Anyone Still Rocking Their YJM

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ufguy73, Mar 1, 2021.

1. twangsta

twangsta Active Member

I almost bought one but I'm glad I got a traditional RR100 build. That and the 308 gets me close enough.

They are definitely hard to find now, I remember reading they were the best recent issue amps in general.

I wish fender would reissue their malmsteen overdrive.

ufguy73 likes this.
  2. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

It's kinda absurd that Marshall hasn't put that attenuator into their other amps.

ufguy73 and MonstersOfTheMidway like this.
  3. snark

snark Active Member

I've got 2 of them and they sound great...

bigbadorange and ufguy73 like this.
  4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I think the attenuation feature might be useful in certain Marshall (depending on how it would affect the sound quality/"feel" of a particular Marshall amp).

But the one feature I think should absolutely be in ever Marshall is auto bias. In the past, I used auto bias in YJM100 and the AFD100 (yes, they both have auto bias); it was a easy to use and so useful that I completely fell in love with this feature! For example, if you are changing venues (such as rehearsal space or home) and the power from a venue measures different from your home or wherever, the auto bias will adjust the bias for whatever measurement is coming from the wall (or wherever).
    A better explanation is from the AFD100 owner's manual:

We recommend either engaging the auto-bias function every time the
    amplifier is powered-up (like a warm-up procedure) or at least
    performing the operation every time the amplifier is moved to a
    different place. This will ensure that the amplifier is taking care of
    possible mains voltage variations and adjusting itself to the different
    conditions.​

Additionally, auto-bias in the YJM100 and AFD100 will let use use just about any power tube type (it will even let you mix power tube types, though the sound quality is subjective among owners/users when used this way). Because auto bias monitors ever power tube, I don't think you need to buy a matched quad (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). But the fact that you can use any power tube type in YJM100 and AFD100 is such a bad-ass feature that I really think it should've been in ever Marshall since both YJM100 and AFD100 were produced.

5. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

totally agree - the auto-bias, once you have experienced it, is sooooooo nice

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  6. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Auto-biasing right now :coffee:

Then it's Red Hot time ...

ufguy73 likes this.
  7. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Absolutely my YJM is the closest thing that has come to dethroning my JVM410. Good thing its mostly a one trick pony, but that is a trick that is does very, VERY well. However, imho, there is a lot more going on than marshall lets on. None of my marshall 4-holers with a dod OD or any other OD sound anywhere near as good as my yjm does with the built in boost. Granted they still sound very good, but the YJM is just a whole new level. If its not the JVM410h that gets buried with me, it will be my YJM

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  8. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

I remember that, although I thought it was using an external attenuator while using the internal one.....havn't looked it up in a while.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  9. crossroadsnyc

Yeah, I don't even bother with an external boost anymore, as the internal boost sounds better ... just sounds so much more natural, and a part of the amp.

10. crossroadsnyc

It could be ... I really have no idea, as I thankfully haven't experienced any problems.

11. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

does this sound like the issue:

“I had the accursed noise gate issue with mine about 6 months ago. My problem, and I understand that this is cause in general, was that I used a boost infront of, and the internal boost at the same time. Apparently Marshall never thought of anyone doing this as doing so fries the noise gate. This also make the amp unusable in general, not just when the gate is activated. Thankfully, my YJM was still under warranty and was quickly repaired by a local Marshall authorized repairman. Marshall has a replacement board for the noise gate that solves the problem and allows for internal, external, and combined boosts. The repair cost me nothing and I was only without my amp for a week.”

12. crossroadsnyc

I really don't know, and I don't believe there's a definitive answer to it. Either way, your worst case scenario is to just replace the chip, which I think I remember reading costs about 25 cents.

ufguy73 likes this.
  13. jhs5150

jhs5150 Member

th
    Funny, I just read yesterday that even though Marshall made the YJM sig. model he actually plays through and prefers 1987s from '72/3. Go figure. At least Satch really uses his JVM/JSs.

14. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

i would think it’s mostly a live/touring thing with him (ie not wanting to subject his vintage amps to the road, etc)

Crikey likes this.
  15. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I bought my YJM brand new back in 2012, and gigged it till 2018, when I bought a used Vintage Modern. I got to the point where I was afraid something was going to happen to it.

16. jhs5150

jhs5150 Member

Have you seen is stage setup? 30 Marshall heads piled to the ceiling - all 4 holers. Of course he only plays one or two to them.

17. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

What would he save them for? Hes got plenty of techs

18. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

no idea, just saying it wouldn’t surprise me he doesn’t use the modern resissues in the studio or for recording

19. crossroadsnyc

He says he's used his YJM100 on every album/recording since it came out, and also says he uses them live. I'm guessing he also has a few old favorites that are in the mix as well.

Crikey and ufguy73 like this.
  20. King matthew

King matthew New Member

I’ve had a YJM for many years. It’s been an awesome amp, but It has developed an issue with top I input. It sounds like a wet blanket over the amp when I use that input. The bottom I and both II inputs sound fine. But it makes it impossible to jump both inputs. Anyone else had this issue? Or any idea of the fix? Thanks.