>

Anyone use a GT-100 with a JVM4?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by PowerTube44, Sep 16, 2021.

1. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

I recently got a JCM 2000 DSL 100, and before that I was using a Carvin X100B, both of which are 2-channel amps. Therefore, I can use the simple Amp Control jack on the GT-100 to set the channel for each patch (had to solder a custom cable jack for the Carvin).

Since the JVM410H (and C) is a 4-channel amp, I doubt that'll fly.

But there's MIDI....

So my question is, can the MIDI ports on the GT-100 switch between four channels? I'm not asking to switch between the MODES of each channel, because I would typically pick my "favorite" mode and leave it there, but can it handle 4-channel switching? And if so, where would I find the instructions?

2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

I used to switch the 3 channels on my 6101 with a GT-8.
    It would not switch modes, the 6101 would just accept a MIDI command for the same as what the 3 button footswitch would do.
    I could send a channel # command with any given preset on the GT-8.
    I don't have a JVM or a GT-100, but I'd bet the GT-100 can send more than the JVM will receive.
    Check the JVM MIDI instructions to see what commands it will accept.
    You can probably set a GT-100 preset to sent the channel switch command when you change to that preset.

PowerTube44 likes this.
  3. PowerTube44

Yeah, that's all I'm really after. It's unlikely that I would ever need to change the mode within a channel once my sounds are dialed in.

fitz288 likes this.
  4. Sapient

Sapient   Platinum Supporting Member

I don't think Marshall should have ever allowed changing of the modes with the FS. If people are familiar with this they'll know that it's potluck that the settings on the next mode will be ideal to the gain level and EQ+ settings for the channel is set at. It's actually seriously gey. Now, if gain level and EQ+ were recalled seperately per mode on the channel it would be great. This is what the H&K amps do and it's sweet.

In layman's terms mode switching is another way of saying you can go into the low, medium, or high gain levels of a channel (modes), by "rolling" the modes with the pedal. What you can't do is have the 'gain' knob be any different between them as you switch. This means that if you like the gain at 12 0'clock for channel 3/green, than you better like the gain at 12 o'clock for mode yellow and red mode, .......because switching "modes" still only shares the one 'gain' knob setting for the channel. Pure poop-froth if you ask me.

PowerTube44 likes this.
  5. PowerTube44

I guess a simple way to put it is that nothing adjusted with a physical knob can be changed by any electronic means. That wouldn't be a problem for me, though, because I could adjust the overall patch level (or individual pedal volumes) on the GT-100 to get the volume unity I want. So I don't really see this as an issue for me personally.

But I still haven't gotten a definitive answer as to whether the GT-100 can switch between four channels. I suspect that it can, but I would want to know for sure before getting another JVM410H.

6. fitz288

download the manual
    JVM410H - marshall.com

PowerTube44 likes this.
  7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

The JVM 4 series will switch anything on the front panel that is operated by a button (i.e. digital), but not a knob (i.e. analogue).
    So that includes Channel & Mode, Master Vol 1/2, Reverb, and FX Loop on/off.

When you have the amp set up how you want, you can take a snapshot of the buttons and assign it to the PC# of the patch the GT-100 is set to at the time.
    You can do this for as many patches as the GT-100 has.
    But if you change any knob positions, they will affect how the saved setup sounds.
    So you really need to have only a few patches for each JVM Channel, and make EQ adjustments with the GT-100 EQ module.
    Gain can be boosted with GT-100 OD modules if needed.

fitz288 and PowerTube44 like this.
  8. PowerTube44

I already have it. It's pretty extensive, but I guess I'm looking for someone who has actually done what I'm after.

fitz288 likes this.
  9. PowerTube44

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

10. Sapient

Sapient   Platinum Supporting Member

If the pedal is capable of sending midi information to the amp it's fine. There's no voodoo.

PowerTube44 likes this.
  11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Yes, but the channel change will most likely have to be programmed and saved as preset on your GT-100 to be recalled.

Yes, a channel change can be programmed and saved but it would most likely have to be saved as a preset on your GT-100. One downside of this approach is that you would have to use some of your GT100 footswitches (depending on how many different channels you intend on using).

I use a multi-effects system (Line6 Floor Pod Plus, or FPP for short) that has MIDI in/thru ports. I connect the multi-effects to my 410H via MIDI (yes, I'm also connecting the multi-effects into the 410H effects loop, but I'll skip that part for now).

When I connect my FPP to the 410H, I select all the features I want from the amp (e.g. OD1 orange mode + reverb off + effects loop off + Master Volume 1). Then, I put the 410H into MIDI program mode (press the 410H "FOOTSWITCH/MIDI PROGRAM" switch on the front of the amp) and save amp's current configuration to as a preset on my FPP's built-in footswitch (my Floor Pod Plus has built-in MIDI as well as built-in footswitches for banking up/down and to select individual presets within that bank). I also do the same things with other channels, but since I have a lot of banks (31) and four presets per bank, I've yet to run out of memory. Ofcourse, I can recall that particular channel (and any other features/configuration) as a preset.

This method takes some planing on my part because I need to think how I want to organize the banks and presets. For example, I sometimes arrange the banks and presets according to a song set list (this is where channel switching via saved/recall presets might be most effective). Lots of ways you can arrange your board and the amp configurations.

Another cool features with my FPP is that I can save all the banks and presets as a computer file that I can save, download, and upload anytime and it always synchronizes perfectly every time (I think the GT100 can do this, too, because it has a USB port).

Read the JVM manual as well as the GT100 manual.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  12. MonstersOfTheMidway

@PowerTube44 :
    don't forget that you can also use the JVM footswitch with your GT100 without any compatibility issues.

I sometimes use my Floor Pod Plus at the same time as the JVM footswitch for some special switching options.

The JVM footswitch great because it can operate any of three modes: switch store mode, preset mode, or a combination of both modes at the same time.

I sometimes use the FPP to recall presets, then I use the JVM footswitch to access Master Volume 2 as a solo boost. I don't do this too often because I usually have enough presets on the FPP, but at least I know can do this with these two devices.

Good luck with your gear. Have a great day.

SkyMonkey and PowerTube44 like this.
  13. PowerTube44

True. That's always an option, but I would much rather have the GT-100 automatically switch to the desired channel within each patch.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  14. SkyMonkey

I'm not sure further channel switching can be done from a GT-100 from within a patch.
    Once you select a patch, the programmed channel is all you'll get.
    If the JVM footswitch can be used purely as a Channel switcher, that would be your best bet once the patch has been selected.

PowerTube44 likes this.
  15. Leonard Neemoil

Leonard Neemoil Active Member

No, the most gey thing about the jvm4 and the new dsl100hR is the lag when switching channels. What a bunch of dopes Marshall are!

Take a perfect sounding dsl, add a bunch of crap options nobody needs and end up with a sound gap when switching channels now? Wtf?!

Should've just fixed the run away bias and conductive board and called it a day. Instead, they do all that other garbage and still have problems.

Rant over.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  16. MonstersOfTheMidway

Give it a go with the GT-100 and the JVM410H via MIDI. Hook 'em up and let us know how it goes.

17. PowerTube44

But here's the thing. I don't care about changing any other settings within a given patch. All I'm after is to be able to switch between the four channels. If it can do that, then problem solved.

It's very simple: Change to Channel A, Channel B, Channel C, or Channel D.

I would make settings on the amp within each channel and leave them there. All I need is channel switching.

fitz288 likes this.
  18. PowerTube44

I don't currently have a JVM. When I had mine, I never hooked the GT-100 to it because I was using the Carvin X100B. Then I ultimately sold the JVM. It might have been a mistake, but it was the right thing at the time.

I'm considering getting another JVM and that's why I'm exploring this.

19. SkyMonkey

I think the problem is that to effect a Channel change requires a MIDI Program Change number (PC#).
    There is only one PC# associated with each patch.
    You could set up one patch with all the effects you want and clone it for the whole Bank (4 patches) then save each one using a different JVM channel for each, in ascending gain order.
    Switching this way with my DSL40CR and GT-100 is pretty much instantaneous.

fitz288 and PowerTube44 like this.
  20. fitz288

This is what I did on the 6101/GT-8.
    Just 3 patches, all the same, except for the channel (and a little EQ adjustments).
    I was only using some TBE in the loop for a little chorus and reverb - no front end needed.

SkyMonkey likes this.