Anyone using the UA Ox Box with their Marshall head?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by 1956tvmodel, Jan 27, 2021.

1. 1956tvmodel

1956tvmodel Active Member

Been checking in to these Ox Boxes. Such a foreign concept but also intriguing somewhat, The ability to crank up your amp and have access to all kinds of cabinets miced up with all kinds of mics. I was pretty impressed with this clip.

Mr. Natural, dptone5 and StingRay85 like this.
  2. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

It seems to be a popular unit.

Its at the top end of the price range for attenuator type boxes. in my case I went for the Boss Waza TAE due to its expanded functionality. I have found it to be one of the most useful tools in my space and have used it without issues on DRRI, Orange AD30, R30 and the VM series. If you have amps without fx loops it may be worth considering on your part as providing a post gain fx loop for the DRRI and Orange amps is particularly useful to me

Guitarman1996 and harleytech like this.
  3. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

I have a Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander too and I love it ! It will never leave me... I want to get another one... Lol..

Mystic38 likes this.
  4. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Also looking for member thoughts on this unit. Currently use a THD for attenuation, and I have an amplifire AA3 for modeling/recording. But I think I am ready to give the amp into a load box, into IRs thing a try. I tried it years ago with a 2notes torpedo device, but back then , I don't realy think I fully understood the concept. I am thinking for recording a mix of an amp into a real speaker recorded with real microphone, mixed with that same amp ran through a load box and IRs will give me exactly what I want on a recording. Currently I achive this somewhat by recording a real amp, and a fully modeled tone and mix those two together. certainly works, but would like to get a little more pure.

5. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Great playing too!

Friend of mine is using my 2204 into Sound City build with this kind of Ox box. Still waiting for recorded clips.

6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

^ Sam Vilo has some playing skill for sure.

Nothing beats microphones though.

El Gringo likes this.
  7. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

Throwing it out there.... if anyone is interested in an ox box I’ve got a bud that’s selling one now for $925 shipped.

8. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I had the Ox. Nice unit, but I found that the multitude of options was maddening to me. Too much tweaking for my liking and I was never quite satisfied.

Then I bought a Suhr Reactive Load IR for my church. Did side by side recordings between the Ox and Suhr, and the Suhr IR’s sounded much closer to my real 1960BX. The 4x12 HiGain Greenbacks IR is awesome.

Plus, with the Suhr, you can buy 3rd party IR’s and load them into the unit. I bought some Celestion and Ownhammer IR’s. The Celestion Lynchback IR is phenomenal for recording.

The Suhr is a very solid unit, half the price of the Ox, and in my opinion, sounds more like a real cab, without all the tweaking.

My recordings are far more consistent now and I don’t have to record at ear splitting volumes in my basement. My family loves the unit too!!

Friends have come over with their Helix and Kemper units. Although the Kemper was better to my ears than the Helix, neither recorded as well as a Marshall head through the Suhr unit.

Please don’t get me wrong. The OX is a very solid unit. The Suhr sounds and works better for me and the price was right.

Hope this helps.

Back40, Justin Whitstine and tce63 like this.
  9. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

Similar to the OX, anyone have any experience with the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X?

10. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

I'm this close to ordering one. Looked at the Captor stuff too, but I'm already in the UAD ecosystem with my Apollo Twin Quad. I may pull the trigger tomorrow through Sweetwater, and more likely if they discount like they usually do with me. Not sure if UAD is taboo on discounts, but I suspect so.

11. Emtbreid

I’ve got a friend selling a used one if interested

edit-sorry, disregard he sold it

12. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

Those are great too. There's some good demos on YouTube of them.

13. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

I've got no need for the IRs but have been shopping for an attenuator, and the Captor seems too good to pass up considering the price and features

14. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

Ordered one that should be here Wednesday.

15. Whizzercone

Whizzercone New Member

JVM and OX. Awesome combo.

16. Emtbreid

Let us know how you like it. I’m considering a boss waza TAE just because it has an effects loop.

17. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

Certainly will do. It's out for delivery now, but I'm not sure how much time I'll get with it before this weekend. I'll chime in with the initial reactions though after I plug it in and see how it sounds through phones, and my Presonus Eris 8XT/Temblor 10 Sub combinations.

18. Emtbreid

Cool. As I’d posted above I have a friend that was selling one (he’s an attenuator freak) .... sold it on because he didn’t fully utilize the bells and whistles.. I’d considered it but decided against when I found out it had no effects loop. I love the 78 JMP I got but missing my loop, and I am hesitant to modify it.

19. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

So after a bit of frustration getting the WiFi working I got it registered and updated to firmware 1.2. I've been in IT for 30+ years, so I know my way around network configuration, but they could have made this part better. On to the tones. iPad, Mac apps all work fine on latest OS'.

I have to say that I'm highly impressed. This seems to be just what I needed/wanted/was missing in my environment and my use cases. I haven't played in bands or at band volumes for decades. I am getting back to being creating and writing again after being sober for 7 years now and starting to write new material. So I plugged the JVM into the Ox, and first tried just the attenuator function and it sounds great. At lower volumes, I miss having the bass boost switch that my Rockcrusher has to help thicken it up at lower volumes, but the step levels are nice and useable, and the tones are really good.

Now to the line outs into my monitors. Wow! I took the line outs into my monitor controller, and then into my Presonus 8XT's and Sub. I have the sub on a second pair of outs, so I can bring the sub in and out with the press of a button. I dialed up OD1 Orange with my usual settings selected rig 1, which is a 412 with greenbacks, a couple mics, and some room mics, and let rip. This is what I've been missing. I was surprised at how alive it sounded. The "Room" mics and ability to mix them in is the coolest part. It just add this life to the tones that I miss from being in the room at volume. The sound is like a professionally mic'd and polished sound I struggle to get with my Helix or Axe FX, etc., yet this was just easy. Very easy to tweak, but not so tweaky that there are a ton of menu dives, etc.. I'm happy I got it and now and am looking forward to this weekend to rearrange some things in my space, ditch my 212 for my 112 (just to have a connected cab), and will use the Ox into my monitors (or headphones) for everything going forward.

It's no wonder so many people like Thorn and other gear reviewers have this unit in their studios and use this for capturing amps. It just works. Yeah, a lot of money, but frankly, if I had bought it sooner I probably wouldn't have bought an attenuator or two, or a few of my physical cabs. I did consider the Two Notes Captor X, but then you are locked into whatever Ohm you need, or buying multiples if you want 8 and 16. The Ox does 4, 8, 16. I am already in the UAudio ecosystem anyway, in that I have an Apollo Twin Mkii Quad, and some of their plugins, so I expected quality.

I'll update further as I have more time to play.

Cheers.

MaskingApathy, dptone5 and Emtbreid like this.
  20. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Congrats!! Glad you like it. I do home recording too and I want to use my Marshalls. Having a unit like the Ox or Suhr makes recording fun and easy.