Anyone here with EMG experience?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by _ripper_, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

wow a lot of very opinionated hearing with eyes going on in this thread lol...

There are MANY different models of EMG pickup, including passives.

They are not designed for metal like so many seem to regurgitate, although many a hi gain player enjoy the response, clarity and interaction they provide, myself included. I had 19 guitars at one time all with EMGs of various model. What you notice is the guitar is more important than the pickup IMHO as the same pickup (the same physical pickup) in various guitars always sounded and felt different.

The EMG website has an FAQ section which fully answers all the questions most people have.

My favorite EMG user plays guitar for an old band called Pink Floyd which is definitely not metal.

I bought a $200 fender squire and installed a $350 EMG SAV set in it, and the guitar sounds like a $1500 strat.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

It´s amazing how EMGs generate such love and hate. I personally love them, love dimarzio, duncan, bkp... anything that sounds good to my ears is good enough to me.

3. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

I have 4 guitars. 1 guitar with an EMG 81's it's funny when I first got the LTD Deluxe I thought it sounded off 5 years later I love the EMG's and tone of the Korean ESP and I wouldn't change anything about the guitar.

4. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

EMGs seem to create a lot of controversial opinions, I can perfectly understand why.

I used to be on both sides of the camp, first EMG hater, then lover once I tried em out.

In the end it was mostly shit I read on the internet and now a few years later I think I have finally gotten to the point where I had enough experience with both active and passive pickups of various brands to be able to say: they all have their use, their strengths and weaknesses and there is no right or wrong.

I currently have EMGs in two guitars, Seymour Duncans in another and DiMarzios in yet another. They all do their job and I couldn't care less what brand they are, I've chosen em because each guitar has a job and the pickups reflect that.

My HSS Strat needs to be versatile and cover a lot of ground, I hate 60 cycle hum so after a lot of fiddling I have settled on a DiMarzio Paf Pro for the bridge and the humcancelling Area 67 for the middle and 58 for the neck. I can cover everything from blues to heavy metal with that guitar, I have no hum and in a mix or live no one can even tell the singles are humcanceling.

My ESP Eclipse has the Duncan Custom/Jazz combo and goes from rock to metal if need be.

My other 2 guitars with the EMG 81/60 set cover all my heavier music styles yet with a bit of manipulation of the volume and tone pots and my picking dynamics I can play even blues on them if need be.

I have to yet find a pickup that is as fast tracking and responsive in the low end, cuts like a knife and is unforgiving as the EMG 81. The 60 is a lovely clean and lead pickup

Then again I love my Duncan Custom as a rhythm pickup for the added dynamics and zing and the DiMarzio Paf Pro is just spitting out harmonics all day long like it's nobodies business.

EMGs are good pickups. They are suited better for certain styles than others. DiMarzio and Duncan have great models as well that work better for other stuff. The BKPs I used to have were some of the best pickups I ever heard for clarity and string seperation.

In the end all that matters is you. If you're a good player and musician you will sound good no matter what you play. All the rest is just finetuning the last 10%, without the 90% of your chops that should come first it doesn't mean jack.

Just my :2c:

5. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I used to have a few guitars with EMG 81 85 sets back in the day. After awhile I found I liked passive pickups better than active. I think passive pickups allow for more dynamics when it comes to tone from your picking technique and fingers. 57 classics and burst bucker pros for me. Just my personal opinion.

6. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

Pickups are entirely subjective really want to open a can make a post on Alnico vs Ceramic. I will say this anyone who says all EMG guitars sound the same are full of shit every guitar has it's own tone. I've never had any two guitars that sound the same regardless of pickups.

Amadeus91 likes this.
  7. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Theres nothing wrong with keeping differently-branded pickup sets.

Because theres everything right in owning variety and range in tone within your guitar collection.

For me, the best pickup set is one with a plethora of tone possibilities. Everything from the plinky-tink weak to the metal of overwound alnico 5's and ceramics, to these EMG low-impedance, hi-output active one.

This may surprise most when I explain one of my favorite pickups are a prototype-set of EMG early SA's the singlecoil active strat ones. Very clean but bell-like and punchy they rip.

But the one pickup I prefer since '82 and my go-to will always be the Duncan '59.

Like they say in space exploration: the "Goldilocks Zone." Not too hot or too cold but "just right" range, right in the middle to do practically everything

8. fifteenohms

Not so with Seymour Duncans. One model several decades apart will sound identical because of strict batch test methods standards and linear ownership the history of the company.

I could swap my Custom Bridge model from 85 with the one from 97 or 2008 and you wont notice any difference, if in the same guitar. But sometimes that color character will shade many other guitars with a Duncan Custom to sound that way too.

I like my Burstbuckers too, but that line of pickups may soon end with new Gibson ownership. I dont trust Gibson to stay as consistent as Duncan.

9. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Like the Strat, just not the tone. Installed Gilmour loaded EMG pickguard into an American Strat. Played a few times, put in case for 3 or 4 years before selling it. Don't miss the guitar, or the pickups.

10. fifteenohms

The original SA version was potted in beeswax. Theyre not the same pickup.

11. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

i had emg's once on a tele and it wasnt that bad ....but i had a scooped tone out of it.....they re still here somewhere in a box

12. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I had an ESP Strat-type w 81/85 and it wasn't any louder than my Tele with Duncan Quarter Pounders. But that guitar happens to be loud as shit. I sold the ESP but I've been thinking a lot about building something around the 57/66 combo.

13. Filipe Soares

my "tele" has 89/89R so it's a tele, it's a superstrat, it has two humbuckers. it's like a duck: it flys, runs, swins and shits.

14. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

As long as it doesn't take a shit in the middle of a gig, you're golden.

Filipe Soares likes this.
  15. grainman

sorry they were emg's tele single coils pick ups..i bought the guitar like that.but like i said it wasnt wrong till i bring it back to original specs....im not into metal and i guess these were made more for that genre

16. Filipe Soares

actually I made this guitar from different parts carefully chosen. It´s a ash body, maple top, 89/89R, gold hardware with trans black top. I´ve a lot of time to think about it and put it together. It´s not a tele, but it´s an amazing ¨tele¨. it´s mucho more of a superstrat than a tele... but I love it. I love ¨real¨ teles too. but this one I made to be my all around guitar.

Btw. i don´t think the 89 is metal. It´s a pretty balanced pickup, with a nice bottom end and a wonderful single coil sound (they´re like a 85 + SA) .

tele.jpg

She´s like a whore dressed to a fancy party...

grainman likes this.
  17. grainman

nice axe man...congrats

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

They should be hotter than most PU's but the duncans are very hot as well. I didn't like mine, I want a little imperfection in my PU to make it interesting.

19. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Did not like no tone mite be great for some metal. Depends on the amp you plug in to . Pafs and a sg work for me