. I stay put & do not pass, or race. I just drive at a good speed & motor on w/o much vehicular interaction.

I've driven 100 miles+ in the left lane, where I never passed anyone & no one passed me. (in my lane - of course I'm passing everyone on the right - but not ferociously)

Just sailing on.

12. crossroadsnyc

Yeah, that's a tough one ... it's hard to accept the fact that you shouldn't be driving anymore, you know? My Dad has been going through that for the last few years, and while he hasn't really driven in the last couple of years, it's just now that he's finally admitted he's not getting behind the wheel anymore. He's been flirting w/the idea of driving, but he knows it's time. It's really very sad to me. Nevertheless, I totally agree w/you ... very dangerous!

13. crossroadsnyc

I'm living it right now, so I couldn't help but bring it back. Friday, Saturday, and a about half of today were very frustrating.

14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

It was hard to convince my Dad that he needed to give it up...

He still thought he was capable, but he really wasn't. The last time or 2 I drove w/ him was pretty scary. He had friends call me up, to tell me I had to come over & take the keys away. I lived 1½ hour drive away, but I did it...

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  15. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    Well this was a nice blast from the past.

16. Marshall Arts

Marshall Arts Active Member

I rarely get pissed off. But things that can irritate me: - People entering the highway at 50kph in a 110 zone.
    - People who's waiting for a window in oncoming traffic to turn left without leaving room for cars behind to pass them.
    - Extremely slow people suddenly speeding up a great deal while you're trying to overtake them. Like their pride is on the line. Screwing up your calculation, prolonging your time, risk and distance spent in the oncoming lane. No, I don't like to camp here. Stay in your speed.
    - People in front of me who nervously brakes hard upon passing by a "scary" semi in the opposite lane. Relax, will you?? They're not coming to get you! I don't trust them and I keep my distance.

Edit: Oh yeah. If I'm a left lane driver. Well, it depends on the situation. Not if I'm in anybodys way.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  17. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

explain.
    i remember this thread lol.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  18. crossroadsnyc

Post #253

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  19. Townsendspecial

Townsendspecial Well-Known Member

I'm a left lane guy, but that's because I drive faster than everyone else. If a suicidal maniac tails me, I'll pull over and let him flush out the cops, but it's not very often. Any slower than 80-85 and I feel like I'm crawling.

20. crossroadsnyc

As long as you're not holding up traffic, I see no problem. Someone tailgating you at 85? Yeah, that's pretty dumb. I typically see that happen w/out of state drivers (regardless of which state I'm in).