Anyone Still Rocking Their YJM

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ufguy73, Mar 1, 2021.

1. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

Don’t hear as much about these anymore - but curious who is still playing through theirs vs who has moved on and why?

2. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Yeah, good point as I've noticed that too. When I first signed up here they were all the rage and almost all anyone talked about regarding new Marshalls... I hear nothing about them any more Haha.

MonstersOfTheMidway and ufguy73 like this.
  3. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

4. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, just about every single day :yesway:

5. crossroadsnyc

Btw., I think the reason they're not discussed that much anymore is because they were limited in numbers, they aren't easy to come by, and when you can find one, they are quite a bit more expensive than they were when the were released (value has gone up considerably).

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

7. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

any service issues of note (ie beside normal tube issues)?

8. crossroadsnyc

Not a single one, and I've put more hours on it than any amp I've ever owned (by a wide margin). I know there were a handful that had some chip go bad, but it's apparently a very cheap/easy fix. I feel sorry for the folks that got spooked by it. Nobody has really been able to identify why, but from what I gather, it sounds like it had to do w/boosting the amp w/an external boost while simultaneously using the internal boost (fried the chip?). Not sure exactly. Either way, in the grand scheme, it was/is a non-issue. Unless mine blows up, I'll take it to the grave.

ufguy73 likes this.
  9. crossroadsnyc

Wait, didn't you own one?

ufguy73 and Dogs of Doom like this.
  10. CloverGrass

CloverGrass New Member

This looks like an interesting feature...did Marshall ever use this for any other amp? Pros or cons? It might have been cool to use this for the SV20...
    "6. Built-in, infinitely variable Attenuator control which can take the output stage from 100% to 0.01% and anywhere in-between, while retaining the all-important tone and feel of the all-valve power section. This means the output power can be reduced to a staggering low of 0.05 Watts when in 50W power mode."

Maggot Brain and ufguy73 like this.
  11. crossroadsnyc

Dude, the YJM can get so quiet that it's too quiet. It's remarkable how they were able to pull that off. The only other amp that has that technology is the AFD100. The only con is that when you attenuate to the super low levels, you lose some of the breakup w/the volume up ... though, you can compensate a bit w/the built in boost (not the same, but still very useable and an acceptable tradeoff imo).

Maggot Brain, ufguy73 and CloverGrass like this.
  12. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

moi?

13. crossroadsnyc

Yeah, I mean, you're right in that it's been a long time since that's been a hot topic, but I had a flash memory of you having owned one.

ufguy73 likes this.
  14. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

damn, i haven’t really been active on here for the longest time...and it’s been a hell of a long time since i did own a YJM...

BUT - guilty as charged! Lol

first, it must be said i am a complete amp ho - but I did own one and then ended up moving on - but I am starting to see the potential error in my ways, so i may look to rectify that.

one of the reasons why i moved on was the build aspects just bugged me - relative to other turret board constructed ‘boutiques’ (eg Metropoulos, Germino, Suhr, etc) higher end pcb amps (eg Friedman, Soldano, etc)....but I sort of realized a fundamental, personal truth.

‘If it doesn’t have the sound and feel i want, does it really matter how well built it is?’

so, I had several Friedmans, Metropoulos, Germinos, Bogners, Wizards, Etc - but they just don’t have THAT tone and feel I want.

It’s something about the marshall mids (where they sit, their voicing), the attack and the feel, and the way the notes sustain/bloom and how that affects the gain character that i am realizing i miss in other M-style amps.

so, it has me thinking back to how ‘right’ the YJM seemed to me straight out of the box and whether i was on to something way back then.

there was also the EPA’s negative impct on the gain - but I do a lot of slaving into separate power amps, now, anyway so if it really bugs me I have other options that i use with all my other amps anyway.

so, i am thinking...and since owners have had many more years with their YJMs i thought i would check in on them lol

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  15. crossroadsnyc

I'll tell you a semi-secret. I've bounced around the idea in my head of hot-rodding mine, and have actually discussed this on an informal basis with 2 people that I respect and trust could do the work. Both politely declined. I think that kinda speaks volumes on their respect toward the amp. I still kinda want to hot-rod it though :hmm:

ufguy73 likes this.
  16. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

do you figure they declined on the basis of outcome or ease of modding?

17. crossroadsnyc

For those not familiar, here are a few clips.

This first one is rather new (and pretty good).

wntbtw likes this.
  18. crossroadsnyc

Have a Kemper? Here you go!

19. crossroadsnyc

I can't read someone's mind, but I don't have the impression that it's lack of knowhow or even outcome.

ufguy73 likes this.
  20. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

this amp even makes a Kemper sound phenomenal! :lol:

twangsta likes this.