Are All The Professional Rock/metal Guitarists Ditching Their Marshall’s For Friedman’s All Wrong

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Ufoscorpion, May 6, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

what was the question?

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Is a Friedman wrong for Marshall owners?

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Does a Marshall owner feel wrong with a Friedman?

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Does Friedman feel wrong using Marshall?
    Did Marshall feel wrong using Fender?
    And so on.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    67Mopar likes this.
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

To me I think the Friedman amp's, (at least the ones I'v played / heard) are a better sounding amp. More of the punch I like. A lot of people "mod" their Marshall amp's in the 1st place. (Which is were Friedman, Splawn, and countless other's came from.) So even if they are using a "Marshall" amp, it really isn't a "Marshall" amp anymore, they changed the way it sounds. If you don't like the way it sounds, maybe they liked the plastic logo better than the amp? I'v never cared what name was on the amp, only what I could make it do.

John 14:6 likes this.
  6. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not true. Speaking for myself one of the reasons i chose Dave to mod my JMP was he keeps the integrity & base tone of the amp while "enhancing" the amp at the same time. Can't say that for most other modders especially Cameron.
    My amp is still very much a Marshall.
    Its hard for anyone to know what im talking about unless you've had it done yourself.

steveb63 likes this.
  7. texhex

texhex Well-Known Member

That amp is totally sick. Very nice dude.

steveb63 and charveldan like this.
  8. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Actually, no. Core character feel and tone comes from the transformers. If you install a set of Marshall transformers into a clone, you essentially are playing a Marshall. No Marshall iron - no Marshall tone. This is why (Bray, Cameron, Friedman, etc...) modified Marshall's always sound better than their home-brew clones. This is law!

steveb63 and Alter like this.
  9. charveldan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Brother its a keeper.
    Obeid Khan here in St Louis installed the Metro loop, Dave did everything else.

steveb63 likes this.
  10. charveldan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very true about the Transformers. Obeid Khan used Heyboers in his REASON AMPS and so does/did Friedman in his amps although that may have changed IDK.
    Heyboers to my ears catch that old school Dagnall/Marshall complex midrange thing.
    Many are worried if the Soldano 2.0 that will be made in the future will be worth the price due to DeYoung not making audio transformers anymore.

67Mopar likes this.
  11. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

This is truth. The iron makes a huge difference.

67Mopar likes this.
  12. 67Mopar

I didn't find the same with Heyboer iron. To my ears, Heyboer iron has a very "dry" sound, if that makes any sense? Friedman amps have a sort-of hybrid tone/feel thing going on; which isn't normally in the Heyboer camp. Weird! I like Friedman modified Marshall's. Friedman amps, not so much.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe my Splawn used Heyboer iron. I believe my CAE PT-100 used the same. The PT-100 had an awesome clean tone. Gain was very dry, attack/release was fast! Modern, is it? I sometimes wonder if this could be minimized via filtering; though my days of experimentation are over.

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Some mods like yours are great, you can switch back and forth so you never really loose your original sound. I'm referring to the mods that permanently done, like res. cut's, swaps etc.. This is the only Marshalls I like, simple old school amps. My Splawn was a very HOT Marshall sound, hot rodded Plexi, hot rodded 800, and super hot rodded 800 + it had a switch from old sound to new sound they did. (Punchier Marshall tones.) I had big hopes for my 410h but I was far from happy with it. A lot of people told me to mod it, in fact there were no less than 4 mod's I was told to "help" it. I ended up just selling it, a quick $1000 loss of course. It seems I like either modded or after market Marshalls such as Slawn or Friedman much better, but still have no reason to spend the money when I can get any sound I'm after now. Thank God my amp buying day's are over, I finally found the best for me and I'm sticking with it. (I would like to change my speakers out though.) Most of the guy's I play with have sold their Marshalls for Splawn's, they seem to be OK but the ones with old Marshalls sound better in some things.

67Mopar likes this.
  14. 67Mopar

Same here! Nothing else I need. Well, maybe... :)

I think we will all agree that Marshall, VOX, Ampeg, and Fender is the sound of rock. Marshall were used mostly for live work vs studio. Boogie's were primarily used in the studio. Joe Walsh and Don Felder used Fender tweed and Dumble for the the HC recordings. If you saw Eagles live in 1977, you would have noticed that both Joe and Don were sporting Boogie combos.

[​IMG]

15. charveldan

Yes thats true alot of amps that are modded depart from the base tone. And some are really hacked up frankly. I took about three years to decide on Mr. Friedman and he delivered. Obeid Khan & I are friends here in town, he's an Engineer with Crate/Ampeg/St Louis Music/ Reason Amplifier & MAGNATONE and owns Khan Audio. He is well known in the industry. Obeid has worked on my amps. When i was at Obeids house i saw some old Marshalls he was modding for Richard Fortus of GnR who also lives here in town. He does work with Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck & many others & plays a mean guitar himself.

wntbtw likes this.
  16. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

Charveldan you are right about the Transformers, I've always been a big fan of Marshall's and still own a few (Superlead, JCM800 & 1987x modified by Arrendondo, Cameron, Fortin). I also have a 2015 BE-100 that originally sounded really good but I felt I wanted more of the "Marshall Rawness" whereas it sounded a little to smooth, along with That Modified-Marshall tone but with Dave's Master-Volume, EFX-Loop, Channel-Switching & High-Gain and Dave's recommendation of Heyboer OT, Classic Tone PT & Mercury Choke for the particular mods, really sounds Great! I also wanted the Clean Channel to be more flexible Fender Twin/Deluxe to Vox and edge of breakup (when needed) that the amp wasn't capable of originally. I still and will always love Marshall but my BE-100 was specifically modified with all the intention from Vintage to modded HG-Marshall voiced, killer sounding & feel and never "fizz/fuzz" and metal, it was a great opportunity to work with Dave "right on the spot" to make changes and to have various reference and comparison.
    [​IMG]

John 14:6, MarshallDog, tce63 and 3 others like this.
  17. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Well-Known Member

I haven't read the rest of the thread, maybe others have but yes! I used to own a Friedman Runt 20 head and ran it through a Marshall 2061cx cab with the G12H30 speakers.

tce63 likes this.
  18. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

A big part of the marshal sound is the choke and filter caps. The voltage drop and power recovery gives it that Marshall surge in sound. You have to balance the gain and tone. Some mods get it right

tce63 likes this.
  19. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

Jake said he was perfectly happy with his EVH amps that he was using and Dave Friedman had been trying to get Jake to try a Friedman, but Jake did not have much interest in anything else. Dave sent Jake a Friedman Small Box and Jake gave in and tried the amp. It only took Jake a few minutes with the Small Box before he knew he was scrapping the EVH for the Friedman. Since then Jake and Dave started work on a Jake E. Lee model Friedman signature amp. The Small Box is a 50 watter and the Jake amp I believe is a 100 watt version with a few tweaks.

I have owned many Marshall amps over the years and bought a Friedman Small Box about five years ago when I sold my Marshall YJM100. I am still in love with the Small Box five years later. Zero GAS for anything else. Here is a cool interview with Jake on Dave Friedman's Tone Talk.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  20. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure Dave still uses custom made Heyboer transformers.