>

Are You A Left Lane Driver?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by crossroadsnyc, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Then you had room to yield.

Frodebro and Ghostman like this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That is a true logical statement...

3. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

On long trips since it's safer when idiots can only hit you from one side. But I usually go slightly faster than the flow and always give way if someone catches up behind.

Here people do 75 - 80 mph in the slow lane, so the traffic is pretty fast until someone has an accident or a motorcycle cop decides to have lunch just off of the freeway.

The biggest problem here compared to back home in the UK is the lack of lane discipline, so people pass wherever there is space.

I love having 2 seater on trips to the bay area, means you can use the carpool lane so long as someone is in the passenger seat.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  4. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
    Um no You are not there and dont know the cercumstances. but they are going like 100+ in a 70 and the second there is the slightes gap they dont slow down they blast around me in the right lane. Weaving around every one, That is the norm for my area . If i tried to get over i would be rearened by a vehicle going 100+ and be dead. Also a lot of time its so congested that it takes miles to find a spot to move over unless you slow down 20mph and getting your windshield broke

5. MarshallDog

Oh yeah, got ya!! I have had the same thing happen to me in the past. They dont even give you enough time to get over, ass wipes!! 100 mph a bit fast I would say for sure and putting other peoples lives at risk. If they want to hurt/kill themselves, fine but dont put others at risk. Where is there a cop when you need one...seriously!!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. MarshallDog

A couple months ago me and my wife were driving on the state highway here on a Saturday late morning. The weather was nice no rain, snow, etc. We are cruising along at 75 mph in a 65 mph zone and theres no one in front of me for a ways and Im cruising a long in the right hand lane. Of course I have my radar, laser, PhotoCop detecter on and its silent. Two young piss pots go flying by in the left lane Im guessing 85 because they went by rather quickly. One in some SUV and the other in a sedan. So they are now maybe 1/2 mile ahead of me and I just happen to look in my drivers rear view mirror and I see a state boy hauling ass past me w/o his lights on and hes on a mission. He flies up behind these two dinks, lights go on and I see the sedan pull over and the trooper continues on and then I see the SUV pull over. It was great to see that happen with my own eyes. And yes, as I passed the dink in the sedan I hit the horn smiled and waved...based on the look on his face, he was not a happy camper...priceless!

Antmax and tone seaker like this.
  7. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I'm thinking there's a few scenario's that come to mind with regards to driving in the left lane.
    1. You're cruising in the Left lane in normal traffic, faster than the lanes to your right. There's ample room ahead of you, so you can hit the cruise control, and room behind you, so you can see in your rear view, anyone approaching. If you see someone overtaking you, most likely they are going only slightly faster than you, giving ample time to move over. If they are cruising at an extreme rate of speed, to the point where you don't have time to react, we really don't care if we are impeding their travel, as they are already traveling in an unsafe manner.
    2. You're cruising in the Left lane in normal traffic, faster than the lanes to your right. It's congested, and moving over takes time to do so, but at least you can at times. No chance for cruise control, because it's congested but moving at posted or slightly above, speed limit. These types of situations, the car behind you overtaking you, isn't going to have room to be traveling at extreme speeds, so it stands to reason that you would have the opportunity to move over when it's available, and the car behind would never attempt to pass on the right, because you have a brain and move over when you have room, unlike the guy behind you, who wouldn't have room to change lanes.
    3. You're in the left lane and it's bumper to bumper. It doesn't matter because no one is moving faster than the others. There's zero chance for anyone to be driving at a high rate of speed with regards to the other cars.

The problem around my area, is that drivers don't give a shit about the lanes around them. It's very common for the Right lanes of traffic to be slowed considerably, or even stopped because of on/off ramps to the interstate, or interstate junctions. I have more of an issue when someone is driving in one lane at say, 70, and the lane next to them is at 35 because of congestion or the on/off ramp issues we see all the time. The 70mph driver is an asshole. Regardless of posted speed limits.

8. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Ummm, doesn't matter. Biddlin knows everything. But don't take my word for it...just ask him.

Far Rider and Ghostman like this.
  9. tone seaker

just to clarify my position of driving in the left lane with cruise on. Im talking two lane highways where its really hard to get over. on a three lane sure I will get over to the middle or drive in the middle lane

10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I was pulled over for going 53 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, for going too slow & "impeding traffic", even though, it was in an interchange area, where traffic normally slows... In the slow lane...

SoCal traffic is like no other traffic. Like my meme points out, no matter how many lanes are there, they'll all be full. Then it's people who pass on the shoulders (on both sides) that are the idiots.

Generally, the 1st lane is the on/off lane, where there will be a lot of mayhem. Lane 2 is for big rigs passing (they are supposed to stay in lane 1). This lane has the 2nd most mayhem. Lane 3, is supposed to be the cruising lane, where you're out of all the interactions of lanes 1 & 2 & lane 4 (usually the left lane) is the fast lane.

State laws say that slower vehicles should pull over to the right. It also says that you aren't to pass over 10 MPH faster, than the lane you are passing. There used to be a min speed limit, but I haven't seen one posted in decades (there should be).

I remember, back, when I was a route driver, I was going 85 MPH, on the 118 through Simi Valley & all the sudden I hear a noise. It was 2 CHP Motorcycle cops talking to each other on their loudspeakers whizzing right passed me on the right.

The biggest problem we have here, are people who do not know how to merge, aren't courteous & people who think it's a race course that bob & weave through traffic, thinking that, they can go 85 MPH while all 3 million other cars are going 55-60 MPH...

Then they blame everyone else for their erratic driving, when they end up belly up, smashed up & on their way to the hospital. Then it turns the freeway into a parking lot for 3 hours, affecting 100,000+ drivers...

MarshallDog and Vinsanitizer like this.
  11. Ghostman

The thing that freaks me out about Cali driving, is the Motorcycles lane splitting.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

No, but I know about you.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Here's a sneaky little trick I use when I find myself in that situation: When I see the car coming up behind me (yes, I pay attention to what is going on all around me at all times), I use my blinker to signal my intention to move over to the right well before the overtaking vehicle is close enough to have an issue. See, this lets him or her know that I am aware that they're approaching, and that I am about to move over to let them pass me.

14. MarshallDog

You got to be shitting me Bro?! I may have ended up in jail for the first time in my life over that one...what a real first class prick, I surely hope you did not get a ticket for that????

15. tone seaker

If its out on the open road in a different state and there is room to get over i will as long as i can get back over. Near where i live Its so congested and a two lane highway. Me and 100's or more in the left lane going 79 in a 70 and the right lane jameed up also with people going under in the right lane if you even try to get over between cars the people in the right lane will close the gap and if you do get over you are stuck for 20 miles becuase no one will let you back over. Again WHY SHOULD I PUT AN EXTAR HOUR ON MY TRIP SO SOME JERK CAN GO 100 IN A 70. AGAIN YOU DONT KNOW THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE ROAD i DRIVE.

You gona pay for my broken winshield I get when I get over behind a truck to let you go by breaking the law massivly LOL

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

nope, sucky thing it was on a 1st date... I was w/ a girl who did theater, so, I went & watched the show & we were headed out, when I got pulled over. I didn't get a ticket, but, it threw us back ½ hour +/-, after a 10:30 end time of her musical...

I've also had the opposite, where I was speeding & had a CHP yell at me on his loudspeaker to "SLOW DOWN!"... :)...

MarshallDog likes this.
  17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I drive for a living.

I think many drivers get their licence in a Cracker Jack box.

MarshallDog and mcblink like this.
  18. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

In England EVERYONE drives in the left lane!

[​IMG]

It's the law!

:lol::lol::lol:

:bump:

19. Ghostman

HOLME!!!!

The Ozzk and Holme like this.
  20. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

Alright mate!

:cheers: