Anyone own a Silvertone amp?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Maggot Brain, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon some videos of vintage Silvertone amps from the 60s. A local guitar store has a few and it got me curious. I see the prices are quite reasonable when it comes to gear of that vintage. I own an early 60s Alamo Capri that I love and adore, sounds like a Fender champ... Anyways..

Ive stumbled onto the Silvertone 1484 piggyback amp combo... WOWOWOWOWOWOOOW I am in LOVE. This amp sounds so damn mid 60s I just love it so much. When I watch videos they just sound old, it excites and most importantly inspires me. I have always owned Marshalls and Peaveys and after discoving these amps, I am realizing I need to change it up and experiment with new sounds.

Anyone own a Silvertone? Pros and cons? I know they were an economy type amp from Sears/Dan Electro etc. I really think I am going to pull the trigger on one soon and curious what other's think.

2. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I found one a couple years ago on top a of a friends rubbish heap. Its been on my bench waiting for me to eventually restore it. Its a two channel 1483.

Maggot Brain and Dwayne Eash like this.
  3. Dwayne Eash

Dwayne Eash Active Member

I'm sure I have, probably several times, but not for long periods of time. I visited a lot of music stores. They have a sweet vintage vibe, simple and yet tones are rich, and rhythm has a nice growl to it, not too aggressive, better know for it's cleans.

The cleans and approaching dirt, can be amazing on this amp. Put in some really nice preamp tubes for it to really shine. Stock, it is not fancy. A great project amp platform. This was back in the day when harmonica player might play through the same kind of amp, as one of these. Or a guitarist.

For not being a high gain amp, as I'm more of a rocker, I was seriously impressed with it's clean side of things. Oh yes, I guess to get much distortion or overdrive, you want to overdrive the power tubes, other wise in stock form was a fairly clean amp.

They sorta seemed like a mini PA system, and sounded pretty good for such a modest thing overall. I have a soft place for amps like this. The Gibson GA-5, was it, I played one that sounded about as good. But for me, I would give the lean to the Silvertones, but the GA5 I checked out, had a small speaker, so it was hard to compare very well.

I'm a bit of a Marshall purist. But even though these amps are not really Marshall type amps, they can get quite lively and tone rich in their own right. I think they take pedals pretty well. Fun little amp, and can sound fabulous.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    nickfox and Maggot Brain like this.
  4. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I had one when I was a kid.
    Very cheaply made, and generally true PTP wiring. An occasional binding strip or two, but no real turretboard. An inexpensive speaker in a fiberboard combo cabinet.
    But when you are almost a teenager, anything sounded like heaven. I remember the cheap aluminum faceplate and plastic knobs. I learned countless Beatles, Stones and Who songs on a guitar that hurt my fingers after only an hour of practice.

I wish I had kept it, it would be worth a lot by now...

5. Maggot Brain

This video has sold me! Every chord, every note this guy plays just oozes 60s. I have never heard an amp with this voicing. The perfect grit for that early to mid 60s rock n roll. I had always adored this tone but always figured it was the recording process that produced the sounds. I am very excited to discover an amp with this character. I have owned many Marshalls, a few Fenders, a bunch of old Peaveys and a few other random amps. I am really excited to have discovered these amps and I already feel inspired to play and create with it.

BatmansMarshall likes this.
  6. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Never owned one but lots of guys in the Detroit garage rock scene used them. They can sound great for raunchy, bluesy stuff. I agree with Micky that they are kind of cheaply assembled but lots have managed to survive. I wouldn't mind having one some day. They're cool.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

A few
    1483 is my favorite ,have 3 of 'em .Turned REM on to em a few years back ,they ususally had one onstage their last few tours
    1482 is also a favorite
    1484's good ,it just has more bells n whistles . Im supposed to be rebuilding one for a friend ,but Im backed up with projects

1483 actually saved my ass , from plunkin down the money on an 18-20w Marshall
    I ended up finding 3 1483's at a pawn shop ,the guy let me have em for 70 bucks apiece ,although one didn't work...he says,'You'll fix it ...."

8. Maggot Brain

Every post of yours I stumble across you got either a sweet video of your playing, sweet amps or sweet guitars!

Checking the ones out at the local music store before the virus hit I could tell they were cheaply produced. Lightweight particle board cabs etc but they were all in great shape. My Alamo is built like that but is in near perfect condition, lightweight and fun/easy to move around and jam on.

From what I am reading about them, seems like they are cool little amps that have a little cult fallowing or appreciation.

9. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Wow Im gonna have to get mine built. That sounds great Alvin! Mines in awful shape. The face is all rusted and the headbox was disintegrating. I pulled the tolex off of it and bathed the whole box in wood glue to halt the decay and then I glued the cover back on. Need to take some time and get to work on it one of these days. I got the schematics off the net for it so it shouldnt be to terribly hard.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  10. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Silvertone amps are known to have somewhat wimpy output transformers so be nice to it. Make sure your speaker connection is ROCK solid, it will not stand for a no load situation, also make sure your tubes are in good shape. These amps are great sounding amps on a budget, Fenders they are not, corners were cut. I love them though and if you take care of it, it should serve you for years.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  11. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

12. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Silvertone 1482's I love dearly, a minty '65 and a road worn '67 I made a few minor updates to. I made a compilation video of them years ago.

My 1482's never met a dirt pedal they didn't love. This one is a little different. I bought a Bogner Uberschall distortion pedal on one of those 24 hour stupid deal of the day sales and pretty much hated it with every amp I own. The ONLY amp it works with is the 1482. :rofl: Here it is with my '67 making very UnUberschall tone. Looper pedal jam recorded with a 2nd Looper pedal and a SM57.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  13. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I've been a big fan of Alvin's work on guitar and amps for years. I got a mean case of 1483 gas from seeing earlier vids of those that Alvin posted somewhere and looked for one for a long time. Alvin - I wish I had your skills my friend. I picked up a Bassman 70 and a Rockmaster preamp for $25 from a guy that was basically just clearing out the remaining non-working junk after selling off all of his stuff. I fixed the Rockmaster and have it in my rack and I'll get the Bassman 70 running but it would be a much better amp "Tweedified" if that's possible with the ultralinear OT. :cheers:

I bought my '67 1482 for $185 when 1482's were selling for $350 - $400 because the seller said it wasn't working. I brought a guitar and cable with me when I went to buy it so I could test it myself. The cable between the OT and speaker was spiced in the middle with a piece of lamp cord hand twisted in and taped with electrical tape and the connection to the speaker was even worse and the problem the amp. He poked the wires through the holes in the speakers terminals and then folded the wires back on themselves and twisted them together like a bread tie. The speaker was connected with wire loops passing through the terminals. :shrug: I pinched them down and the amp started passing a signal. Seeing it working and how simple the fix was he squirmed a little about selling the amp to me at his listing price but ultimately let it go. :D

The amp Danelectro put in the Silvertone amp in case Eric Johnson is playing through in Lo-Tec's post above was also sold by Danelectro as a small 1 x 8 combo, the DM10. Similar to the '60s Silvertone amps the cabs were made of the cheapest materials imaginable but Nat Daniels had a way of making the most out of cheap parts. I found one of those on Craigslist also "non-working" for $50. I could see in the pictures the seller posted that one of the preamp tubes had gone milky white. When I got to his house I confirmed the tube was cracked and lost it's vacuum. The amp has two 12AX7 tubes and both the broken one and the good one were vintage Mullards. I replaced the bad one when I got home and the amp was fine. The only issue it had beyond needing normal service and power cable updating was the caps for the tremolo needed to be replaced. That amp is a total Champ killer if you run it through a bigger cab. Here it is dimed and boosted with a SD-1 running through the pine 212 cab in the background. Cell phone video so please excuse the crappy recording. It was a little too much for the cell phone's mic but you can tell in the vid it sounded like a beast in the room.

BatmansMarshall likes this.
  14. Wildeman

Hells yes:dude:

15. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

never seen or heard one that made me look twice. not my bag.
    never have been a fan of brands like silvertone, tesco, danelectro...........
    the department store stuff.

16. Wildeman

I'll tell ya, that stuff used to be alot more fun before it became vintage! A Teisco looks great for $25.00, $400.00 not so much.
    I'm priced out of all that stuff now, a $400.00 Epiphone or Fender/Squier just kills most of that stuff in every way. Those are guitars i was talking about though, amps are a bit different, there aint no competition for a 1484 for $600.00.....no competition, unless you get lucky, you know the guys, " look at my '71 Super Reverb i got for $600.00".

17. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Some people just miss it ...
    For me , Jimmy Page , Cooder, Lindley,Link Wray etc....
    these pieces do stuff that a Les Paul or whatever "official" piece of gear , absolutely cannot do

18. ricksdisconnected

i don't know bro. just a 1 trick pony from the 2 or 3 videos
    i just watched. but that's my opinion only.
    ive never been a huge fan of most vintage amps either though.
    some are nice but most lack the luster i look for when buying gear.
    i like more modern tones for the most part but rarely pass up
    vintage fenders. you can find old bandmasters and bassmans in this
    area starting at around $700 if your patient.
    im like ok i can get this vintage 1484 for $600. or i can throw in another $300
    and now im in the ballpark of a used Friedman runt 20 or a nice fender deluxe used.

19. ricksdisconnected

like what?
    and are they doing something desirable even?

Dwayne Eash likes this.
  20. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Uh....Kashmir ?