Anyone know anything about SUNN SOLARUS amps?

Purgasound

Reaction score
There's a dude selling one for $350. Some simple mods done to it that can easily be reversed. I can't find any sound clips or any information about these at all. There is a video on you tube of this amp but I don't care how any amp sounds clean, I need to hear dirty! That's all I play.
Dude says it's from the late sixties.
Are these NMV?
Tube rectifier?
loud?
Output impedance?
quality?
worth the price?
Any information would be appreciated.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey AV. The Sunn Solarus is a very well built single channel all tube amp. I believe it has a 5U4GB rectifier in it. It has reverb and tremelo. I guess you could compare it to an early 50 watt 800, although I think Sunn used mammoth transformers. I've seen all sorts of power tubes in these amps and a lot are modded. It's hard to find a stock one. The one I played (belonged to a friend) had EL34's in it. This model and many other SUNN amps are rising steady in value. I screwed up and missed getting a SUNN Enforcer. Probably one of their best 100+ watt heads. Boy I'm still sore about that. Here is some interesting facts about SUNN.

In early 1963, The Kingsmen, a band based in the U.S. state of Oregon, became famous for the song "Louie, Louie". The song made The Kingsmen household names as it progressed up the charts. With a hit single under their belts, The Kingsmen soon embarked on a fifty-state national tour. Because the band was used to playing small hops and school dances, many of the members found themselves ill-equipped with the amplifiers that they were currently using. Bassist Norm Sundholm discovered that his bass amp was not nearly powerful enough to play larger concert halls. Sundholm enlisted the help of his brother Conrad to help solve his problem. By 1964, the Sundholm brothers had designed the world's first high powered concert bass amplifier. By 1965, the demand for Sundholm's amplifiers had increased to the point where the family garage could no longer be used as the manufacturing facility. Thus, the Sunn Musical Equipment Company was born.

Artists that used Sunn amplifiers include Velvet Underground last era, The Who, The Moody Blues, Cream, Mountain, Steppenwolf, Kiss, Rush, The Melvins, Queen, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Here is some wienie with one. Peace, out.:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHtOnb65cvI]YouTube - Sunn Amplifiers Solarus/ Vintage Big Muff Demo Ty Pod[/ame]

equilibrium78

Reaction score
I worked on this amp before. It's a solid amp what i had to replace was 6AN8 tube and a 12AX7. Plus along with some caps inside and the 6550 power tubes. To get 6AN8 tube look online for NOS tubes. This tube is the heart of the amp. It is a pre-amp and power amp tube in 1 tube. Most Sunn amps have this tube inside of them. You cannot replace the 6AN8 with a regular preamp tube!!!