Anyone played the AssHole 100?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by jchrisf, Aug 22, 2020.

1. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated with amplifiers! maybe more so than guitars. You probably know I love all types of Marshall's, I also have (after all these years) a few '68 JTM45, '75 Superlead (Arrendondo modified) and '67 Superlead (Lee Jackson modified) I've been a "Tone Chaser" since the late '70s.
    After many years with boutique amps I wanted something from my roots a Marshall with all the detail of modern technology: Master-Volume, Channel-Switching (Clean to High-Gain), Efx-Loop and didn't want things like built-in MIDI & IR, but with the tradition of Marshall.
    I was either going to have a Marshall 2203 modified by a competent builder or something else. That's where Dave came in, I probably could have worked with Mike Soldano or Reinhold Bogner I knew these guys but in Los Angeles one guy's name kept coming up "Friedman" and all of these builders
    including Suhr and Fryette started "modifying Marshall's" they all do Amazing work!

I picked up a New 2015 BE-100 and it was great but I found that I wanted more of the "Marshall Rawness" where the BE-100 was a bit "Too Smooth" kind of Neal Schon-like, I love his style but also appreciate Lynch, EVH, Sykes, Norum, Moore. I brought my two Marshall's the '75 & '67 modded heads to Dave back in 2015, he took a look inside both and we were able to build from my existing BE-100 most of the Characteristics of the Jose/Jackson mods but with Dave's knowledge of amp design, it did take a few trips to his shop but the results were better than I expected, wonderful sounding amp!
    Nothing is perfect but Dave does know Marshall's inside & out, and also to get killer "Marshall tones" without "the noise" from my early always maintained modded-Marshall's, it does take a "great ear" and knowledge not just building from a Schematic.

I use what works for me or I'll get rid of it (it's how I make a living) Dave was always cool with me but I also won't criticize other amps, be happy with what you have to "Make Music" that's the point right..........

\../

2. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

You know I love your playing. Course a good circuit mixed with your gun? Ripp'n.

I'm with you. Play. Rock jam whatever.

For me? I love my guitarist. Bad ass and jus what I needef.

mantrasky likes this.
  3. solarburnDSL50

This muther fucker rips! I love it!

My fav player.

4. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

These come up for sale all the time on TGP for decent prices.

5. mantrasky

Thank’s solar “keep on rockin”

\../

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  6. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

I didn't find that to be true .Like I said they did not sound alike .The AH reminded me more of a 3 chanel yeti/chupa.
    AH = unpollite
    BE = polite with a 3D ness sound

7. Zado

Zado Active Member

Thanks, that might be a plus for me, I was not a super fan of the BE polish-ness. It sits fine in certain situations, but I generally prefer a raw and more in your face sound.

renoman_89502 and jchrisf like this.
  8. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Everybody plays the asshole, sometimes, there's no exception to the rules, listen baby.....

9. jchrisf

LOL.. I hope this thread gets featured in the weekly update email :)

Just think of all the folks who don't regularly post here but get the email and see this

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Zado

Zado Active Member

Yeah that'd be cool! But we need demos to give the topic some props!

11. jchrisf

12. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I have a BE100 and a Dirty Shirley 40. Fantastic amps. I’ve emailed Friedman with questions a few times and I got on-point replies every time from Dave Friedman the same day. They make a very good product that does Exactly what they say it does. I still remember the first time I plugged into my first Friedman. Took all of 30 seconds to dial it in with killer tones with no pedals. I’m totally happy. I also had a Pink Taco which was a great amp I sold to get the BE100. You can buy Friedman’s brand new from a Guitar Center, Musicians Friend and Sweetwater. The amps are pricey but totally worth it.

13. solarburnDSL50

I mean it. I so enjoy a guitarist that tickles my ear while owning that fretboard. Phrasing, melody and smackdown. :agreed::jam:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. solarburnDSL50

No. I only like the Phil X and Jake E Lee Friedmans. The toss my salad amp and pink taco amps ...no. However whatever Friedman's choice is shouldn't reflect your guitar play'n. Or wallet.:D Yes I'm Fucking off!:lol:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  15. mantrasky

I completely agree with you liking the Phil X & JEL, interestingly George Lynch Unleashed in the East reunion tour was using 2-Phil X (also modified Marshall's, Roland JC-120). That's the reason why I had Dave modify my BE-100, it was a little "Polite" but now it's like
    combining my 2015 BE-100, Jose & Jackson mods with Dave's designing know-how in "One Amp" and I also Love the Clean Channel, I expressed how I wanted more Fender Twin/Deluxe with Vox-like voices. Dave did all of the modifications (rebuilding) it did take a Few trips
    to his shop but it sounds great! I wanted that Marshall "rawness" with the Negative-Feedback, touch sensitive "Punch" with a Superlead/Plexi/JTM45/2203-switching, we also swapped Transformers (Heyboer OT/Classic Tone HT/Mercury Magnetic choke) quality USA parts though out.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  16. Zado

Zado Active Member

I guess we can all agree he makes good sounding amps, noone is arguing that, one may like them or not, but those are indeed nice beasts.

Honestly if I had to buy a 50-100w tube head right now (which is not the case, unfortunately), I'd go Splawn Competition, Bray Coco (the demos are stellar to say the least), or BRBS 100. Rawer, raspier, more in your face.

17. mantrasky

A friend has a Splawn Quickrod and that amp sounds “monstrous” great sounding amp and another friend loves his “Wizard” and it sounds awesome, kind of like a HIWATT & Marshall together with Rick’s design, solid built......

The cool thing with Ceriatone, they’ll modify anything you want with no or nominal cost that most amp companies won’t.....

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  18. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

I am sure your comparison is accurate.. however I am not sure that the conclusion is due to it being a ceriatone.. I would make the identical observation as you when comparing the 50W 2266 to the 100W 2466 Vintage Modern

19. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

I love Ceriatone amps and Nik is a great guy. I have had many email conversations with him and he is a very helpful nice guy. I would never say a bad thing about Ceriatone. The fact is they do not sound the same .

20. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Does poking one count :shock: